LOR Wulfrun Hall Pix

• GLENN and JJ MARSH
    Legends Of Rock - The Wulfrun, Wolverhampton - Thursday, November 14th, 2002

Pictures & Review Courtesy: Pete Allen

There's no doubt that Frank Marino is a great guitar player, but for me personally he's still in the 70s. Extended guitar solos are really not the thing of the day these days, so even for a guitar 'anorak' like myself, it didn't really cut it for me. A bit of a yawn really, and this continued into the Uli Jon Roth set where he gave his astral guitar a bit of a work out on some of his concertos and even a snippet from ..... er ...... Westside Story, I think, or some other classic musical.

There's absolutely no doubt the next guy up was the star of the night .... our Glenn. When he was on stage there was a vibrance, energy, life .... call it what you will, but without him it was pretty static. I have to say that Glenn absolutely walks over any previous versions of Mistreated that you've ever heard .... he knocks DC into a cocked hat !!

The highlight though, undoubtedly, A Whiter Shade Of Pale. A faithful cover on the Marc Bonilla album but live... WWWOOOWWW !!! Suddenly it's a power ballad / rock song, absolutely 100% stunning ..... colossal. And as Glenn said to us beforehand, Burn had to close the show because nothing could follow it.

Jack Bruce was OK, pretty average really and he took a bit of stick a couple of times. I had hoped he would play his version of White Room and wasn't disappointed, it was very good. I was waiting for Uli to do Eric's wah-wah solo in the middle and he really pulled it off supremely well.

Overall, with Uli and Frank it was a bit 'trippy' and I think Glenn may have been better on a bill of a slightly different nature, although I suspect if Schenker had played, it would have put more of a hard rock edge on the proceedings. But it was still worth going to and I'm really looking forward to Manchester on Monday. I think Glenn picked totally the right songs for the occasion and was head and shoulders above the rest with, for me, Uli in second spot. He really played some superb guitar in support of both Glenn and Jack although I have to give JJ a mention and say that if he hadn't played then Glenn's set may not have shone as brightly - they gel so well together.

• ANOTHER brilliant review and the accompanying photos are some of the best I've seen so far. More serious boogying when I get to Nottingham! Think I'll do the Cambridge gig too - Corn Exchange is a fave of mine, and not an 'us' and 'them' type venue. Pity the gestapo gods seem to be spoiling it for a few.

Thanks for the warning Steve - would only have been taking a camera, and as I've never been to Nottingham before, I don't quite know what to expect. Anyone enlighten me?

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!