Mel Galley Impersonator

• Just to add to what Wolfie posted, Mel having confronted Mr Grimley, was so shaken by the experience, he had to leave the house and go to the car leaving the reporter there. A few minutes later, Grimley comes out of the house with this object under his arm and walks across to Mel and gives him this 'Fender" Strat!!! as he would like his guitar hero to have it ( Mel thinks it's probably a copy) – he then goes back to the house and brings another of his guitar collection out for Mel to autograph!

When Mel first met this guy, he was posing as a Whitesnake fan himself and the retired policeman friend asked Grimley for his autograph, which he duly signed "Mel Galley" onto a cd sleeve. Then Mel asked his pal to show Grimley the inner sleeve which had a picture of Mel with the claw.

At this point Grimley got the message and said "You're him aren't you?"

Mel explained that he had to stop this charade because it was upsetting a lot of people, at which point Grimley proceeded to deny that he had been posing as Mel!!!

"Excuse me" says Mel, "you just gave us a f****** Mel Galley autograph'.

Finally as Mel and the police friend were about to leave, the cop shouts after Grimley,"Bye Mel!" Grimley turns round and says "Bye folks". I don't think we've heard the last of this one.

• After reading John Hackney's account of Mel's meeting with Ken Grimley, I regret even more than any of you could possibly realize, my off the cuff joke about cement boots. I can only imagine how disturbing it was for Mel to confront this guy and then have Grimley lie to his face about impersonating him. Can you even begin to understand the shock??

I want to hope that Wolfy is right and Hackney is wrong....that Grimley's Walter Mitty fantasy will come to a deserved halt. But John Hackney may be far closer to the truth....this guy couldn't tell the truth if he tried....he is that delusional.

Over at the DPAS site, the Grollywood news section has the bogus Mel story albeit with a somewhat tongue in cheek conclusion.

Here's hoping that getting the word out in the press will put this sad tale out to lunch.

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• The Derby Evening Telegraph should be printing the story tomorrow - Saturday 15th. I havent had a preview so no idea what is in it. Obviously once we have a copy it will appear on myspace and here.
    They have a website so take a look Saturday. Dont know if it will be on it though.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Great news, wolfy!

The more people that hear the truth,
    the less "success" that this b-----d will have.

I'm sure that I speak for all of us, when I say how angry we are,
    that Mel got upset when he met this jerk - face to face.

All those years of watching those British cops on TV.
    I hope that this situation gets settled, let's just say.........
    "correctly."

And we're with you all the way on this, Mel!!!!

axmuremoticon.gif

• Hi, I've just joined your forum, I'm from a village near Ripley, and I have known ken socially for over 3 years. I feel that i must put in a good word on his behalf, as he is a very kind gentleman, not the monster that the press have made him out to be.

We all knew straight away that he wasn't Mel Galley, but all humoured him as we knew that he was harmless and has obviously lost his path somewhere along the way.

As for the comment about him doing it for the free drinks, he is the one most likely to be in the chair.
    He has now been publicly embarrassed.These problems have been addressed in a very humiliating way for someone with such obvious low self-esteem. Lets just hope that he gets better, i just wish it could have been approached in a more humane way.

I understand that the real Mel Galley must be feeling rather miffed about it.
    lets all just be thankful that we are happy just being ourselves.

Danni

• Hi Danni
    I can understand how ya feel, (I've met Ken a few times and he seemed harmless) but I actually thought Ken came out of it quite well in the newspaper article, and that it's the kinda thing that he might frame and put in his shrine.

I don't think they made him out to be a monster, and the photo with him and Mel on the front page is something he might be very proud of. So maybe this was the kindest and most humane way to try to put a stop to it (if it has).

It must have been very unnerving for Mel when Ken persisted in living the lie even after he'd been outed - and yeh, I think we can all sympathise with Ken cos mental illness is one of the hardest things to understand.

And yeh, I fully agree about being happy to be ourselves! Not everybody can feel that way though, which is a very sad thing for those people.

• Danni,

i think to his neighbours and friends who know him as Ken he may seem like a harmless old fool. you have to see things from Mels point of view. there are a lot of people out there who are fans and/or musicians who have met Ken and thought it was Mel. If they thought Ken(as Mel) was a gent or a complete arsehole then each verdict is against Mel not Ken. they will tell friends and family etc what "Mel" was like.

Even while Mel was talking to him he still insisted he had played on stage with Clapton and Mark Knofler from Dire Straits.

I think this has been done in the best way possible to stop his antics and also to inform people that they have been duped.

Mel is a kind and gentle person himself and would not want Ken to be harmed in any way. He just wants the guy to stop all this.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Danni,

i think to his neighbours and friends who know him as Ken he may seem like a harmless old fool. you have to see things from Mels point of view. there are a lot of people out there who are fans and/or musicians who have met Ken and thought it was Mel. If they thought Ken(as Mel) was a gent or a complete arsehole then each verdict is against Mel not Ken. they will tell friends and family etc what "Mel" was like.

Mel is a kind and gentle person himself and would not want Ken to be harmed in any way. He just wants the guy to stop all this.

Thats the point really, if someone met Ken and believed he was Mel as a few have done, any negative publicity rebounds on Mel.

Ive met Ken a few times and yes, he is a nice chap to talk to as long as you realise he is full of shit (this is far from the wildest flight of fancy Ive heard from him) , but what he has done is wrong and very unfair to Mel and it had to be stopped.

Mel could have taken legal action but didnt which says a lot about the man.

I think personally, that had I been Mel, Id have handled it the same way. Humiliating for Ken of course but pretty much guaranteed to stop him trying it again as its attracted huge interest locally amongst the musical community. And really its the only way because kens been rumbled by a few people in the past but just moves on to a new group of gullible young lads. That cant happen now.

Those who are his friends will have a good laugh at his expense for a few weeks but it will die down, those who thought he was mel will be wised up now and avoid him or avoid being taken in at any rate.

• Reading Mels blog it seems that Mel was quite shaken by the experience, so any apologists for Ken should remember that it was an unpleasant episode for Mel. It must have freaked him out bigtime, imagine what any of us would have felt like. Creepy shit....

Ken was well in the wrong whatever his motivation or mental issues are. Hopefully this is the last of it.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!