What books you like to read ?

• What books do you like to read and which author do you most admire ?. At the moment, I'm a big fan of Dan Brown and I'm reading The Da Vinci Code. I have his
    other books too, which are Deception Point, Digital Fortress and Angels And Demon, but I
    have those to read yet.

I also admire Stephen King. I love his style and the way his novels are made into movies.
    Examples include The Shining and The Green Mile. Classics :) :D :cool:

Ayesha

• Im also a fan of Dan Brown,I have read all of his books except Angels and Demons.I also like Graham Masterton who writes very good horror stories! :D

• I've read all Dan Brown's books and enjoyed each of them but was dissapointed by the Da Vinci code movie.
    I grew up reading Terry Prattchet and my favourite is Good Omens! I have to say that I'm a sucker for the Lord of the rings trilogy aswell.
    Horror wise Dean Koontz and Anne Rice's first three Vampire Chronicles.
    I wish I had time to read now but my 7 month old prefers slightly less advanced subject matter.
    Oh well off to the material books I go!!!!

• Quote from Dave.b

I've read all Dan Brown's books and enjoyed each of them but was dissapointed by the Da Vinci code movie.
    I grew up reading Terry Prattchet and my favourite is Good Omens! I have to say that I'm a sucker for the Lord of the rings trilogy aswell.
    Horror wise Dean Koontz and Anne Rice's first three Vampire Chronicles.
    I wish I had time to read now but my 7 month old prefers slightly less advanced subject matter.
    Oh well off to the material books I go!!!!

I love Lord of the Rings too. I have all the trilogy on movies. I only have one book which is The Fellowship Of The Ring. I am also a big Harry Potter fan and have all the books and movies:) ;) :D :D :cool: :cool: .

Ayesha

• hey, some decent and honourable mentions here!

Sorry, I am waaaay to biased, but that comes with the job.
    Books are my profession. Yes.
    And the most professional task is to buy and sell titles that you would never read, but you have to know what they're about, and you really have to know why you're selling them and to whom you're selling them!
    Sometimes I read 40 pages, 70 pages of books just to know what they're like and what they're about, but that comes with the job.
    I read and I finish only those that I really want to read.
    And that is still a lot!

So, a few notes on those that have been mentioned here:

Harry Potter - essential. I love it. I have spent nights with those books. Says it all, huh!

Good Omens - what can I say? Hilarious!

I can't believe that Graham Masterton is mentioned!!!
    When I met Todd we spoke about H.P. Lovecraft, and I mentioned how big a literary revelation Mountains Of Madness had been for me, and some of his epigones, and I mentioned that I was reading a book by Graham Masterton then.
    The best Lovecraft-like story I ever read was Imagon by German author Michael Marrack. One of my favourite books of all time. Unfortunately I think that this is still not being translated!

Don't like Stephen King too much. Personally I prefer Clive Barker and Neil Gaiman.
    I thought the best story turned into a movie was the Dead Zone, not only because I think it's basically a good story, but Christopher Walken's performance is stunning in this!

Dan Brown - the biggest impact on the book market since - yeah, every time a new Harry Potter book is published. Of course we're very happy about that. Yet, in Potter's case, there's only one to go... :(
    The Da Vinci Code is an excellent read (hey, don't take it too seriously, it's fiction!), and I really liked Angels and Demons aswell. Except for a few details maybe (no spoilers!) that I thought were a little over the top.
    Digital Fortress, nah. Total rubbish.
    Deception Point. Yeah, a decent thriller.

In German literature, Hermann Hesse will always be one of my my favourite. Siddharta, Demian and especially the Glass Bead Game point out for me.
    Of course, the list of important literature would be very, very long, so I can only point out a few.
    Don't forget that there were and there are many excellent writers in Austria too......

To cut things short, and throw in more names - here are the last three books I read:

- Labyrinth by Mark T. Sullivan :thumbup:
    - Metro (a book about undergrounds, their history and architecture, very interesting!) by Mitchell Beazley
    and last but definitely not least
    - The Duke Of Hazard - The Wisdom and Wit of Prince Philip
    by Phil Dampier and Ashley Walton. :D

And I haven't decided on the next one! That choice is always the hardest! :huh: :confused:

Later,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• H.P. Lovecraft indeed! I could hardly read The Shadow Out of Time fast enough!

