My Top Five CDs Of 2007

• My favorite CDs of the year - and capsule reviews of each - are now posted in my blog.

http://blog.myspace.com/damiendesimone

What are your faves?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Damien

"I'm a soul singer in a rock genre; I've been trying to break out of the rock thing for years." ~ Glenn Hughes (1993)

• Hi Wolfy -

Ha, you're right, five isn't enough, but I really wanted to narrow it down and focus on the significant ones. Maybe I'll expand my list next year.

Damien

"I'm a soul singer in a rock genre; I've been trying to break out of the rock thing for years." ~ Glenn Hughes (1993)

• I would have to have separate lists for new releases, reissues, and newly discovered gems that were released at any point in the past. Im constantly getting back catalog stuff of bands and finding "missing" classics that i really ought to have got years ago.

probably the most most played cd in my car this year other than Glenns stuff was New Blood by Dead Heart Beating. a killer of an album http://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/DeadNew.htm

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• I saw that on your page Roger. It would be great if you two wrote and recorded something together.

Tell him you know me and tell "Z" i expect another release by DHB in 2008. HE ROCKS!

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Hello!

Here is my best of list:

PORCUPINE TREE - Fear of a blank planet
    BLACKFIELD - II
    GLENN HUGHES - This time around - An anthology
    SATELLITE PARTY - Satellite party
    ARCHIVE - Live at the Zenith
    SHAW & BLADES - Influence
    DREAM THEATER - Systematic chaos
    NINE INCH NAILS - Beside you in time (DVD)
    PAIN OF SALVATION - Scarsick
    TOTO - Falling in between Live

Best wishes for 2008
    Michael

• Ha, you're right, five isn't enough

Is that why there seems to be seven? :)

I've only heard one of the ones you list I'm afraid. I did see Squeeze about a month ago in Wolverhampton though, and they were great. The new live CD from the American tour is pretty good.

Andrew

• Good to see Porcupine Tree in there Purple Man although I much prefer Deadwing. I think they are in danger of tying themselves in knots by attempting to be the most complicated prog band around. Sometimes simplicity works best. Music should come from the heart not the hard drive.

• Good to see Porcupine Tree in there Purple Man although I much prefer Deadwing. I think they are in danger of tying themselves in knots by attempting to be the most complicated prog band around. Sometimes simplicity works best. Music should come from the heart not the hard drive.

I second part of that, Keith, but there's much more complicated Prog out there. The hard drive thing is logical and programmatic when you consider the development of the band, or simply the direction Wilson took the band.
    I have been a big fan of PT for more than 10 years preferebly for their output between 1995 and 2005.
    It's been amazing to witness how Mr. Wilson, like developing a formula for success, turned Porcupine Tree (basically and originally a Prog band) into a largely successful act.
    That development is very evident musically when you listen to one of the albums from the second half of the 1990s, and then to the last three Studio albums.
    Or here's another example:
    I saw Porcupine Tree live a couple of years ago (promoting 'In Absentia') in front of 150 people here in Vienna. Then again a little later (Deadwing Tour) in front of 500. Last month they played a packed house with a 1000 people audience.

Cheers,
    Chris

P.S. my 'Best Of 2007': coming soon in my myspace blog...

MEDUSA

• I also saw Porcupine tree a couple of weeks ago {for the 3rd time} in manchester, I think they get better every year,the new album "in fear of a blank planet," is superb, although you need to give it a few spins to really get a feel for the album, also in 2008 the new academy 1 in manchester will be complete, and would be a super venue for glenn and his band to visit :cool:

• I think I only bought 3 (but I dig them all)

Rush: Snakes and Arrows
    Springsteen: Magic
    Megadeth: United Abominations

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!