• Glenn sang pretty abrasively with Trapeze, and then he sung so smooth with Purple. You can tell where he became a better singer as time went on. It is amazing that he was able to go from harsh to smooth. usually once you start singing harsh, you can't go back to smooth.

What do you all think?

• I don't get it. I never would think of the word "abrasively" associated with Glenn's voice. When I first heard Trapeze I was struck by the incredible range and that tone/timbre of Glenn's voice....it's a miracle to get them both together. He can use his voice aggressively or smooth....always has been able to since he has been making music. In Trapeze he sang as smooth as smooth can be....note the songs Chustler mentioned.

• "Abrasive" is a word I hadn't heard before, but I think I have a clue about what you mean. In my ears there's a certain kind of "rawness" in the way he sings in many parts of Black Cloud, for example. I like it, it's a young man using his amazing gift, singing his heart out. It's just great, the power he puts in it and the way it comes out as singing, not screaming.

"It's not what you say, it's the feeling that's the song"

• I disagree. I think some of his best singing was on a few of the Trapeze albums. In Deep Purple, I felt he sang well but had at times oversang swome of the songs. Not in a bad way mind you.

When he left Purple and recorded Play Me Out I felt he got back to the style of singing from the Trapeze days.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

Maz

• You guys got me wrong. The "abrasiveness" to his voice in Trapeze just kicked ass. I love it.

But you can see where he really refined his skill when he went to Deep Purple. My god, some of those vocals he did in Burn were just jaw dropping. It had such attitude, sharpness, and skill. WOW. I don't know if I have the words to describe it.

Then of course Stormbringer, and then Come Taste The Band were full of vocal brilliance, as well as the songwriting.

I unfortunately wasn't alive at the time, but I wish I was.

The point I am trying to make, is that I have seen some of Glenn's vocal development.

The guy has been so varied over the years and he has successfully blended hard edgy vocals with some of the smoothest, slickest tones possible.

I can't think of many who were able to do that, and I the ones that were able to do that, surely didn't last long. They lost that capability pretty quickly. Meanwhile, Glenn can still do it.

I mean, we don't know if Glenn can still pull off all of his vocals like he used to. He may or may not be able to do it, but we certainly know he can come close if he wants to, and he can still do it just about better than anyone else can.

One thing I'll add, is that is is great to be a Glenn Hughes fan because there is that "cheering" him on factor because of what he is capable of doing, how he still does it, and shows no sign of slowing down.

I love it when I introduce people to Glenn, and if they have any sort of musical intelligence or heart, they are always like "wow".

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!