Robin Trower at B.B. King's 3/19/08

• After being down in VA for a week long roadtrip, I got back here last night and hopped the subway to see Robin Trower at B.B. King's. he played two nights on what is billed as his "First Farewell Tour". Don't know about that but I do know this. Mister Trower can still spin magic with that guitar! I had seen him twice in the early part of the decade and the set list was pretty much the same; open with "Day Of The Eagle", play the usual half dozen suspects and showcase the current CD.

Not this time...the old master had a few curve balls up his sleeve!

There was an opening act listed but come 8:00 they were nowhere to be seen and RT and his cohorts; vocalist Davey Pattison, bassist Glenn Letsch and drummer Pete Thompson took the stage and burst out of the gates with the title track for "Twice Removed From Yesterday"..And Robin dug deep into the catalog last night; "Victims Of The Fury" was dusted off and "Islands" got an airing as well. Throw in Hannah", "The Fool And Me" "Gonna Be More Suspicious", a sprinkling of newer tunes and an Olympian workout on "Bridge Of Sighs" and you had a fabulous evening of killer music!

The sound was clear and not too loud; Robin's tone was thick as a milkshake and golden...He doesn't dazzle you with flash,I had to think about Mel as he played..cause he made every note count! If pulling shapes is a crime Robin would be serving life in prison....but he is clearly enjoying his work and the audience loved every bent note and swirling chord!

I went next door to get a coffee before the show. I was walking back to the theater and passed a guy at the entrance who had a bunch of LP sleeves to sign. And standing there signing some of them was Robin himself! There may have been a meet and greet afterwards but I hit the road...I got my money's worth!

Now it's UFO on the 12th..can't wait! :thumbup:

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• a great read

i'm a big trower & pattison fan

good to read that glenn letsch (ex-gamma) is on board

got the Trower Rockpalast dvd from a few yrs ago, the guy must be around 70 or so, he just embarked on a major tour.....:claphands

• Roger loves Robin Trower...and we totally missed him when he was in Houston :(

We have the DVD of his 60th birthday party in Germany. When my son was just 3 years old he used to watch it over and over....one morning (5:00 a.m. mind you), I was getting ready for work - trying to force contacts into my shutting eyes and I hear my son get up and start shuffling through the DVD's. I figure I am about to hear Power Rangers or Barney....NOPE. Robin Trower! LOL! Yes...my son has always loved music. I go into the living room and ask him if he wants to play guitar like daddy and Robin Trower when he grows up...he says incredulously...NO...I want to sing like Davey :cool: Well...then we refound Glenn's music and he moved on to it...but he did go through the Davey Pattison stage for quite some time :lol:

• Hey Roger,

Yes, it was cool that he brought some old nuggets out of the cellar. No bull, no flash pots...the guys just hit the stage and laid it down! Robin isn't much for stage patter beyond; "Thanks a lot..we appreciate it" , he lets the guitar speak volumes.

Davey Pattison and Jimmy Dewar are cut from the same cloth of Glasgow soul. They even played "No Time" from the "Passion" CD, a time period that Robin has largely dismissed but it was fresh and vital. Robin's tone was killer; he was playing through two Marshall heads and two half stack speakers. He got his signature tone without being too loud and not letting the other players shine through.

I stood in the back of the room; the sound is clearer there and I was a bit tight for money; no 54 dollar oysters for me (Sorry Frank!! ;)) I will have to go to the website and buy a shirt or two...just so my niece can make fun of me for wearing rock t-shirts! :cool:

And he turns 63 in May...Keep on truckin' Mister Trower! :thumbup:

Yours In The Funk

• Hey Cap't --

Great show !!

Kenny and I saw Trower at the Culture Room in Ft.Lauderdale apprx. 2 years ago. He was awesome then too. Standing room only -- like a flash from the past. only thing different is there was clouds of cig smoke around us instead of weed. (!!) :eek:

Carolyn

• Great review. I love robin trower's music, and always i though that davey pattison is a great vocalist for his music.
    Robin TRower is one of my pending artist to see.
    I got a dvd recorded in 2005 i think, they played on rockpalast and was a perfect gig, great performance!! he got a orgasmic blues style!!!

