Eurovision is on and there's the opportunity to vote for ROCK!!!

• Just letting all the UK rock fans that there's a decent rock act in Eurovision which is on now. Lordi - a Finnish hard rock outfit. The song's a bit Eurovision-ish, but there have already been complaints that the band promote satanism, so at least some people have had their feathers ruffled.

Vote Lordi!

• Now if this is not OFF TOPIC, what is really?

Anyway...
    This year's contest was exceptionally bad. Actually it has been embarassing for years, with the voting being nothing more than a farce :sint1:
    And the singing doesn't really matter any more. It's all about putting on a spectacular show, good looks (exclude Finland this year) and voting for your political friends and neighbours.
    :confused:
    Thumbs up to the UK's moderator of the show on BBC Prime, Terry Wogan, who once again gave an outstanding commentary!!!
    :lol2:
    So, Tero - are you going to post the winning entry here? :D
    To give you a slight clue of what the Finnish entry's performers look like, I'll use this smiley here :axe: courtesy of our very own Madame G.

And now for another cold beer.....
    :cheers:
    Christian

• ...winning is all that counts...right? :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

No - to be honest Hard Rock Hallelujah is pretty simple and quite horrible track, but now I have to admit that sometimes jokes do work... :)

Just like the Bee Gees used to sing...

"I started a joke which started the whole world crying
    But I didn't see that the joke was on me, oh no
    I started to cry which started the whole world laughing
    Oh If I'd only seen that the joke was on me.

I looked at the skies running my hands over my eyes
    And I fell out of bed hurting my head from things that I said
    'Till I finaly died which started the whole world living
    Oh If I'd only seen that the joke was on me

I looked at the skies running my hands over my eyes
    And I fell out of bed hurting my head from things that I said
    'Till I finaly died which started the whole world living
    Oh If I'd only seen that the joke was on me
    Oh no that the joke was on me"

:bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer:

T:)

• Quote from jerklund

Just like the Bee Gees used to sing...

Honestly, Tero:

Did you know the Bee Gees' version of the song (I started A Joke, that is) before or after Faith No More covered it? (with an excellent video clip btw.)
    ;)
    oh, and thanks for those pics! :D

Cheers,
    Christian

• I can only agree absolutely to what Chris wrote about the present Eurovision song contest. It isn´t what it once used to be anymore, it becomes more and more a joke. Many years ago the artists did have to sing in their own country language only, which made it more interesting, but this was also dropped some years ago. I zapped through the show yesterday evening a few times but couldn´t stand it very long though....:rolleyes:
    But in the big picture its only a logical process. In times where the individual musical talent of the so called "artists" in the "music scene" is constantly decreasing (at least in the pop music scene which is largely featured by mass media) it takes no wonder to that kind of developement in this song contest as well.

I´m praying daily that that whole process of "combining exhausting dance moves, with tons of lyrics (so called RAP) and/or added parts of covered hits" (----> Madonna "Hung Up") will one day just disappear in a huge puff of smoke :D

On the other side its only a reflection of what people/listeners demands, which don´t seem much.....

But this an endless topic to discuss about, so I will have to stop here :lol:
    Just my 3 cents....

Rock it,
    Achim

• Well done Lordi - saw them in London last year and enjoyed every minute! :D

Still haven't heard this song as I can't bring myself to watch the Eurovision Song Contest - it's just so naff! :rolleyes:

• I took the attitude that anything that stirs up Eurovision a bit was for the good. I watch it every year, for the naff-ness as much as anything. Every year there is at least one absolute barking act (Thank you, Lithuania). To see someone come in and do something a bit different as Lordi did was a breath of fresh air, and to see them win was marvellous. I'd agree that their song wasn't the best rock song ever, but in the context of Eurovision, what they did was fine by me.

But what usually happens in Eurovision is that once something has succeeded one year, you usually get a whole lot of "me too" acts the next year. So will there be people knocking on Glenn's door asking him to represent the UK next year? :D

• Thanks for posting, David. Its the first time I heard the song, I must say I like it :D
    These guys kinda remind a bit of the old KISS...dunna why ;)
    David, talking about BUCKS FIZZ, I still have the original single of their song "Making Your Mind Up" which made it up to first place in 1981.
    What are you willing to pay to this copy??? :D :D :D :D

Share the music, share the love :lol:
    Achim

• Lordi's win was the best thing that could happen to this rotten institution that is the Eurovision "Song" Contest, apart from it being buried for all times to come.

There was this e-mail circulating a looong time ago about finns and our supposed attitude to coldness. A bit long but kind of fits under this topic, so here you go.

+15 'C / 59 'F
    This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10 'C / 50 'F
    The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5 'C / 41 'F
    Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0 'C / 32 'F
    Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5 'C / 23 'F
    People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10 'C / 14 'F
    The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves.

-20 'C / -4 'F
    The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30 'C / -22 'F
    People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40 'C / -40 'F
    Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the
    hotdog stands.

-50 'C / -58 'F
    Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60 'C / -76 'F
    Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70 'C / -94 'F
    The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183 'C / -297.4 'F
    Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273 'C / -459.4 'F
    ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today!"

-300 'C / -508 'F
    Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest

• Im glad Lordi won this years contest. I never ever wachted the Euro Songfestival because of it's pathetic silly song. With all due respect but look at this years German or Dutch song :confused:
    The good thing is, everybody (the press) is talking its a discrase Lordi won, but hey, the hell with them, they gotta live with it.

• Thanks Arnito, that was a great list, really enjoyed it! :D

Arjen, you´re mostly right beside the fact that I found this years german song "No, No, No" by Texas Lightning MUCH better than all the stuff from our country in the previous years. I find it a pretty good country song :singer:

cheers, Achim

• Quote from Arjen

Im glad Lordi won this years contest. I never ever wachted the Euro Songfestival because of it's pathetic silly song. With all due respect but look at this years German or Dutch song :confused:
    The good thing is, everybody (the press) is talking its a discrase Lordi won, but hey, the hell with them, they gotta live with it.

Which press is saying that it's a disgrace that Lordi won? None that I've seen. All the reports I've seen are saying that their win is a breath of fresh air.

Which press is saying that it's a disgrace that Lordi won? None that I've seen. All the reports I've seen are saying that their win is a breath of fresh air.

Well basically the Dutch press. But the Dutch suck anyways on this subject. Just look how our commentator made a TOTAL fool out of himself.

• That was a really funny list, Arnito.
    (Gee, this is May already. Don't get fried in the sun.)

And good luck to Finland in future year's contests.
    (Personally, I like that snappy version of "Happy Birthday"
    that frequently appears here............) :birthday:

Grace

• Quote from Arjen

Just look how our commentator made a TOTAL fool out of himself.

yes, Arjen - that was the lowest :sint1: I couldn't believe it when I saw it, and I still can't believe it now :huh: :huh: :huh:
    Then again you should have heard how Terry Wogan commntated on him on the BBC :D

Later,
    Christian

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!