Glenn is playing in Norway these days. I am going to see him in Brekstad Friday night, it's just two hours from Trondheim. Brekstad is a very small place, and Norsk Rock Cafe had to close the doors because of ecomical problems a month ago. Luckily they are opening the place again this Friday.
Glenn is playing in Bergen tonight and I have translated an interview with him in the newspaper Bergensavisen. It seems like there are hope for a Mark 3 reunion.
Hope you understand my translation:
- The Audience will hear a voice they will never forget, Glenn Hughes says in an interview with the Norwegian newspaper Bergensavisen from Bergen.
Tomorrow (today, Krister) the ex-Deep Purple singer and bass player will hit the Garage scene with his rockband. He was introduced as "The Voice of Rock" in 1991, and he still carries this label.
- In the 1970's my voice was fed with cocaine and Jack Daniels. I have stopped drinking, and there are no more drugs or smoke. Of course my voice are better when I am not drunk all the time, says Glenn Hughes to the Bergensavisen journalist.
He has been playing with bands such as Trapeze, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, and he has a lot of solo albums and other projects behind him.
- But I refuse to be nostalgic. Today my focus is on funk, rock and soul. Even though I became a classic rock star with Deep Purple in the mid 70's, I am not a hardrocker. Getting away from the drug addiction after 15 years, changed a lot for me, Hughes says.
He will play songs from his two last albums at the Garage and four songs from the Purple Days.
- You and David Coverdale shared the vocals in Deep Purple.
- It had to be like that if I should say yes to be a part of Deep Purple. That were the conditions. I was on my way to break US with Trapeze at the time. But don't forget that I am a bass player too.
- Is there any chance for a Mark 3 reunion? Blackmore, Lord, Coverdale and yourself?
[size=10]- David, Jon and I are ready for it. Ritchie is not negative either. If we get the schedules co-ordinated, I believe 2008 will be the year. We had the best singers and the best songs, Hughes claims.
[size=10]- You have also made your best records in many years with «Music for The Divine»?
[size=10]- With the world's best drummer in the team, Chad Smith from Red Hot Chili Peppers. We are brothers in spirit. He sounds like the son of my good friend, John Bonham, who passed away years ago.
[size=10]- I am concentrating on the music, not on jeans and image. The music has been therapy for me since I stopped using drugs and alcohol. That's why my live concerts get deeply emotional. Often better than the albums. I promise that the audience will hear a singer that they will never forget, Hughes says.
[size=10]- This is my first visit to Bergen. Lucky for you! Now I am selling a lot of records, and my career is on the right track. I am spiritual, believe in karma – everyting in life is destined, so my whole career has a meaning.