OT-Whitesnake New

• Just got the new Whitesnake and have to say there are some songs that really, really smoke. Great effort from DC and Doug Aldrich. The album spans many different WS efforts. Definitely Recommended. FUNK is next.

• The DPAS is reporting that Whitesnake's new one hit the charts at #6 in the UK and they think it may be #1 in it's second week! It's a goodie alright!! :claphands

• listening to GTTB at the moment! Very good album overall with some standout tracks. DC describes it as muscular. It certainly is :eek: Heavy in parts. Overall a cross between 1987 and Slip of the Tongue, with a few nods and winks to the 'Old Whitesnake' pre 1987 and Coverdale Page thrown in. A few great tracks, Best Years, Lay down your love, and Till the end of time. My 4 year old daughter is singing the chorus of lay down your love :clapper: Must be catchy :)

Rhythm section is very good. The bass is really heavy through my proper hifi, and the new drummer Chris is great. Although i love tommy a, never had the tough and feel for some snake songs.

Best wishes to you all out there,

Paul J

• He did an interview on my friend Kev McDempster's show (who also recently interviewed Glenn) and Kev reckoned that this is the album that DC was going to end Whitesnake on as a studio or touring band. He wanted to go out of the mainstream rock scene on a high "rather than being dropped." So it sounds like phase one has been achieved ie the album is well received.

This new album of Glenn's is gonna blow your socks off in a totally different way. I received an email yesterday from a huge WS fan who I introduced to GH through Fused/Soul Mover. This guy now reckons that Glenn is the only credible singer left from that era including DC. As you say Paul, there are nods and winks to the past line ups on this album. And DC admits that Doug Aldrich approached the songwriting that way.

With Glenn, he has a fresh canvas every time he releases something. There's no baggage from the 80's that he has to blow off. He can express himself as he feels today not as a 50 something competing with his past and the comparisons with other line ups which you have clearly summarised there Paul. So yes I will be buying the Whitesnake album for posterity but there's no doubt what the highlight of the year for me will be and that's F U N K and that's June 7th in my hometown.

The real countdown begins. Two and a bit weeks and we have F U N K in our mits.

• Just got it, it went on sale in the US today....I think it's a grower rather than instant fire with me...but Im such a DC fan I know eventually I will get into it. Im digging the hell out of those four new songs in the gym from the live album...I so far don't hear anything as aggressive as them.

John

• I totally agree with you John. I didnt like the album at all when I heard it the first (and only) time. I didnt even buy it when I saw it in the shop .... that says something... But to my surprise the reviews and comments so far are 99% positive.

So like you state John, its probably a grower. I'll download the bastard first and see if I like it after a few spins. If so Ill buy the cd.....

I guess I expected something more in vain of classic bluesy Whitesnake like their lastest release Restless Heart instead of Coverdale trying to be 20 again with this overproduced album ala Slip of the Tongue ... :(

• Arjen: Not attacking here at all, but I don't think DC is trying to sound like he's 20. It's obvious throughout the album with the scratchy voice and all, he is perfectly at peace with his voice as it is. he is, and never has been, Glenn Hughes.

On one hand, we expect that the DCs of the world not to try and act 20, but at the same time, we certainly don't want them playing their age do we? It's a vicious cycle in a way.

This album is neither the best nor the worst Whitesnake has put forth. We certainly can't ask for any more than that at this stage of the game as poor efforts from once-mighty bands abound.

• Just picked up the album yesterday, and have given it a couple spins. It does seem like Coverdale is pushing for that classic '1987' album vibe...huge Les Paul-fueled guitar riffs with a few Sykes touches thrown in by guitarist Doug Aldrich. The current song titles escape me at the moment, but there are a couple nods to the songs "Still of the Night" and "Crying in the Rain" on there too. David seems to be infatuated with that embossed/wax seal type logo on the front of the last four WS albums. I don't hear much that harkens back to the pre-'Slide It In' days, but there are a couple nice acoustic touches on a couple songs.

Overall, I think it's a good effort. I think at times DC sounds like a cross between some of his raspier moments on the Coverdale/Page album and his bluesier, lower register days of yore.

Lastly, as I read Whitesnake song titles, I always get this sense of deja vu and end up checking other album song listings. LOL "Ready An' Willing to Say I Ain't No Love Hunter Walking in the Shadow of the Blues..."

Cheers....Todd

• Todd, that's exactly what I think about the album too.
    May I add though that the guitar solo on the first track is sooooo John Sykes, you could almost think it's John playing and not Doug Aldrich...
    I got the Limited Edition boxed set, incl. a sticker, a postcard, a poster and an enhanced bonus CD for only € 18,99 at a local store yesterday... :cool:

Cheers,
    Christian

• All i can say is that you can please some people some of the time, but not all people all of the time :rolleyes:

Some bands such as ACDC release the same album year after year and it is ok. Some like Snake release different sounding albums because they change line ups and it is not ok. They still sing about sex and have four songs per album with love in the title. Some 'fans' want to hear the 30 year old version of the band playing 30 year old style songs.

I like what DC has done with this album. I like Whitesnake because, well for many reasons. I want them to make rock blues based love songs about love and sex. They dont have to make the same song over and over, but i dont want them to start to make political songs in a jazz style.

Glenn is different in that he has on the whole made songs which amalgamate many styles of music and lyrics, and i love him for that :clapper: :bow: :)

Paul

• So, I bought the new Whitesnake album last week got to have something to listen to while I wait for the release of Glenn's new one! and I must say that I'm definitely enjoying it.

Yes, it has the usual shortcomings, (most notably the somewhat clichéd lyrical phrases the David has used 1,000 times already), and there's no denying what we all already know, that Coverdale's voice is but a ghost of its former self, but like the pro that he is, he knows his capabilities these days and he comports himself accordingly.

