Snoopy's Club

• Back in my hometown of Baldwin NY across the street from the Long Island Railroad station there is a building that, for as long as I can remember, was a rock club. It had numerous names through the years..The 1890 Club, Blackbeards,Popeyes, and the one I remember from high school..Wizzards. You could catch many of the semi-legendary LI acts there...Zebra, Twisted Sister, Mazarin, The Freelance Vandals, the list is endless! By the time I moved back to NY in 1991 it was a black dance club called Tribeca...and remained that way for several years until someone brought his 9 mm into the club and squeezed off a few rounds..it closed not long after that. It has been a club called the Gentlemen's Quarters (think about it!) ever since...a sordid end to a bit of local history!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Those of you with bootlegs of the Andy Field Benefit Show performed by the reformed Trapeze in March 1992 may find this of interest.

Once again they spelt our boy "GLEN" :mad:

Small world ain't it! The Black Horse was owned by my Grandfather Hackney during the war years. My dad Arthur and his sister Ruth lived there and I can remember being in the pub as a child around 1950-51 aged 4 or 5-years old.

• This reminds me of an institution in my hometown of Baldwin NY. The Irish Pub on Sunrise Highway across from the railroad station and just down the street from the Coach Diner, in business for over 40 years, has finally shut its doors.

A neighborhood bar of the oldest order, it was one of the few places in the area that served Guinness on tap. And they were serious about it too; I ordered a pint one afternoon and the bartender wouldn't serve it because he didn't like the way it was pouring! They had a great jukebox (with records, no less!) and were one of the first bars to get a CD jukebox. And aside from the trad Irish music you found plenty of Thin Lizzy and Gary Moore!

They were on one end of the block between Grand Avenue and Harrison Avenue, which was the street I grew up on. Conway Motors sat in the middle of the block; a Chrysler / Dodge dealer that was there since the sixties. They sold out to Toyota who are going to raze all the buildings on that block for construction of their new dealership. I always joked that if Long Island got nuked, the Irish would survive the blast...but the wheels of progress proved too great an adversary!

Gone but never forgotten!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Writing a piece on snoopys for local news paper in Cannock, The Chase Post. Am interested in any information anyone can give me, or where this article appeared??

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!