I've enjoyed several books by Stephen Baxter, two in particular being Titan and Voyage. 'Voyage' is a bit of revisionist history, and supposes that JFK was merely crippled in an assassination attempt. He remains a very public supporter of the space program, in which the Apollo and Shuttle programs are combined, and man lands on Mars in 1985. Baxter is brilliant. His books can get pretty far out, but these two in particular are top notch. Moonseed is also worth mentioning.

I'm a sucker for books by Jeffrey Archer too. I've read As The Crow Flies, The 4th Estate, Honour Among Thieves, The Eleventh Commandment and Sons of Fortune. All very captivating.

A Fine and Private Place by Peter S Beagle, is about a man who experiences love and loss after death. Wonderfully eccentric book.

The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin, Jr. Kind of a barnyard version of the apocalypse. Think 'Watership Down'. When I realized I was going to have to read this in high school, I cringed. I ended up loving it, and bought a copy for myself. Brilliant.

Billion Dollar Baby by Bob Greene is the inside story of the Winter 1973/1974 'Billion Dollar Babies' tour by Alice Cooper Group.

I have a large collection of books - music biographies, books about horror in film, England, MASH and Christmas. And just like music...it always seems like I'm looking for more. :lol:

Cheers....Todd

• ooh how could I forget Robert Rankin!!:D

You just can't go wrong with titles like -

"Knees up Mother Earth"
    "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse"
    "Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls"
    "The Witches of Chiswick"
    "The Brentford Chain-Store Massacre"
    ...definitely good for a giggle!

• There are many books I enjoy ranging from fiction to non-fiction. I have some books by Leo Tolstoy, books by and about the "Beat Generation" authors, books about filmmakers assessing the content and form of their productions, books by Stephen Hawking and Michio Kaku discussing Physics in an accessible manner, plays by Ibsen, Pirandello and Strindberg and poetry by Keats and Tennyson.

-Fender Classic Player '50s Sunburst Strat
    -Fender 1988 MIJ STM Strat
    -Fender 2003 American Standard Olympic White Strat
    -Fender 2003 Highway One Sunburst Strat
    -Fender 2015 Deluxe Roadhouse Vintage White Strat
    -Warmoth Purple Black Burst Strat
    -Ibanez 1990 RG560 Grape Ice
    -Ibanez 2006 Prestige BTB1206E NTF 6 String Bass
    -Ibanez 2007 JEM7VWH
    -Ibanez 2013 UV70P-BK
    -Almansa A-413F Flamenco
    -NK Headless Purple Blue Burst

• #1. History
    #2. History
    #3. And for a change of pace.......History.

This might seem like a rather one-sided list,
    but there's an awful lot of titles under the heading of:

"The History of _______________."

axmuremoticon.gif

• Sounds pretty familiar to me....

First of all,

History Books, mainly from the times from

Ancient Rome...
    18./19th Century (Napoleon ect.)
    early 20th century regarding politics in the times of WW I & WW II ...

Biographies....

Documentary literature in general too...

but also good Science Fiction literature and novels ...

and last but not least ...literature about aviation, airplanes ect. both civilian and military from now and then....

...and many more...

Achim

• Quote from schreinermusic

Ancient Rome...

Being a New York City kid, my second home
    was the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
    Anybody who's ever been there,
    knows their Ancient Egyptian section........
    Fascinated me then; fascinates me now.
    Books, TV documentaries - I can't get enough.
    And for the Italian touch, the ruins of Pompei.........

early 20th century regarding politics
    in the times of WW I & WW II ...

The Book of World History turned a big page,
    when Franz Ferdinand was murdered in 1914.
    And Robert Massie's "Nicholas and Alexandra"
    started me on my Russian history obsession........

Biographies....
    Documentary literature in general too...

Yep.
    If it's in English, I read it.
    If not, I look at the pictures :)

and last but not least ...literature about aviation,
    airplanes ect. both civilian and military from now and then....

As a severe tomboy, I made models out of plastic kits.
    The F-106, The Blue Angels, Chuck Yeager's Bell X-1,
    and my favorite jet of all time.......the beautiful black X-15,
    a forerunner of the space shuttle.

