This time around-drop the Purple numbers?

• Looking at the set lists from Glenn recent gigs, there is still a number of purple numbers being played. Personally I would like to see Glenn concentrate on material from his solo career which is far more suited to the 21st century and his image / personality. Dont get me wrong I am a huge Deep Purple fan however I think Glenns current audience are going to hear Glenn Hughes and leave the rest to the Purple Tribute Bands.

The time is right for the real Glenn Hughes to take on the world.

Would you agree?

• Yes!!

Personally i would love to hear some of Glenn's solo back catalogue given a live workout, BUT (and it's a big BUT) many of the people who come and see Glenn's shows are seeing him for the first time so I'm sure they love to hear the classics from his previous bands..

Roger Glover and his current band have the same problem...this from Classic Rock:

"CR : You've played in the UK already on this tour. Will the set-list for the upcoming shows alter?

RG That debate rages on. We see people's wish-lists, and as a fan I'd love to be able to play some of that stuff too. The reality is that most people want more obvious things, like Smoke on the Water. Catering for the hard-core is just unrealistic. "

PJ

• I was perhaps a little dissapointed with the number of Purple songs in the Shepherd's Bush set, they were all performed brilliantly, but I would have liked to have heard a few more M4TD songs in the mix, I didn't feel there were enough of them.

• I feel like Glenn should at least acknowledge those important eras from his career and play a song each by Deep Purple and Trapeze. He doesn't have to play half of the 'Come Taste the Band' and 'We're Just the Music...' albums, but he shouldn't turn his back on those periods either. They helped him develop into who he is today.

Todd

• Hello Everyone,

I thought this time around(forgive the real bad pun, as Grace slowly pulls out her fave. axe.) that Glenn would play more of his back catalogue and less purple and trapeze. I know he said that somewhere the last few years it was the time to focus on the solo songs and to stop living in the past. I do think he should do at least one from purple, trapeze and sabbath but rest should be his own. If fans only go to hear him do purple then go see purple.
    The man has a lot of great songs of his own I'd love to hear. But too many fans keep him shakled to the past. Time to break the chains Glenn. Be free!

cheers,

Galleyfan :thumbup:

SCOTT

• I have no problem with a couple of Purple and Trapeze song in a 90 minute show, however 5 out of an 11 track set doesnt do it for me.

Take Blackmore's Night, Ye Olde Ritchie works in a couple of Purple numbers to their set which is fine.
    Glenn has got such a fantastic rich and varied solo back catalogue to choose from which is in many ways much better that Purple. I dont know if its a confidence with Glenn however lets embrace the new world , and look forward and not back.

Maybe we need a poll of fave tracks or just the set list you wish Glenn to play.

• I think it's good that someone holds the flag high for the purple mk.3/4 songs, which otherwise could not be heard anymore. it was and is high class music.

• Its difficult for Glenn. I think some countries want DP stuff more than others - Japan and the old Eastern Bloc for example.

I know i and other fans on here would like a whole set of Glenn solo songs but we are hard core followers who know all his work.

If you say keep a couple of DP and a Trapeze song then why not HTP, Sabbath and HT?. Now half the set has gone!

Personally i would like to see Lay Down, Stay Down in the set. Its a great song and i'd like to see the drumming on it. Ian Paice really gave it some on this and it would be great to see Chad or Mark do the same.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• The set list of the last current tour was great!
    i think with a great mix of some Purple and some Glenn catalog!

I'm purple fan but also a glenn fan , and i would love to see him play a lot of purple stuff but i would love to see him play a lot of Glenn song .

so there's no real answer , Glenn is just trying to do the best to please everyone !

• Hi,

I also would like to see Glenn singing and playing more songs from his recent albums, I have only been in 3 concerts of Glenn (once with Chad) and 2 with JLT, and I have never had the chance to see him singing coast to coast, lay down stay down, way back to the bone or picking up the pieces, just to give and example.

