Who are the top Ten guitar players in rock?

• My opinion only, I would have to say,Jimi Hendrix, Joe satriani, Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Jake E.Lee, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Angus Young, Michael Schenker and Eddie VanHalen! You have to give it up :clapper: :bow: for these guys!

• A fantastic top ten,you can't argue with those names.This is a hard one but my favourites are Frank Zappa, Jimmy Page, Tommy Bolin, Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmour, Eddie Hazel, Ted Nugent, Eddie Van Halen, Tony Iommi and Paul Kossoff. I could easily list another ten that would be equally valid, but i admire these particularly because they have thrilled me and amazed me with their powers of innovation in equal measures. ps. JJ would definately get into my top 20!

• Ok heres mine in no particular order

Ritchie Blackmore
    Steve Morse
    Albert Lee
    Hendrix
    JJ Marsh
    Gary Moore
    Bernie Marsden
    Scott Gorham
    Tommy Bolin
    Vai/Satriani - both the same anyway
    Bernie Torme

Could add more but theyre my favs!

• Nice to see Bernie Torme in there! I've got a bunch of Bernie's albums, "Electric Gypsies" and "Wild Irish" being my faves of his RetroWrek CD's. And of course his Gillan material. He's a very underrated guitarist, in my book! And a hell of a nice guy, to boot.

I remember seeing a Bloom County cartoon strip years ago, in which a scene from an Ozzy concert was imagined, and in the scene Ozzy screams to his guitarist to do a solo. He says "Take it, Bernie..." Either the cartoonist is an Ozzy fan in the know, or it's a total coincidence. Either way, it was funny to see.

Cheers...Todd

• Hi there,

in no specific order:

Ritchie Blackmore
    Tony Iommi
    Steve Morse
    Tommy Bolin
    Peter Frampton
    Gary Moore
    Warren Haynes
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Rory Gallagher
    Jimi Hendrix

Merry Christmas,
    Achim

• Tough question.

Today it would be, in no particular order.....

Terry Kath
    Frank Marino
    Rory Gallagher
    Tommy Bolin
    Robin Trower
    John Norum
    Martin Barre
    Pat Travers
    John McLauglin
    Chuck Berry....without whom we wouldn't be having this conversation ;)

Chip

PS - Some guy by the name of Howie something or another, would probably make my top 500. Luv ya Howie ;) :lol:

Chip

• Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1. John Petrucci
    2. Ritchie Blackmore
    3. Steve Howe
    4. Steve Vai
    5. Eddie Van Halen
    6. Dave Murray
    7. Tony Iommi
    8. JJ Marsh (seriosuly love Marsh, adaptable, but distinctive)
    9. Robert Fripp
    10. Marco Sfogli

Today anyway, always subject to change!

• In no particular order: Alan Holdsworth, Larry Carlton, Ronnie Montrose, Mick Box, Joe Bonamossa, Jan Akkerman, Jon McLaughlin, Rory Gallagher, Richie Blackmore, Robert Fripp with Honorable Mention to Leslie West and Adrian Belew and Roye Albrighton.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• in no particular order and far from complete.....
    :bow:
    Gary Moore
    Scott Gorham
    Steve Stevens
    Adrian Belew
    Jeff Buckley
    Clem Clempson
    Chris Spedding
    Dave Kilminster
    James Dean Bradfield
    Steve Hackett

and since 10 is not enough.... :huh:
    Jimmy Page, Richie Kotzen, Robin Trower, Roine Stolt, John Mitchell, Allan Holdsworth, Steve Howe, Brian Robertson, Eric Bell, John Sykes, Snowy White - I could save one rank in the TOP 10 and put all Thin Lizzy guitar players in one place :D

This is too hard..... :confused:

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Chip,
    I guess great minds think alike :cool: :D or is that grate minds :huh:

• Quote from toadsterama

I'm shocked that two people named someone so obscure as the guitarist from Nektar. Show-offs. :lol:

Cheers...Todd

That's exactly why I didn't list Roye originally. I didn't want someone thinking I was padding my list with obscure names to make myself look cool. But sure enough....someone (todd) made the comment anyway :lol: :lol:

Nektar was'nt a big hit in their homeland of England, but were huge in the U.S. (the midwest and east coast anyway) and Germany where they based themselves out of.

No matter what genre of progressive music you're interested in, there's a pretty cool site that covers it all.....

http://www.progarchives.com

Chip

Chip

• Well, since we have made a mini-topic out of Nektar, I will recommend their 2004 album, "Evolution" to all out there. And, to show off some more, I am one of the people thanked by the band in the insert of the CD. They even sent an autographed copy to those who helped with the production cost of the disc. AND for those on the West Coast, Nektar will be at BajaProg in March of 2006 along with Mostly Autumn and Marillion among others.
    Nektar may have aged physically, but they are still in 70s form on stage and, though only two originals remain (Roye and Ron Howden), they are still one of the greatest bands on the planet. If you get a chance, check out the band live or grab the Nektar Classics Live DVD and give it a spin or two, you will not be disappointed.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!