...and many more...

Reading a book, while listening to Glenn Hughes........
    You betcha ;)

Grace

axmuremoticon.gif

• ...these similarities already scare me......:confused:

Grace, if we ever meet...I guess we could talk for hours...;)

P.S. My alltime favourite jet will always be the
    F-4 Phantom II ...:D

The air force squadron where I did serve for 6 years used to have those ...
    Unfortunetaly, I never had the chance to fly with one of those (even as a passenger), since I was only "ground personnel" (air force infantry captain) ...

cheers, Achim

the picture below shows me in front of a F-4 in a museum, near where I live...

• Quote from schreinermusic

...these similarities already scare me......

Hey....good thing that you're not standing in front of the air in-take.

My older cousin was career Air Force, stationed in Japan.
    He gave little Grace a bracelet with silver charms of Mount Fujiyama,
    a garden gate, Budda, and a fan, which I still have.
    He was in a (?) C-135 re-fueling plane.

And during WW II, my father worked in a factory making parts
    for the B-17 Flying Fortress, the B-24 Liberator, and the B-29
    Super Fortress. And there was a TV show when I was a little kid,
    based on the Steve Canyon newspaper cartoon strip,
    where he was in the US Air Force. I remember nothing about
    the episode's stories, but the opening and closing of the show
    was jets flying around. (Think of the opening moments of "Top Gun.")
    Plus, I usually rode my bike with my cousins (all boys) to a nearby hobby shop,
    and we all bought "Revell" plastic model kits.

The bad news was that even on a little kiddy ride at an amusement park,
    I would usually get motion sickness. So no flying career for me :(
    Being a dope as a little kid, I never got the significance of the words:
    "F" for fighter, or "B" for bomber. I thought that they just flew around.

Yeah, our similarities really are scary, but.........
    To keep this connected to the famous Glenn Hughes thread,
    ( ~~~~ ) we all know how frequently we GHCPs write something,
    usually about music, and this is usually followed by a bunch of us
    adding our own "Me, too."

Face it. We GHCPs are a nice bunch of Crazy People.
    And we seem to (in general) think alike about a number of things.
    As an example, we all seem to have needed to hear GH sing
    "I don't want to live that way again" at some point in our lives,
    whenever we are hit with some problem.

And we usually try to help each other out, in finding a missing GH album,
    from around the world.

And we are NEVER satisfied with Glenn's touring schedule :(

Grace, if we ever meet...I guess we could talk for hours...

Well, for a few minutes anyway, before.........:axe:

;) Grace

axmuremoticon.gif

• Not counting all the classics I read for English, German and Italian literature classes, I'm a sucker for any biography or history book. I steer clear of best seller lists....I read best sellers when they've gone out of fashion, which means I'll probably read The Da Vinci Code in about 10 years....

In this crazy world you must change yourself....

Never compare yourself to others - people are more screwed up than you think.

• Biographies most of the time though just been again loaned The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail which I read years ago, and last night started Jesus The Man by Barbara Thiering.

Fascinating stuff.

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• You any my hubby would so get along then. LOL He is a history buff.

I like a wide variety of stuff (just like my music) :) I love C.S. Lewis (his nonfiction and fiction - The Chronicles of Narnia series...still a kid at heart I guess).

I love Larry McMurty's Lonesome Dove series - especially Comanche Moon - the last book.

Bram Stoker's Dracula is really good.

When I was a teen, I was really into reading a series of books by David Eddings.

Recently I started on a book I have not finished but am liking so far called Wizards First Rule.

For westerns - I have read a couple of Ralph Compton books that I liked a lot.

• I think it was Schreinermusic who mentioned the simmalaritys in how GHCP think about certain things. It seems like we for most part like the same stuff.

For example Shirll mentioned: the holy blood and the holy grail...
    I"M READING IT NOW
    (together with Cell (SK) and a book about the ancient egyptians, i'm a sucker for (classic) history)
    I just ordered the dvd from national geografics about the Judas 'evangelie' .

Looks like we all got more incommen than we think :eek: :cool: ;) :D

cheers
    Hiawatha72
    http://www.burnermusic.nl

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!