In a real sense, though, this album really isn't about Coverdale, it's about the band, it's about Whitesnake, and it is the band that takes front and center here.

The musicianship on display on this album is simply staggering, simply top-notch, simply
    superlatives fail me. Whatever weaknesses Coverdale may have at this point, they do not detract one bit from the accomplishment that this band has achieved with this album ' they carry and showcase DC brilliantly, making this album the most vital one that he has recorded since Coverdale/Page, and certainly the best album in the Whitesnake canon since the Serpens Albus/1987 release.

Though it features the dual guitar work of Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach, Aldrich as the principal songwriter along with Coverdale - has to get a special nod. He rocks like the second-coming of John Sykes, shades of whom are all over this album. Newcomer, drummer Chris Frazier, plays with much of the same energy and gusto as the recently departed Tommy Aldridge, propelling the band along nicely, while the rest of the band, keyboardist Timothy Drury, bassist Uriah Duffy, and second guitarist, the above-mentioned Beach, all add generously to the sonic brew.

Musically, it covers a lot of ground, with generous nods to the sounds of Whitesnake, both past and present, with the odd nod to the Coverdale/Page era in there too. Gone is the more laid back approach that characterized the most recent Coverdale and/or Whitesnake studio releases. The material here, even the slower pieces, has a more immediate intensity to it then anything DC has released recently, and most of the rest of the material bristles with the same kind of cyclonic musicianship that was a benchmark of the late 80's era incarnations of the band.

Truly, this album could be the catalyst for a new and revitalized era in the ongoing saga of the band, though one wonders how long Whitesnake can viably carry on at this point just the same. Coverdale has been less than prolific as far as studio albums go in recent years, and with his aging voice showing increasing signs of wear and tear, one can't help but wonder how many more times he can go back to the well.

Either way however, (regardless if this album is the debut album for the next era of the band's history, or simply the magnificent swan song release for a band that truly deserves to go out in style), 'Good to be Bad' is an album that the artist and fans alike should be proud of.

• david i'm not sure who's in the minority here, you or me, but i still like the new stuff that purple is doing. as a matter of fact, i thought that the rapture of the deep was a really good album (cd). and , although i did not nessasarily go bannanas for bannanas, i still thought it had some good stuff on there. even now, i have to feel that an o.k. purple release is a great deal better than most any other release by any other band. as for the new whitesnake, i just bought it, but unfortunantly for it, i also just bought the latest addition to the planet p saga "go out dancing" and being such a tony carey fan i had to put this one into heavy rotation first. but the bottom line for me here is that even though we may very respectfully disagree on some things musically, we still are brothers in all things glenn hughes, and there can be no argument when it comes to the great talent of our beloved papa.
    peace to you,

• After initailly being a bit 'iffy' about the new Whitesnake album, I find myself liking it more with each listen - plenty of great tracks here. I too read that Doug Aldrich tried to marry the 2 Whitesnake styles (pre and post '1987') and thought 'Yeah, he pretty much achieved that' - but then I listened to the 2 Burning Rain albums that Doug had made previously (both well worth checking out if you can find them btw) and the new Whitesnake also sounds like an extension of them....so, I guess the style of writing came pretty naturally to Doug.

• Have to say I agree with David on this.
    I haven't liked anything Purple has done since the Man In Black
    has left. I just don't think that Morse fits that band.
    As for Snake, Don't care much for the new stuff either.
    I don't think either of these guys know how to write two albums
    in a row that sound different or that really catch your attention.
    I haven't always liked all of Glenn's albums but at least he has
    grown since his Purple days & can write in many diff. styles.
    Not the same old same old tired formula. I just really get bored with bands like that. Just my opin.
    Cheers,
    Galleyfan

• I think you are a bit unfair on the current Deep Purple line up with Steve Morse, three of the 4 albums (Perpendicular, Bananas and Rapture of the Deep) In my view are top quality with plenty of interesting ideas, music and lyrics, yes they will never match the heights of the various line ups from 1970 to 1976 but they are still miles better than virtually any other classic rock band around and the band really sound as if they enjoy playing together.
    Old time fans are going to have to get over the fact that Ritchie will never rejoin Purple and there will never be a reunion, so just enjoy the band whilst you can.

Their real problem with Purple is a lack of faith in their modern material when it comes to playing live and the over reliance on Machine head for their live set, most of their fans would love to hear some of the modern classics off the Steve Morse albums.

As for the latest Whitesnake album, i`ve played it a couple of times and have lost interest already, it is simply heavy metal by the numbers and is pretty dull and unimaginative stuff, with lyrics that could have taken 10 minutes to write.
    Why didnt David carry on with a follow up to the "into the light" an excellent album where David actual sings rather than shouts. I suppose the answer is money, as the Whitesnake brand still draws a big audience and shifts a lot of units.

• This definitely a grower. I wasn't impressed when I first played it, but now I think it's a monster. DC at 80% of what he used to be is still better than most and Doug Aldrich is the star of the album. I've always liked his guitar playing and this is the best album he's played on. I hope this isn't the end for Whitesnake, but if it is what a way to go. :thumbup:

• I agree with the people who say the album is a grower. I was a bit disappointed the first time I listened to it but with each spin I like it better. I've seen some reviews that say this sounds like the old bluesy Whitesnake but I think it sounds rather modern. Aldrich is no John Sykes but I can see the comparisons. I wasn't very happy to hear Tommy Aldridge had left the band but I already knew Chris Frazier from his playing on Steve Vai's Passion and Warfare and he is a solid drummer. I give this album a 4 out of 5 and I hope this isn't their last record. It was good to see they played a lot of new songs when I saw them at graspop too and they were excellent as usual.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!