Kevin DuBrow : Official Statement

• I am deeply saddened by the passing of one of my closest friends, Kevin Dubrow.

I had known Kevin since '83, when QR took off with their Multi platinum selling record.

He was a loud and Proud soulful Rock 'n Roller, who loved the British Invasion, Quoting Stevie Marriot and yours Truly as his Favorite singers.

I met him though Frankie Banali, Hughes/Thrall's drummer. Frankie and Kevin were more than Bandmates, they were brothers. I lost contact with him, until 2001 when I saw him in the audience at one of my shows in Las Vegas at the House of Blues. Couldn't miss him: There he was, groovin' away. All 6' 4 of him. After that show, he and I became very close....we would travel together, (we were planning on goin' to Maui in the New Year).

He stayed at my LA. Home when he was in town. He had his room, always prepared. I want you all to know that my relationship with him was a loving and nuturing one. He called me his big brother. He would call me sometimes 10-20 times a day, askin' a million questions, about life, music and food!

Kevin was a giver; he was always sendin' me gifts in person or via Fed Ex. I used to call him a silly boy; All I needed was his love, Material things aren't important to me, it's on the inside that counts.

Kevin called me on the 16th, Gabi took the call, I was at the movies with my friends. He wanted to know if we could pick him up at LAX on the 23rd, the night of a party that Gab was throwin' for me.

There's no way that KD would have missed this event, but we didn’t have his flight info. By Tues/Weds, I became very concerned and started callin' him on his hotline, and cell phone and texts and emails......no answer.....then Thanksgiving, I knew his MOM , Laura, was back on the East Coast...where is my boy? We thought it was very odd that he never showed.......all my friends were there, but not my lil' boy..... .....so, it's now the weekend, and I'm talkin' to Gab about catchin' a flight to Vegas.

By Sunday mornin', I couldn't take it anymore, and decided to contact Lark Williams about callin' a Paramedic to get into Kev's house. Well, the rest is history.

I will miss him more than anyone will know. He was a big part of my life. He was childlike, he was sweet, kind.....and he loved life. I will miss having dinner with him at the Palm in Beverly Hills. I will miss his big booming voice bellowing through my house. I will miss the corny jokes he had by the dozens. I will miss talking to him on a daily basis. I will miss writing songs with him for the next Quiet Riot album.

I will now begin work on my new record this evening. I will dedicate this one to you Kev.

I played you the songs sitting across from me on the couch a coupla months ago...And yeah....he was groovin'. You will never be forgotten.

Your big brother,
    Glenn
    XXXXX

Read more...

• I lost a brother not long ago, so I can relate to the sorrow and pain you must be feeling Glenn.

You and Gabi are in my thoughts more than ever....now and especially over the coming weeks. But one thing to take away - the agonising grief does slowly subside, leaving you with great memories and love for....in my case, my best friend.

• This is just so sad.. Larry, Heather and I got to meet him breifly at the DVD shoot. We sat next to Kevin and Lark in the outside room for most of the night. He was as excited as any fan there. I especially remember him telling Lark how over the top Glenn's vocals were when he started singing a Hughes Thrall tune. It was so obvious how much Glenn's friendship and his respect for Glenn as a vocalist was. Glenn, I am so sorry for your loss- and I'm sorry for the industry for loosing another fine vocalist. The fact that he and Frankie brought the band back to the fans this last year or two was such a good thing for all. I can relate to the loss of a good friend.. We must all be grateful for the time we have with each other, nothing is forever. On a positive note- Larry's wife Heather has just informed me her contractions are very strong- odds are, Heather will be having Larry's last gift - daughter "Lieghton" some time today. It will be one of the saddest- happiest things I will have ever experienced. We must cherish all of god's gifts in life- be grateful for friends and loved ones at all times. Losses like these should always increase our awareness - we are all mortals with a limited time to make our mark in this world. I am happy that Kevin had a good successful life that touched so many. Strength to you and Gabby Glenn-
    Take Care.

• I had the fortune to meet Kevin, Rudy, and Frankie in Minneapolis airport in 2000, somewhere around August/September. I had just gotten married, so I was high on life as it was, and to see these guys was amazing. Sitting in Chili's at the food court you can see everyone shuttling to their respective concourses. Here comes Kevin, Rudy, and Frankie - dressed in all black, hair done, jewelry, the whole 9. Looked absolutely mean! I about sh!t. I left my co-worker and took off after them. Well, after composing myself, I asked Kevin for an autograph. Course Frankie turned around too. Rudy had already sat down. I could not believe how tall Kevin was - of course, I had never been close to him before. These were the guys I heard in my radio when I did my homework, and now I was getting their autographs! But instead of being overly nervous (I was like a giggly child though - I remember saying "I can't believe I am talking with Quiet Riot!!"), they were so cool, and we talked for a couple minutes. They asked about me, made a comment about my new Oakley watch. It was amazing! Then Frankie told me I could get an autograph from Rudy too and pointed over to him.......

Needless to say, I thought about that encounter often. I am not a "groupie", but I appreciated what they did for music, and idolized them growing up, I mean, come on, I am the MTV generation!! When I heard about Kevin's death, I was stunned. I pulled out the autograph pages and looked at them last night.

Well, all I can say is, top notch. I prayed for him and will continue to. What I know is that they treated me as a friend, and I had never met them before. Godspeed, Kevin, I hope to see you again someday.

Chris Patrick

• I never heard Quiet Riot and never knew who Kevin was until Susan told me....this was shortly after we got the Soulfully Live CD, and were still waiting on the DVD. I was so blown away by the background vocals on Higher Places and Written All Over Your Face ........when we got Glenn's DVD, I was blown away by Kevin and Alex' vocals again.... But I was also very impressed with how it was so obvious that Kevin cared for Glenn, and was like all of us, amazed by him...you could see it in his eyes during the interview. It's a tough deal, Glenn, I'm sorry for your loss.
    Got to tell people we love them today, that's all we really have. It sounds like you were a great friend, and that's what it's about.
    Prayers to the family
    Roger

• I have never really listened to Quiet Riot, except for the big hit "Cum on Feel the Noize" in the MTV heyday. But in these last few days with all the news going round about his passing, one click lead to another and I found myself on his myspace page. At first I did not want to go there - I felt like a voyeur, you know - in these instances all you read are the condolences and messages filled with grief. But I opened it and out of curiosity I went to his pics page...when I saw that picture of him as a small boy with a bucket on his head I just got a lump in my throat. And all loving those pics of Randy Rhoads, whose company he is surely now keeping.

Though I was never a fan, nor am I one to get sugary-sentimental, but somehow through all his pics I understand what a special person he was, and how he will be truly missed by those who loved him.

In this crazy world you must change yourself....

Never compare yourself to others - people are more screwed up than you think.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!