Dream comes true for Norfolk drummer

• A Norfolk drummer is set to rub shoulders with rock royalty as he prepares to play on tour with former Deep Purple star Glenn Hughes.

It will be a dream come true for Matt Goom, himself a fan of Deep Purple, who was recommended to the band's former bassist by Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith.

Mr Goom, who runs the Norwich Drum Academy will replace Chad, who is recognised as one of the best drummers in the world, as he is unable to play all the dates due to a clash with his own band's commitments.

He is set to join Glenn on several more dates this summer in Serbia, Italy, Spain and South America as well as Hell in Norway.

Mr Goom, 35, of Rosary Road, has been to stay with Chad in LA, meeting the rest of the Red Hot Chili Peppers and is due to jet off to LA again next week to join Chad and Glenn for rehearsals.

He has already played one gig with Glenn which he describes as “a baptism of fire”. He said: “I went out to Bulgaria to play a gig with him, we didn't even rehearse, Glenn just dragged me up on stage and there I was drumming in front of 5,000 fans. It was even being filmed for Bulgarian TV.

“It was a bit scary - but it was an amazing moment and I soon forgot my nerves. You just play each gig as if it's your last.

“It's not really very rock 'n' roll though - the people who know the business and stay in it for a long time know that you have to work hard and all the drugs and drinking can get in the way of that. I have never been interested in that sort of thing really.”

He is set to join Glenn on several more dates this summer in Serbia, Italy, Spain and South America as well as Hell in Norway.

He said: “It has been really interesting going to places like Bulgaria and Serbia because people take the gigs so seriously over there. It is a really enormous event and you have whole generations for the same family in the crowd.

“And the tickets are a whole week's wages over there so it's a really special occasion.”

Mr Goom, who is married to Emma, 28, grew up in North Walsham and has been playing the drums since he was a child - he has always dreamed of a career in music.

He drummed throughout his time at North Walsham High School teaching himself and working with private tutors.

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?
    brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED31%20May%
    202007%2015%3A24%3A39%3A960

http://www.myspace.com/mattgoom

• What happened to the drummer who had been playing with Glenn (Mark something?)?

• His dream and Mine. If only the rest of my life didn't interfere. Congrats Matt!!!!!!!!

• Lucky bugger! Congratulations, it's obviously well deserved. Hope to see you featured at a gig in the UK then :thumbup:

• To be perfectly honest, i wasn't that all impressed by Mark Mondesir. Good luck to the new kid :thumbup:

• I met Matt last night in LA. He said he was at the Whisky show to get some inspiration. I think he got a big dose of inspiration last night. :)

Good luck Matt, with the gigs with Glenn. :thumbup:

Chip

Chip

• Good luck Matt, with the gigs with Glenn. :thumbup:

Chip

Absolutely well deserved. :thumbup: :claphands :clapper: :D :cool: :bow:

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!