• Finally got to see Robert Plant live last tuesday night,I wasn't dissapointed. Although his voice lacks some of the upper register from days of old,his vocals still had power, resonance and all round quality in bucketloads. In my opinion he is still the master of timing. No fewer than 8 Zep songs were played the last of which being a monstrous whole lotta love. Glenn, Paul Rodgers and Robert Plant, the top three of all time? What do you guys think.

• I agree however, don't forget about IAN GILLAN and DAVID COVERDALE. Gillan for his take the paint off the walls pitch and Coverdale for his variations from high pitch to just above crooning.Just my opinion!:claphands :bow:

• I agree IG and DC would always get in my top ten. Here's five more names to think about to complete the ten. Steve Tyler,Ronnie James Dio, Ann Wilson, Roger Daltrey,Steve Marriot. p.s has anyone heard of a guy called Bobby Martin, he playedwith Zappa in the eighties. I've got a Zappa dvd with himsinging `whippin' post' by the Allmans. Now thats some serious vocalizing,would love to know what he's up to now.

• Gillan, Coverdale, Dio for sure. but Im also a huge fan of Tony Martin. His years with Sabbath are hugely overshadowed by the Ozzy and Dio era. Still he made no less than 5 studio albums with Sabbath and they are simply amazing.

• All these choices are great, but I want to add Bernie Shaw to the mix (Uriah Heep). Not only does he just blow me away with live Heep, he does a rendition of "Fear of the Dark" on '666: A Tribute to Iron Maiden' that sends chills up my spine.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Quote from steveh

p.s has anyone heard of a guy called Bobby Martin, he playedwith Zappa in the eighties. I've got a Zappa dvd with himsinging `whippin' post' by the Allmans. Now thats some serious vocalizing,would love to know what he's up to now.

Steve, great mentioning Bobby Martin :thumbup:

An amazing vocalist and musician indeed! :bow:

He also has an amazing biography. His parents were opera singers, and he received classical training from a very early age.

Turned to sports in high school an became a track and field athelete (as far as I remember!?).
    Instead of dedicating his life to sports completely, he turned to music again and played french horn in various orchestras before he decided to become a rock musician - who doesn't want to become a rock musician?

Became Zappa's No.1 choice on piano, saxophone, French Horn and vocals (mostly harmony, especially falsetto parts were his trademark) around 1980 and stayed in the band until 1988. That's one of the longest runs for a Zappa band member!

Can be seen/heard on the following Videos/DVDs: Does Humor Belong in Music (1983), The Torture Never Stops (1981) and in some parts of The Dub Room Special.

I once raed that he was married to Cybill Shepherd, but that doesn't seem to be true.

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Thanks for the info Christian, Zappa had a gift for finding and recruiting musicians with extraordinary talent. The drummers alone make the mind boggle.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!