Glenn's singing on recent albums

• Does anyone else agree with my opinion that Glenn should try to steer away from the kind of scream style vocals he's been keen on laying down on the past few albums? Listen to his singing on In My Blood from SITKOR for example. I get the feeling he's stuck in "scream" mode there without even thinking about it. The problem is I don't think it suits him very well, being well aware of what he's capable of. I played the song to a friend the other day, and his first comment was "why is he screaming?". I knew what he was talking about.

Compare this to the soulful singing on Addiction, From Now On, Phenomena or Hughes/Thrall for example. There's a big difference in his approach there wouldn't you agree? Would be SO happy to see him go back to that kind of singing again.

Daniel

• huh...i always thought producer Marc Bonilla tried to steer Glenn away from his funkyfied soulfullness on Addiction.....

I agree that his screaming can be a bit much at times...in Purple he did go over the top.....but hey who didn't go over the top in those days????

But yes..glenn doesn't make too many 'pop' records'....tho' he's pretty good at it....

• i tend to think of it as just another example of glenns vocal arsenal

• Can't say I've found it annoying at all. I think Glenn's vocals have always been brilliant. Personally I find his present style of vocals has suited the material he's been doing. He's used other styles on other albums.

If his new album is a change in style again as is claimed then I imagine that the vocals would be different again.

It might just be due to aged production, but I don't think Glenn's at his best on Hughes/Thrall vocally. If anything I notice screaming more on that record.

• i think you will all be pleasantly surprised at whats on the new songs..his approach is very appropiate for each piece of music.

• I think that all Glenn's albums are an evolution and he has such an outstanding voice that he can sing everything he wants. Glenn is constantly working on new stuff and... we, the Glenn Hughes' fans do not have to wait a long time to hear him singing, and that's always good for us.

:clapper: Thanks Glenn.

Pere

• There are some songs that I would love for Glenn to sing as if it were a "lullabye."

"You Keep On Moving" WITHOUT the mid-way point of "upping the voltage" as it's usually done.

Glenn took "Video Killed the Radio Star" and sounded heart-broken while singing it. Perfect.

Other songs build up to "Houston.......we.....HAVE.......lift-off."

Depends on the song.

axmuremoticon.gif

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!