Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple...grrrr

• I always see and hear this whenever Glenn is playing a show, doing an interview or putting out a new recording. Well, he isn't the only one !!!

Saturday night I went to see Lindsey Buckingham in a 1200 seat auditorium here in Albuquerque. Let me share the fact that the show was incredible !! Two and one half hours and he just never lost his energy, and this from someone who had the flu for the two days prior. The man is a wonderful guitarist and should, like Glenn and Blackmore and so many others, be able to stand on their own. But NO...all ads were Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac. The same was on the marquis itself !!!

Whenever I see this it annoys me to no end. I have heard so often, "Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple" that I wonder if anyone has ever listened to the actual music. "Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple"...hey people, he was with DP for a short time and has been a brilliant solo artist for a heckuva lot longer. I guess the burr has finally gotten under my skin and it is really an annoyance when you see this in so many places.

Maybe no one would know an artist without the additional tag lines, but I would think that an artist would at least like to have the chance to stand on his/her own. You don't see "Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac"...yet Lindsey is basically that band. He writes, produces and is the true spirit...but viewed as only a sideman to Nicks and the others.

Someday Glenn will get his due, but by then millions will have missed out a magnificent musician, artist and person who is so much more than a former member of Deep Purple. Glenn Hughes is music the way music should be...from the heart and brought out with talent rarely seen in other people.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Agree with you 100% Frank! Even worse is "ex-Gary Moore" :mad:

Re FM: Wish i could see Mr.Buckingham live - but he tours Europe less than Glenn has played the US the last 15 years or so!! I can kind of understand Stevie being able to go out without having "...of Fleetwood Mac" on all the billboards - her solo hits have given her a higher profile in the mainstream than Lindsey - and she was on a few big FM tours that Lindsey stayed away from..

Cheers PJ

• While i totally agree with you, it dosen't help when The Soul Mover Cd is advertised as the legendary voice of Deep Purple :(

As has been said before Glenn was only in the band for 3 years, yet has been solo for over 14 years

• Frank -

that's the way it was advertised here, too. Go figure.

In this crazy world you must change yourself....

Never compare yourself to others - people are more screwed up than you think.

• Certainly Glenn Hughes should be the biggest musical sensation in the world. But for now Deep Purple remains a much bigger name and it's simply standard to include the big name association whenever one exists. Look at the poster for that New York City Rock n Roll Fantasy Camp. Paul Stanley, Scott Ian, Alan White and Leslie West get the same treatment.

• for the record , i defenantly agree w/ all of that . i also saw lindsey buckingham a couple of months ago at the house of blues. he was great i was really impressed. to show your point on the "glenn hughes of deep purple" remark , i was at the ny show on the 4th and this guy was at my table and when we saw the set list before the show , he said " how can he not be playing 'smoke on the water' ! although i was glad he got to see a great show and educate himself a little it was a shame that a real papa fan was not sitting in his place

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!