David Coverdale can now sing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl...

• ...or at a World Series game, or your local Fourth of July bash!

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703020487

English rocker becomes American citizen
    online@rgj.com

Posted: 3/2/2007

After living more than 20 years in the United States, rock musician David Coverdale has become an American.

In a private ceremony Thursday afternoon at the Department of Homeland Security in Reno, Coverdale raised his right hand and swore to defend the Constitution and U.S. laws, a U.S. agent said.

Coverdale, a former singer for Deep Purple and Whitesnake, has lived on the North Shore of Lake Tahoe for 22 years.

"Of course he was obviously very pleased," said his assistant, Michael McIntyre. "It's been a long, drawn out process, especially the way things are today. He was thrilled to become a citizen after all of this time."

Coverdale, 55, was born in Satlburn-by-the-Sea, England.

The singer joined Deep Purple in 1973, founded Whitesnake in 1977 and worked with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page on the Coverdale-Page project in 1992. In 2000, Coverdale released "Into the Light."

In this crazy world you must change yourself....

Never compare yourself to others - people are more screwed up than you think.

• Congrats to Mr. Coverdale. I wonder whether he has dual citizenship or not? I would think it would be hard to give up the citizenship of your home country. I suppose you could say "It's just a piece of paper....he'll always be a Briton in his heart."

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Dave & Shirean?

Cheers...Todd

• Anyone else have thoughts on this? Dave & Shirean?

My situation is a little different Todd - I'm very lucky, as I'm what you call a dual citizen (hold both passports) due to parents from both countries - have been since I was born!

There was a time I would of had to choose, but luckily that was before I turned 18 - a short time before that, the laws were changed and when I reached that age and ever since then, I'm able to keep both.

• Does anybody know if you really have to be a US citizen
    to sing "The Star Spangled Banner" at some big event?
    Is it an actual law, or just customary that you're a US citizen?

I can't imagine anybody saying:
    "Hey, Luciano...get out of here; stop singing; you're Italian."

And I seem to have a nightmare memory of a HORRIBLE :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Celine Dion "interpretation/song styling" of that song :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anybody know for sure?

PS.....DC can live here for a hundred years,
    but he ain't never gonna' sound like he's from New York :lol:

• Dunno for sure if there's an official rule about only US citizens allowed to sing at the national anthem at big events; I guess it's just customary.

Celine Dion re-did the anthem??? :sint3: That's outrageous! Not so much her singing it but reworking it! The anthem is untouchable!

And I agree....I don't think we'll be hearing about David "fugheddabaudit" Coverdale anytime soon! :lol:

In this crazy world you must change yourself....

Never compare yourself to others - people are more screwed up than you think.

• I also hold dual citizenship and have two passports, Austrian and Swiss - my mother's from Switzerland, my father from Vienna.
    Actually I'm very proud of both, even though I feel a little more Austrian - hey, I grew up here!?
    I wouldn't know which one and would never give up either one, so I hope they don't change the laws and force you to give one up.
    While I know the first verse of Austria's National Anthem, I only remember the first few words of Switzerland's. But I would instantly recognize the melody ;)
    And yeah - I perfectly well understand Swiss German and I can also speak it, but I never do that.... sounds way too funny ;) :D

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!