James Gang Cover

• These days I was browsing through my entire music collection, noticing that there are so many great songs which I didn´t give a spin for a long time. On song in particular was "Mystery" from the James Gang. I always loved that one due to the atmosphere and great feel. I know it´s not Tommy Bolin who´s singing but he sounds indeed very similar to Bolin, dont you agree?

In a mood of liking to do a cover version of it, I recorded "Mystery" these days by myself. It´s far from being perfect but maybe its not that bad.

I know there are a lot of James Gang fans here too, so I hope some will recognise and maybe like it a bit!

Great weekend to all!
    Cheers, Achim

• Hey Achim,

I always loved that song. It seems that Tommy coached Roy Kenner closely on the delivery; if Tommy could have sung it, I think he would have. Jimmy Haskell scored the song and it brings the album to a sweet conclusion, much the way that "Ashes, The Rain and I" closed out the Rides Again LP.

Bang is certainly a lost classic; Tommy Bolin brought a notebook full of songs to the table that were all top shelf. I always thought it was a funny story about Tommy meeting the Gang for the first time. He played some work demos of the Spectrum material and while Jimmy, Dale and Roy were impressed, they pointed out that fusion wasn't what they were about. Tommy supposedly said; "Don't worry, I like to play rock and roll too..."

The original arrangement was perfect and it is no wonder you stuck to it....Thanks for a great performance of a great song!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Totally agree, Bill! I know that James Gang changed a bit when Tommy came and with Roy Kenner too, but nevertheless they presented a bunch a great music back then. Great to see there are some similar opinions here.
    And thanks a lot for liking this recording, mate, much appreciated!!

Cheers, Achim

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!