Gillan about Glenn Hughes

• An extract from Gillan's interview on knac.com (December 24th 2006):

KNAC.COM: Are you friends with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes?

GILLAN: No. I know them, obviously, and I get on fine with them. I’ve only met David a couple times in parting. I’ve met Glenn a couple of times and I have great respect for him. He’s a great musician, a great singer. Glenn’s an extraordinarily talented man. But I wouldn’t classify them as friends because I didn’t develop any relationship with them because I was doing different things when they were in Deep Purple. And to be honest, that was a weird period anyway, because I take these things extremely personally and I get quite emotional about things. When I left the band I didn’t pay much attention to what Purple was doing—it’s like watching your ex-Missus making love to some other guy. That doesn’t turn me on.

http://knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=5166

:ghcp:

I’ve met Glenn a couple of times and I have great respect for him. He’s a great musician, a great singer. Glenn’s an extraordinarily talented man.

He'd be an idiot to say otherwise.

• He wasn't so kind to Blackmore:

KNAC.COM: Your relationship with most of your mates from Deep Purple is good, obviously. Do you ever talk to Ritchie Blackmore?

Gillan: No, I don't talk to him at all. That asshole — I will never speak to him again, as far as I'm concerned. I loved Ritchie, though. I used to be his roommate and everything was fine. We all respect Ritchie for what he did — the foundation. But he turned into a weird guy and the day he walked out of the tour was the day the clouds disappeared and the day the sunshine came out and we haven't looked back since. And there are certain personal issues that I have with Ritchie, which means that I will never speak to him again. Nothing I'm going to discuss publicly, but deeply personal stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the divorce came a long time ago. I never want to see or hear of him again

That's cool - so bring on the MK.III reunion, is all I have to say :D :cool:

• GILLAN:
    I’ve only met David a couple times in parting.
    I’ve met Glenn a couple of times and I have great respect for him.

Notice what's missing here.
    He's met DC.
    He's met GH.
    He has great respect for Glenn.
    (Probably because "his Missus" replaced him with DC.)
    (Glenn was only supposed to play bass, and occasionally sing "Ouuuu, ahhhh.")

I take these things extremely personally and I get quite emotional about things.

When I left the band I didn't pay much attention to what Purple was doing--it's like watching your ex-Missus making love to some other guy.

Think about it:
    These quotes from Gillan say the exact opposite of each other........
    Either you take these things extremely personally and get emotional
    OR
    you don't pay much attention to what your ex-Missus is doing.
    You can't do both at the same time.

Quote from David

That's cool - so bring on the MK.III reunion, is all I have to say.

GOOD DOGGIE, DAVID! :lol:
    Haven't I been whining FOR A FEW YEARS, about drinking my morning coffee
    from my GH/DC coffee mug (tea beaker) in hope's of this happening?

axmuremoticon.gif

• GOOD DOGGIE, DAVID! :lol:
    Haven't I been whining FOR A FEW YEARS, about drinking my morning coffee
    from my GH/DC coffee mug (tea beaker) in hope's of this happening?

Maybe we should write a petiton for Mark III reunion?

:ghcp:

• i have ians book "CHILD IN TIME" where he talks alot about blackmore - its a great read about his life before and during deep purple

• Notice what's missing here.
    (Glenn was only supposed to play bass, and occasionally sing "Ouuuu, ahhhh.")

I thought Ritchie was quite interested in the idea of having two singers in the band and involving harmonies.

Although I get your point, David was definitely the replacement frontman.

• I believe Ian Gillan used exactly the same metaphor when he got sacked in DP and was replaced by Joe Lynn Turner.

- Fedor

• I'd read a quote on here saying that he wouldn't have minded having a few whiskies with RB one day. Ah well no matter. Nowt as queer as folk as they say in Yorkshire.

Nice words about Glenn. He didn't have to say all that but took the trouble to develop the compliment.

The ex Missus could be accused of being, hmmm shall we say a bit flighty, when it came to lead singers. However she did have very good taste after the first doomed relationship with Rod Evans who did not perform for her.

• Who would play guitar :huh:

And who would do the lead vocals on what part, since Glenn made a lot of the DP songs his own, I'd rather have Glenn do them himself, then share it ........... But that's how I think about it.

• Ian is certainly more tolerant towards David and Glenn than he was with Ritchie in the French program called "Taratata"that I attended on November , 6 . Indeed he said we couldn't have "Ritchie Blackmore" and" human being"in the same expression .

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!