Question for Tony Takano

• Tony,
    One of my north-west New Jersey television stations
    broadcasts from KBS, the Korean Broadcasting System.
    Thank God for English sub-titles!

I stumbled across the series: "The Immortal Admiral Yi Soon Shin."
    (The naval invasion of Korea in the 1600s. Korea / Japan)

Now I'm half-way through watching the 134 episodes of:
    "Dae Joyounge" (Set in the 7th century. Korea / Tang, China)

So minding my own business, I came across this article........
    Are you as caught up watching these historical dramas, as I am?

PS....You don't need to "install" anything for the Korean language.
    Just hit "cancel" if that screen shows up. This news article is in English.

http://www.kois.go.kr/News/news/news…t=109&SearchDay

axmuremoticon.gif

• Hi Grace san,

Personally I am not familiar with the Korean drama but I can explain what I know.

One Korean love story suddenly achieved a big hit among elder Jaspanese ladies who were keen to revive those "old fashioned pure love" feelings. Since then, Korean dramas/Korean actors became top on their lists while Korean food had been popular in Japan more than a century.

Now the audiences got more matured and are ready to enjoy even historical stories with the advanced knowledege about Korean culture I think. Historically, Korea or China has alot in common with Japanese culture as you can easily imagine. However, due to historical issue, there were less chaces for dramas/music being exchanged. (just 5 years ago or so, Korean govmnt stopped its restriction to Japanese dramas/music/anime) These are what i know about the Korean drama syndrome in Japan. Hope it helps :)

P.S. Another Asian SAGA I know is called "three countries history" from China which was published as a 120 issues of historical novel in 3rd centruty then performed on stage. You can find hundreads of the translation of the novel into the styles of Animation, PC Games, etc (I have 25 issues of Manga version of the whole story :lol: )

• P.P.S.
    From Continental (China/Korea) historical point of view, Japan was just a small island country at that time. Almost no description on any remaining books (a few words only :confused:).

• ............a big hit among elder Japanese ladies

Thanks a lot, Tony! :rolleyes:
    Nope, it's not the "soap opera dramas" that I'm talking about.
    It's those two historical dramas....Yi Soon Shin & Dae Joyoung.

Now the audiences got more matured and are ready to enjoy even historical
    stories with the advanced knowledege about Korean culture I think. Historically,
    Korea or China has alot in common with Japanese culture as you can easily imagine.

I think I would call it "similar, yet different." Or how about......"Close, but no cigar!" :lol:

These two series have incredible leading actors, character actors, costumes, sets,
    battle scenes (sometimes set in time-stop action) and computer graphics that will
    make your brains fall out! I hope if you get a chance to see either of these series,
    you'll do so. Your boys might even be fascinated by the action! As for me, I love
    watching each episode, as I quickly read the English sub-titles! And I know that
    there have been Japanese language versions, too.

However, due to historical issue, there were less chaces for dramas/music being
    exchanged. (just 5 years ago or so, Korean govmnt stopped its restriction to Japanese
    dramas/music/anime)

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I'm glad that the decision was made for these
    programs to be exchanged. Great TV is great TV, no matter what country it comes from.
    I hope that if you get a chance to see either of these two series, you'll do so.

Unless, of course, if there's a Glenn Hughes concert in Japan that night! :)

axmuremoticon.gif

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!