How and when did you first hear about glenn?

• I don't know if this question was ever asked on this site but,I first heard his exquisite voice on seventh star's album back in 1986, I was 15 at the time.Of course it was no stranger to love that blew me away! I knew then that (1) I had to buy this album,being a big fan of sabbath anyway and (2) I had to find out who this guy was!As the years rolled on I asked around and of course I went on the web to immerse my self in all things glenn.Glenn's albums are like potatoe chips,you can't just buy one!!!!!! Also,some of his albums are hard to find so they're like hunting for a sunken treasure!!!! :cool:

• I first heard Glenn on Hughes/Thrall. I was 13 and my mate's older brother was playing it! I've amassed nearly all his material, solo and guesting since then. I finally got to see Glenn live at the Borderline in London 1992, with Trapeze, and have been to at least one of his gigs everytime he's toured England since!

• ...through Whitesnake's 1984 "Slide It In" album. It featured Glenn's Trapeze bandmate Mel Galley on guitar. After that I bought Trapeze's 1972 album "You Are The Music, We're Just The Band" and it started from there. Those are brilliant albums.

Ayesha

• of course the first album i ever bought-then my brother turned me on to the la blues cd -i remember thinking at the time that rock music was still alive-thank god!!- iv been hooked since

• I believe it was Seventh Star for me too. I got that album when I was about 17 maybe (I'm now 20)? I saw it going cheap and brought it. I remember loving it and loving Glenn's voice.

I then got into the Mk3/4 DP stuff and it rapidly grew from there.

• In the fall of 1982, Klos was playing Look In Your Eye on the radio and Bam magazine ran an article on Hughes Thrall, which I've put on here somewhere. Unfortunately I just thought the song was ok although now I think it's great. Funny how we grow up and change, on my wall during that time were tons of pictures of The Who and I was totally obsessed with them, now I've totally outgrown The Who and never listen to them, although I wouldn't mind doing so again and have purchased several of their remastered albums and attended a superb Hollywood Bowl show in August, 2000. Back to the early days, 1986's Stranger to Love made a big impression, but it still took me another 12 years to get bit by and influenced by the GHCP bug. Better late than never.

John

• Mine was Seventh Star too. I was at a record fair in 1991 and being a Sabbath fan it I looked for some more cd's I didn't have. I only had the DIO and Tony MArtin cd's/records. So when I asked the dealer on the fair if this was a good record he replied:"Yeah sure try it. Then I asked if this Glenn Hughes was a good singer otherwise I didn't want it :)
    Then the dealer asked to another dealer: Hey this Glenn Hughes, he is a good singer isn't he? And the other dealer said. Well yeah, he's okay.
    hahah Damn He's Okay??? hahah If I only knew back then.
    Well as you can imagine I bought the cd and the rest is history.

• For me being as "young" as I am I was well aware of his time in Deep Purple and didn't really hear or think much more about him until the 7th Star album came out. I am/was a diehard Sabbath fan and hated it!! I thought it was total garbage. I went to see them on that tour simply because it was Tony Iommi and he is the architect of metal without a doubt. So I get to the show and they start out with Mob Rules and this guy is belting it out!! I mean it sounded like Dio but younger and stronger!! I'm thinking this ain't Glenn Hughes. The guy looked real youung and skinny unlike the rather large GH at the time. Of course I was right!! It was Ray Gillen and he was fabulous.

So for years I had nothing good to say about Glenn and thought he was a washed up druggie basically. Then I started reading things on the web a year or so ago about how he cleaned up and was singing better than ever. So when fused came out I got it and loved it!! So my quest began. I have been buying up all the GH I can get my hands on. And I think the reason I hated 7th Star so much is simple. It's NOT a Sabbath record and wasn't intended to be. In the proper context it's a great album, just not a Sabbs album.

But Glenn I was wrong!! It took me years to figure that out but we all see the light sooner or later. Hopefully anyway. So here's to many many more great records :claphands

• I left out of my story my other contacts with GH were reading all those stories about him in Kerrang in 85-86...including his interview in the issue with Blackie on the cover and the Gary Moore/Sabbath scandals. In 1995 I bought that Shrapnel Purple tribute album and was really impressed by Glenn's version of Stormbringer, by far the best song on the album. Around this time I also bought the DP Heavy Metal Pioneers documentary. Glenn's singing on there was already influencing me as I tried some of his harmonies when we did Smoke on the Water. But damn, it still took me another three years before I got into Glenn.

John

John

• For me (& I'm showing my age here!) it was Burn when it first came out after which I bought Play Me Out on vinyl and that was it; hooked! Was lucky enough to see Glenn with Sabbath at the Hammersmith Odean but not lucky enough to see him with Purple.
    Seen him loads since then and we should be honoured that he produces so much music!
    Damian

• WAY BACK WHEN, I THINK 1980 OR 1981 I BOUGHT A DP BEST OF WITH BURN AND STORMBRINGER ON IT . I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE 2 VOCALS. BUT THE BASSS PLAYING ACTUALLY INTRESSED ME A LOT. LESS IS MORE :bow:

GLENN ACTUALLY INFLUNCED ME MORE AS A BASS PLAYER. I PASSED MANY AUDITIONS BY PLAYING "THE WAY GLENN HUGHES WOULD DO IT" THEN CAME MADE IN EUROPE, MADE IN LONDON, ECT...:bow:

MORE RECENTLY I FOUND A COPY OF BUILDING THE MACHINE AND WAS CAPTIVATED BY THE WAY HE PLAYS BASS. THE BAND I WAS IN WANTED ME TO GET A 5 STRING BASS BUT I REFUSED. AFTER HEARING MACHINE AND R.O.C.K. A HAD TO DO IT IF ONLY TO LEARN GLENN'S PARTS. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE BASS TABS FOR GLENN OUT THERE :thumbup:

• I first heard Glenn during the year 1972, at a Friends house....he has been my Favorite singer ever since that day......

I'm 49 now........

Kenny

• file this somewhere under the i'm old, but not THAT old catagory... i was in middle school in the early 70s and i hung out w/ some older dudes. i don't remember them being into trapese, but they were defenantly into some purple music. they had the burn album and i was very impressed. for one thing, as a young stoner, i wanted those candles (or @ least some just like it). as far as the music goes, to anyone(almost) who grew up going to school in the 70s, "burn" was not just a song, it was a way of life. a smokers anthem, if you will. .... and all i hear , is burn !! Actually , my favorite songs were mistreated and might just take your life. i've been fortunate enough to hear glenn ( and david) sing burn, but as for " might just take your life" well , me and a few others standing outside of the emerald theatre in detroit heard them jam to part of it, but since glenn was sick and chad kicked over his drums, we never got to officially see them play it.. so, as glenn gets ready to announce the next U.S. dates for his FUNK tour this year ;) , let me just keep reminding him very respectfully, that he owes me one there.
    peace

• Mine was a combo: I was/is a Gary Moore fan and had just finished listening to Run For cover when Seventh Star came out. Hearing the amazing vocals of this guy named Glenn Hughes I had to search out more of his music which led me to Purple and Trapeze. I was hooked ever since
    :bow:

Maz

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!