Van Halen Tues Night

• I have very little time, but just wanted to say I saw a very impressive Van Halen show on Tues night. The revelation (which most will know of from seeing it on You Tube) was the fact that David Lee Roth is now singing with all the power and range heard on the records. He was without a doubt the worst singer I'd ever seen live, saw him in 83 and 86 on a solo tour and he sucked big time. Now, there is no more screwing around in between songs for 20 minutes, no more missing lyrics, octave lowering choruses, stumbling through the verses, this is a full blown professional hitting all the notes Roth!!! I've always dreamed of seeing him do a show like this. He hits the notes at the start of the show, the middle and all the way through the last song. It's amazing!!! He's more like Steven Tyler these days. I guess cutting out the booze and drugs onstage, plus perhaps vocal training and in ear monitors and the fact that he's in amazing shape has made the difference. Ill have more comments later.

John

• I remember thinking that Van Halen needed to go out and really DELIVER when they hit the stage which would silence the naysayers once and for all. I know that a lot of folks were whispering loudly that they wanted to see the whole tour crumble and dissolve in a mushroom cloud of dust and recriminations. The mindset was something like "I hope Eddie ends up with major egg on his face..."

Yeah, I would love to see Mike Anthony up there with the guys but if Wolfie is shouldering his heavy load with aplomb and David Lee Roth is taking this whole thing seriously I can't begrudge them. OK..the whitewash job that was on their website is stone wrong....but if they go out and just knock the audiences dead, I just might forgive that monentary fleck of MONUMENTAL STUPIDITY!!

Now..let's see Journey put together a killer CD and show the world that they aren't next in line for the corndog circuit....;)

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Ah it seems things are not as they appear. A drummer for one of LA's best Van Halen tribute acts, who has seen the band dozens of times, told me this week he caught nobody singing on the mic while back up vocals were heard. I thought maybe those were too perfect, so it appears the excellent backups are samples of the real Michael Anthony. As for Roth, I now hope he isn't singing partly in sample or fake either. I don't think so, because I've seen You Tube footage of a Roth 99 show in Europe and he was nailing it then. Other net posters have said he was fine until 1984, when booze and drugs ruined his onstage performances. I saw them in 83 at the US Festival and Roth was a disaster then too. This is why I'm so glad he's finally pulling these songs off onstage again. My friend who went to the show with me said Roth was also abysmal on the 2002 Sammy/Dave tour.

John

• What is the deal with singers like Roth and Cobain just not giving a crap about the paying public? Van Halen is not Van Halen to me without Roth, but the few live videos I've seen from their heyday with Roth, he was a complete a ss. I truly hope Roth has cleaned up his act. Prank/Lenny

• Hmm...jusdging from John's post perhaps Mike Anthony is with them after all! ;) Of course VH wouldn't be the first to augment their live backing vocals and won't be the last. But it is great to hear that David Lee Roth is focused and strong. I watched some of the US Festival VH clips on You Tube and couldn't believe how sloppy they were.....I always wondered why VH never put out any live material from the Roth era...OK, there are a gazillion bootlegs out there but I can recall only hearing a live version of "Runnin' With The Devil" from a show on the radio once....

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• What is the deal with singers like Roth and Cobain just not giving a crap about the paying public? Van Halen is not Van Halen to me without Roth, but the few live videos I've seen from their heyday with Roth, he was a complete a ss. I truly hope Roth has cleaned up his act. Prank/Lenny

He has totally cleaned up. That was one of the things I was most impressed with. There was virtually no screwing around between songs, no talking, just one song after the other. It wasn't like before where they would do a song and Dave would Bs for ten minutes. Yes, Dave did say hi to the crowd, but not for ten minutes between songs. If you see this show you will not be disappointed. Dave is definitely making up for decades of lost ground. I was always saying the past 20 he sucked, but now I can't say enough good things about David Lee Roth in 2007.

John

The Baked Potato, April 28, 2001,

John H: "Is David Lee Roth back in Van Halen?"

Steve Lukather: " Yeah, Too bad he can't sing"

True then, not now.

• Thanks JohnH, I'm glad to hear my favorite 'Gigolo' has cleaned up his act ;) Hagar is an OK singer, but there is only one David Lee Roth, and when he is truly committed, he can sing his butt off with the best of them (just look at the studio albums). Hagar never had Roth's edge and energy, at least not for me. Prank/Lenny

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!