-NANDO-

• Ah Bill, bringing the old man out of his mothballs for a comment :D

Remember the first of many times I saw Trower was the Felt Forum in NYC opening for King Crimson. I believe it was "74 or "75 ( I have a very hazy recollection of the seventies). He was outstanding and I have been a huge fan since. The chance to see him with Pattison in St. Pete two years back was memorable, except for the morons at the show who were more worried about their cell phones and where the bar was at. The music got lost in translation with everyone being pains in my behind. Of course, ALbuquerque is always skipped by this icon (who can blame him ?), so who knows where and when the next time will be. For now I live with the memories, no matter how cloudy they may be.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Hey Frank,

That was 1974, KC and RT toured together as a 3 act bill; Ten Years After was the headliner. Trower had an album in the Top 20 and was opening; KC had an album in the Top 50 and were second, TYA were past their prime at that point and were headlining..go figure!

The Stanley Warner Theater show was recorded; Trower would issue that recording on "That Was Then This Is Now" and KC's performance was broadcast on King Biscuit and the bulk of their show would later be issued as part of "The Great Deceiver" box set.

My brother saw KC 4 times in the 1973-74 time frame including their final show in Central Park on July 1, 1974.

Yours In The Funk

• Glad you caught him this time Bill! I guess you remember our previous dicussions about Robin- Susan! You missed a great show! Robin coming to town is close to being like Big Daddy coming to Houston for me- I never miss his shows unless I absolutely have to work! But of course I didn't follow Robin all over Texas- as I have been known to do for Glenn! Yes, if you were to brouse the forum over at the community at Trowerpower.com you would find a lot of info about the tours (and my little blurb). You would also find that the set list was pretty much the same here in Houston. "Hannah" was a surprise for me- I deliberately did not seek out the setlist prior to the show. I was very surprised about the closing oncore: The beautiful "Another Time Another Place"- and even more surprised when I saw the T-Shirts being sold with the words "Farewell Tour" on the back... oh, it did say "first" farewell tour! Don't be surprised if you see a smaller scale tour featuring Jack Bruce in the future. The new album is the best work done by these two- but I would prefer hearing Davey with Robin than any other living Trower vocalist!

• I just got the 2-CD set "RT in RO. 08" Seems that when Robin played in Royal Oak MI last year, the performance was filmed for a DVD. The audio was superb but the lighting was problematic; the decision was made to issue the audio anyway with several video clips added as bonus material. As it turns out, some of the usable video will make up part of a Comcast program.

I played this in the car while running a bunch of errands last Saturday; a crisp recording with the band in fine form. And I can fill in the blanks in the set list;

Twice Removed From Yesterday
    Shame The Devil
    For Earth Below
    No Time
    The Fool And Me
    Roads To Freedom
    Islands
    Day Of The Eagle
    Bridge Of Sighs
    Rise Up Like The Sun
    Victims Of The Fury
    Gonna Be More Suspicious
    Hannah
    Little Bit Of Sympathy
    Too Rolling Stoned
    Go My Way
    Another Time Another Place

You can get it direct from www.trowerpower.com

Yours In The Funk

• Will have to pick this one up in the immediate future. I have enjoyed Trower for seemingly forever, and try to ctch him at any time he is in the area. Does this DVD have Pattison singing ? last time I saw Trower with Davey the crowd was a bunch of nit-wits who went for the beer nd stayed for the show. They milled about and were on cell phones throughout the performance, and much of the brilliant guitar work was lost in the hub-bub. This will give e chance to relive a night that should have been amazing.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Yes Frank....along with Robin Trower, Davey Pattison is on vocals, Glenn Letsch plays bass and Pete Thompson is on drums. The same line-up will be back in the States in the spring. Hopefully they will be playing reasonably close to you!

Great stuff!!:bouncer:

Yours In The Funk

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!