VH-1 "Heavy: The Story Of Metal" interview

• Last year during the brief promotion for Fused, GLENN was in New York and was interviewed by VH-1 for a segment to be included in their upcoming rockumentary series, Heavy: The Story Of Metal.

It gets it first airing starting this Monday, May 22nd (9:00PM EST) thru May 29th.

GLENN is supposed to be featured in the first of the four featured episodes.

You can find out more details such as air date schedules etc by visiting the VH-1 website:

http://www.vh1.com/shows/dyn/heav…showtimes.jhtml

Metal is rock's untamed wild child. Metal is rude, crude, irreverent and irrepressibly loud. Metal is rock and roll just as it's supposed to be, which is why everyone from Black Sabbath to Iron Maiden to Motley Crue to Slayer to Slipknot, have been hated by critics, feared by parents, attacked by politicians, and blamed for most of the world's ills. So how did a combination of the devil and decibels become such an irresistible lure to generations of metal fans around the world?

What Ken Burns did for jazz, VH1 does for heavy metal - only a lot louder. Heavy: The Story of Metal, traces the evolution of heavy metal music and culture, from its dark, grim beginnings in Birmingham, England to the worldwide force that it remains to this day.

In a series of four chronological hours, Heavy: The Story of Metal, explores four decades of music, each hour examining this powerful and often misunderstood genre, from metal's pioneers to its love of glam and excess; from the fight for metal's rebellious soul to its storied flirtation with the devil.

• Just checked it out and of course they didn't mention Glenn at all nor did they show his interview and what is even worse there was no trace of Deep Purple.
    Lots of Sabbath and Zeppelin which I have no problem with but Purple, in my mind (minus the Bonham and Buttler talent) is the better of the 3 as a whole, were not counted for !

Where's the justice in that !
    Sometimes you know, you are watching these shows, and it is like, C'mon you guys don't know what you are talking about and you feel you want to add your knowledge or apreciations to let people know that Glenn Hughes is the true talent of that era and still to this very day ! IMO
    gosh!!!

• Perhaps they don't think he's Metal enough! Actually, that's not a bad thing in my book. To be honest, don't think much of this "history", they're skipping over so much and calling things metal when they're plainly not. Shouldn't be surprised, stopped watching these channels with any regularity a long, long time ago.

• i didnt see the first one saw the second episode :eek: in which they started with judas priest (i was foolish enough to think ok -maybe this will be alright from there it was iron madien -ok ) but then it went to van halen? :eek: and then def leopard??????????? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: dont get me wrong iv seen people comment on here about both bands - if thats what some of you like hey its alright with me but NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL EVER BE ABLE TO TELL ME THAT DEF LEOPARD OR VAN HALEN ARE METAL- NEVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• David and Tony....my thoughts exactly.
    I bet if you got in touch with the person that put the interview clips together and asked them why they didn't use the footage of Glenn, you'd get an answer something like..."well, we didn't think Glenn had the name recognition to be included....". :rolleyes: Yeah right, as if a few of the ones they did use have any more recognition than Glenn. Like David and Tony said, they are skipping over a lot and are including some questionable bands. What little they are including, Glenn has a direct link to these bands and is a prime source of info and a perfect person to provide comment.

Anyway...I still enjoy watching this series. I missed out on most of the metal scene from the '80's, being from the generation before, growing up in the 60's and 70's. I just couldn't get into any of these bands. When they started to creep into the pages of my beloved Circus and Rolling Stone magazines, I had to cancel those subscriptions and started to listen more to jazz and blues music. 

Besides, we've got more important things to worry about. Like getting Glenn's new album as soon as possible, getting a few gigs in the States, getting Glenn to fullfill my dream of recording his version of Sly Stone's "If You Want Me To Stay" ;) being able to buy Freak Flag Flying.....you know...stuff like that :D

Chip

Chip

• Can someone tell me,WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT LITTLE SNIPPET IF YOU CAN CALL IT THAT OF GLENN ON HEAVY LAST NIGHT? Where is Deep Purple in all of this? If they can show Def Leopard and the other glam,trash,sleaze bands from L.A. Why not the Purple BABY?Don't get me wrong i like damn near all the bands that they have been showing,hell, the 80's were my teen years!Some great nostalgic memories.However,That five second clip of glenn commenting on spinal tap was straight messed up! :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Keep in mind that those guys are sifting through TONS of interviews for comments. And also, it's kind of funny that there have been a couple comments about the show featuring bands that are most definitely not metal. Yet, there is some disgust about the lack of footage featuring Glenn - who's not metal either :lol:

To a lot of people, any band with an overdriven guitar is metal. Hell, Blue Cheer has been referred to as a metal band. Psych-blues-boogie band Steppenwolf were first to coin the phrase in song. Sure, early bands like those and Purple, Zeppelin, etc. spawned what BECAME heavy metal. But they weren't themselves metal, nor were the likes of Bon Jovi, Ratt or Quiet Riot. But I dont' think vh-1 would draw as much of an audience for a show focusing on Manowar, Grim Reaper and Judas Priest :confused: So Poison, Guns N Roses and Skid Row become "metal".

By the way, when the hell did DirecTV and the other digital music providers decide that metal was almost exclusively bands like In Flames, Lacuna Coil and Lamb Of God?! All those bands with their Cookie Monster vocalists... Why not mix in some more traditional metal like Gamma Ray, Rhapsody and Silent Force? Sheesh...:mad:

Cheers...Todd

• Here's the snippet from last night - you'd think they'd include more than 3 seconds of Glenn, afterall, he was interviewed for nearly 2 hours that day :eek:

Plus they label him as Sabbath & Deep Purple and in addition, don't even include Purple in their story!! Not even MK.II, let alone III and IV :rolleyes:

Anyway, since it's so short, I literally took it straight off the TV!

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!