To me it is just a great success that he comes near home to play and it doesn't matter which songs he plays and sings, I am sure they will be great performances.

By the way, I hope Glenn is coming to Barcelona this year.

Cheers :cheers:

Pere

• I'd agree with Todd. Glenn has a long career and many people come to the gigs to celebrate that career. There have been many vital songs along the way which have helped shape how Glenn sees the world now. This is all relevant. Glenn's past means more to the world than some X Factor/Pop Idol goon with a two year career trying to clear a million bucks by murdering Sinatra classics. Glenn Hughes has a past and he also has a future. Most out there don't have either.

• Hi all

Interesting topic of discussion. When you have had[and continue to have] such a looonnnggg and great career as Glenn has had it must be difficult for him to choose a set list. I have not managed to see him on the m4td tour so my first point is that everyone should be pleased that they got to see Glenn at all :rolleyes:

What interested me about the Shepherds Bush setlist is how the m4td songs seem to have been dropped in favour of the Soul Mover songs to make space for the DP songs. A tacit admission perhaps that Soul Mover is the better album????

We all have our favourite songs and preferences for the live sets- i at the moment would love to see a set list full of GH SOLO songs :D

Best wishes to you all,

Paul

• To me it is just a great success that he comes near home to play and it doesn't matter which songs he plays and sings, I am sure they will be great performances.

I'm with you. Anything Glenn Hughes.

• I would have loved to see a show on the M4TD tour, but sadly, it didnt happen. However, i would have liked to have heard a mixture, from all eras, but with a bias towards the solo stuff, but i do agree with those who have said its important not to forget certain periods, as they have all contributed to where we are now!

:bouncer2: :bouncer: :bouncer2: :bouncer:

• Looking at the set lists from Glenn recent gigs, there is still a number of purple numbers being played. Personally I would like to see Glenn concentrate on material from his solo career which is far more suited to the 21st century and his image / personality. Dont get me wrong I am a huge Deep Purple fan however I think Glenns current audience are going to hear Glenn Hughes and leave the rest to the Purple Tribute Bands.

The time is right for the real Glenn Hughes to take on the world.

Would you agree?

Hmmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this one. It is true that Glenn has just put out some of his strongest material in recent years and it deserves a live airing. And he can't possibly play 3 hours a night and include EVERYTHING.

Now, DP is where Glenn made his biggest splash and his most obvious source of recognition, so certainly there must be a few DP gems in the set. But I also freely admit that hearing Glenn do songs like "Mistreated" really makes me yearn for the Coverdale-Hughes duo treatment. And I do miss the Trapeze stuff, which always goes down great.

So, I am on the fence with this one. To drop the DP songs altogether in favor of fitting in more solo material is a bit unrealistic, unless Glenn gets a new album high in the charts. So is the idea of Glenn doing 3 hour sets to make sure there's something for everyone (but it sounds nice, doesn't it!).

In closing, I'll take whatever I can get. New Yawk, here we come!

Brian

• Hi All,

Who else will play Mk 4 Deep Purple if not Glenn???

I personally believe the Mk 4 Purple tunes, like Hughes Thrall, are timeless and complement the new funk/groove Soulmover and M4TD material.

I would personally prefer Glenn to concentrate on the DP material that he wrote or co-wrote.

'Holy Man' next tour maybe!

and from the back catalogue...........

.... 'Coffee and Vanilla'.......'Curse'.....'Destiny'.....'Chances'...'Why Don't You Stay'.....'Against the Grain'........'Where Did the Time Go'....'On the Ledge'.................................!!!

Stay Fun(ky)
    Mikey D

• Does that mean dropping CTC from the set?
    I couldn't imagine a GH performance sans Coast to Coast.

Coast to Coast with a string quartet live at The Basement?
    Quite possibly the best thing I've ever heard in my life.
    Just wait 'till the DVD comes out people, just wait!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!