Hughes and Coverdale? I dunno!

• I totally acknowledge all these responses, I'm just curious as to the what the concensus of opinion is. Is any future formal collaboration between Glenn Hughes and David Coverdale a good and viable idea, given how the pasage of time has been particularly kind to GH and not so much to DC.

This is an unfair comparison. From 1976 to 1993, DC was actively recording and touring his arse off. During that same timeframe, GH made far fewer appearances on record and, especially, on stage.

Imagine trying to sing to 10,000 people (or more) over all that amplification night after night for nearly 20 years. It shreds your vocal chops. GH returned to routine activity (recording and touring) in 1993-ish and has played primarily clubs and small theaters since then. Thankfully he has taken such good care of his voice and is playing sensibly-sized venues to maintain it.

Many of the rock singers who've been touring the huge arenas for 20 years have lost a step or more, vocally. Robert Plant and Ian Gillan are the most obvious examples. Even former air-raid sirens like Bruce Dickinson aren't hitting those high notes like they used to.

Brian

• Even former air-raid sirens like...........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that my Dad would refer to this as "an elegant turn of phrase."

But I agree with you completely about the damage that years of touring did to DCs voice.

axmuremoticon.gif

• I acknowledge what you are saying Brian. There was a time that no one came close to outshining DC as a frontman. His vocal performance on Northwinds is still to this day unsurpassed. DC was an outstanding singer and I caught Whitesnake everytime they visited my neck of the woods in the late 70's early 80's. He was an honest and passionate purveyor of blues rock, but his business acumen seems to have taken over and image is now bigger priority than the music. It just saddens me to see him now as a mere cliche and former shadow of the indomitabe frontman he once was was.

• Bear in mind DC has had more than one serious throat infection, especially the one between Slide It in and 1987 which required surgery and many believe (including I) that he's never managed to recover fully from. I think he was lucky to sing again and get the 1987 album out.

For me equinox hit it on the head with his analysis.

DC must have done at least 2times the gigs glenn has since DP split up and many of his songs he really went for it - Mistreated for example. One of his ears is really mashed and he'll probably have an aid very shortly. Cant expect the voice to get off scot free and at 55 he's not doing badly at all. Glenns voice is magical but if he'd been active since 1976 with all the Georgia screaming that would have entailed, then we may have two slightly croaking old crooners, not just one!

PS - Jbyrne; Micky Moody in 1983 said Coverdale was too business orientated so its hardly a new thing!

• Valid points, absolutely! I just think DC should be more like his natural self. I agree with Andrew Steed, his lower register stuff, phrasing etc. is bang on. The rest, well he's just trying too damn hard!

• DC must have done at least 2times the gigs glenn has since DP split up and many of his songs he really went for it - Mistreated for example. One of his ears is really mashed and he'll probably have an aid very shortly. Cant expect the voice to get off scot free and at 55 he's not doing badly at all. Glenns voice is magical but if he'd been active since 1976 with all the Georgia screaming that would have entailed, then we may have two slightly croaking old crooners, not just one!

I don't agree to that opinion. DC most of the time sings with a technique that is very much damaging to the throat. You can hear the difference between his 'talking' and his 'singing'. And he's doing that since 1973.

Glenn restarted touring intensively after the age of 40. I do not know a singer who is capable of that. And I think his voice gettin' better over the years?!?!

Cheers

;)

• And cheers to you Gio but I'm a little unclear; which bits dont you agree with?
    DC doing 2 times the gigs? - check out the tour info and look how much DC and what types of gigs DC did before he was 40
    DC not going for his songs? - have a listen at some of the boots.
    One of his ears is mashed - said in a recent interview about the aid
    At 55 DC is not doing too bad?
    I really cant imagine if Glenn had toured as DC did from 76 onwards, in massive arenas from 84 to 91, screaming tunes as he was in 1976, whilst canabalising his body with massive drugs excess that his voice would be as magical as it sounds now. When he restarted in the mid 90s, he'd 'grown up', knowledge about looking after yourself and your voice has improved massively, and he has looked after himself well - the result, is that voice NOW.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!