Heaven and Hell DVD

• I was at the radio city music hall show
    Saw Poppa 2 weeks later at BB Kings!
    Why can't daddy get a production as good as the Heaven and Hell show in NY?
    DIO was great!

• VH1Classic are currently airing part of this DVD on their Classic In Concert series. I'm sure it will be aired numerous times in the next few days.

Chip

• Saw part of the VH-1 Classic show last night. Lost a bit in the translation from the actual live performance, but good stuff nonetheless.

Someone definitely needs to tell RJD that he needs to do something with the hair and his apparel. The shows had him dressed in either his black velvet pajamas or Greek Waiter outfit. Just doesn't quite cut it...just an observation.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• I'm not so sure about that, Frank...I can't imagine RJD walking onstage in jeans and a DKNY t-shirt. He's not wearing a Seinfeld puffy shirt or anything, either. I don't mind the dark pants and flared sleeves on the shirt. At least he hasn't gone the route that Ritchie Blackmore has with tights, feathered cap and assorted minstrel wear :huh:

As far as the show itself, I picked up the DVD yesterday and watched a bit of it last night. Highlights included "Voodoo", watching Geezer do the 'wah' bit on the bass in "Sign of the Southern Cross", seeing Tony's fretwork up close, and that bloodcurdling scream that Dio belted out at the beginning of "Mob Rules"! I have the 'Black & Blue' film that Sabbath did with BOC in 1980, and comparing the two, I have to say that Dio, Iommi and company are more on their game now than they were then.

Irritants on the DVD? Only one, really. The fan feature "Meet the Mob" unfortunately consists of man-on-the-street interviews with the lowest common denominator Sabbath fans - the kind of goons who leer into the camera and drool through some sort of shouted comment like "F**kin' Dio, man - he and Tony Iommi rule the world, man!" and "Black Sab-blaaaggghhh!" I think of the parade of buffoons featured, only one guy had any thoughtful comments about what Sabbath's music means to him, its place in the overall hierarchy of rock, etc. The rest of the drivel from the fans should have been left on the cutting room floor. Same crap appeared on the Blue Oyster Cult DVD 'A Long Days Night' a couple years ago.

Elsewhere on the DVD there is some cool footage of the stage being set, interviews with the band, rehearsal footage...nice stuff. And let me say that it's good to see Dio and company enjoying arena success once again this far down the road. Way cool. I'm glad the fans so readily embraced this reunion.

Cheers...Todd

• Hey Todd,

When you think Black Sabbath...what else comes to mind but... STONEHENGE :eek: ;) I remember seeing the pictures of the set that the Sabbs used briefly during the Mob Rules tour. it was life size and too large to use in many of the venues; a huge waste of money.

Here in Virginia we have the next best thing... :cool:

FOAMHENGE!!!!! :thumbup:

Yes, you heard right... a life size replica of the Stonehenge monument made out of styrofoam by a local artist named Mark Cline. It is near Natural Bridge VA and is actually pretty cool..I submit several pictures for your enjoyment...

• You're close, Bill - it was the 'Born Again' tour with Gillan. But yeah, it was a bit of a cock-up :D

"Welcome to Foamhenge - sponsored by Nerf!" :lol:

Cheers...Todd

• Thanks for posting "Foamhenge", Bill.

But somehow, whenever I see anything Stonehenge-ish,
    I can't help but think of that scene from the movie "European Vacation"
    where the tourist's car backs up, hits one stone, which topples into another one,
    and then (like dominos) they all fall down and go BOOM.

Didn't the British government rope off the immediate area of Stonehenge,
    and put in a new parking lot location - very far away - after that movie came out?

OOPS! :lol:

• Aw man.....I was thinking Ian Gillan but got the wrong title in my head...curse you brain fade!! There was a picture of the set in Classic Rock and it looked really impressive and never in danger of being crushed by a dwarf...but it must have been detested by the crew who probably were high fiving one another when the set was dropped ;)

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Hmm, lowest common denominator fans. Like the one at the Heaven and Hell show in April that just came out of nowhere and slugged the guy walking in front of me for no reason. Just nuts. No wonder I never go to metal shows like this anymore.

John

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!