More Press - FUSED

• For those of you in Japan - you should check out the latest edition of BURRN! Magazine where GLENN and Tony Iommi are interviewed by Valerie Potter. Apparently Fused gets a glowing review too.

And for those in Europe, the Iommi/Hughes partnership adorns the cover of Dutch published, Headache Magazine, plus the latest issue of Aardschok, also contains an interview with the guys by Gerd Jan Vleugels.

• Black Sabbath veterans are "Fused" for Ozzfest

BY MARK VOGER
    STAFF WRITER
    Asbury Park Press

It's a strange thing how Tony Iommi keeps having bitter breakups with Black Sabbath singers — followed decades later by happy reunions.

Iommi is the founding guitarist for Black Sabbath, and the only member to participate in every lineup since the band formed in drizzly Birmingham, England, 37 years ago. (Black Sabbath is headlining the Ozzfest 2005 tour set to land in Holmdel this week.)

Founding Sabbath singer Ozzy Osbourne - the namesake of the tour - was booted out of Sabbath in 1979 after a stormy period of band infighting and substance abuse. Today, Iommi and Osbourne are reunited in Sabbath.

History recently repeated itself for Iommi, with likewise happy results.

In 1989, singer/bassist Glenn Hughes (Trapeze, Deep Purple) joined Black Sabbath for a one-album hitch. Hughes, who is now clean and sober, admits he was hardly on his best behavior at the time.

Now, like Iommi and Osbourne before them, Iommi and Hughes have let bygones be bygones. Hughes is singing for Iommi's solo band; their second album together, Fused (Sanctuary), is out this month.

"I got in touch with Glenn and we decided to get together and let's see how we get on," Iommi says from England.

"He came over and we just started writing again. It all clicked in very, very quick. We got a drummer (Kenny Aronoff), just to jam along with us. We just started writing, and it felt really good.

"The excitement was ridiculous. We were like a couple of kids. We really got a thrill from what we were doin'. We really appreciate what we've got and the chance of being able to write together again."

On Fused, Iommi and company played their parts with few overdubs or digital tricks.

"We wanted to capture it live and all play together," Iommi says. "It enabled us to play in the studio live, which was good fun. Particularly on the last track (I Go Insane), which is quite a long track. Playing that live was really a test because if you make a mistake in it, you've gotta do it all again.

"So I think it kept us all on our toes."

Iommi considered pulling double-duty at Ozzfest 2005; that is, playing two sets per show, one with Sabbath and one with Hughes.

"We did actually think of that first," Iommi says with a laugh. "But it's probably a bit strange to go on before ourselves, if you know what I mean - to go on with Glenn and then go on with Sabbath. I think on this occasion, we thought it best just to do it with the Sabbath lineup. But certainly, in future, I'd love to do some (live) stuff with Glenn."

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/…220333/1031/ENT

• Yes, but glennhughes.com is listed in the Fused inlay booklet though, so we can't complain really. Botton line is, this is a Tony Iommi SOLO album. It's not Iommi / Hughes, it's not Black Sabbath with Glenn on vocals, it's IOMMI. So the fact Glenn has been pictured with Tony in some interviews, has his website on the booklet and his name on the cover are all major bonuses in my book. Anybody remember what happened with the Alchemist?

JG

• Quote from James Gaden

Yes, but glennhughes.com is listed in the Fused inlay booklet though,
    so we can't complain really.

I was making a comment about this particular ad (advert).
    And for them not to include GH's web sites next to the other two
    ~ you betcha' I'm gonna complain, James :mad:

Botton line is, this is a Tony Iommi SOLO album.

Nope. It isn't.
    And not just because I'm a GHCP.
    A Tony Iommi solo album would be 10 instrumental songs,
    with a backing band of qualified session musicians.

It's not Iommi / Hughes,

So far, this is as close as you've come to winning a cigar.
    If one wanted TO BE FAIR, it would be: Iommi/Hughes/Arnoff
    It's not like you are dealing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
    There are only three people here. Each is responsible for 1/3
    of the sound coming out of the speakers. If Mr. Arnoff is good
    enough to be 1/3 of the sound, his name belonged on the
    "Fused" album cover, too.

I wonder how he felt when HE first saw the cover of "Fused?"
    He probably said to himself: "What am I, the invisible man?"

So the fact Glenn has been pictured with Tony in some interviews,
    has his website on the booklet and his name on the cover
    are all major bonuses in my book.
    Anybody remember what happened with the Alchemist?

SOME GH publicity compared to NO GH publicity.
    Nope, that's no major bonus in my book.
    You should get back what you put in.

But I still love 'ya, James :)

axmuremoticon.gif

• I have to respectfully disagree there Grace. It's Iommi's album, depsite Glenn contributing. That does not make it a division of labour, nor does it make it a band project. Kenny and Glenn are present on there because they are exactly what you mentioned - session musicians.

The fact that Glenn wrote lyrics and played bass is neither here nor there. That's what he was hired to do, by Tony. That's why Glenn did three sets of vocals for Tony to pick what was best. It was Tony's call because it's Tony's album. If it was a fair division of work surely Glenn would have decided and wahey, we have a new power trio.

We know Iommi isn't a lyric writer. Yet check out Sabbath's "Eternal Idol" CD - it says all songs written by Tony Iommi. I'd bet my CD collection that Tony Martin was the man who put words to the riffs - he was brought in to do a job. There's no credit for whatever reason. Glenn isn't credited to any of the "Burn" album that I know he wrote on for contractual reasons. "Seventh Star" isn't a Sabbath album, it's an Iommi solo album. It had it's name changed to Sabbath to sell. It's what is best for marketing. Glenn was the hired voice, he was never meant to be a Sabbath vocalist. Glenn is not credited as to contributing anything to the writing of "Seventh Star" but I'm betting he did. That's the way of the business.

Glenn's name made the cover because he's a vocal legend and it's an extra push for Iommi, because people like me and quite possibly you will buy it for Glenn, not for Tony. Iommi and his management have called the shots right the way down the line, because like it or not, Iommi's name sells in bigger quantities than Glenn's in the rock circles. Put both together and now we got a stew going. But it's still Tony's CD. The sounds alone tells you that.

It's Iommi's management who rationed what samples of the CD were available online, and who got promos. The only reason "Fused" is in Fireworks this month is because I said I'd cover it because I had it. I love Glenn and I think Tony's ok, which is why I bought this album but not the previous Iommi solo CD. To be honest I'm delighted Glenn is getting publicity from this, but the bottom line is, he will have to make way for Tony because that's who's album it is. Not a band, not Sabbath, an Iommi solo CD.

JG

• I'm afraid James is right. And while there have been the odd magazine interview or two that feature both Glenn and Tony, the two nationally broadcast clips that David put links up for both feature...wait for it...Tony Iommi. And let's not forget that huge blue logo in the middle of the "Fused" album cover, the one that says IOMMI. Glenn's name is on the cover with Tony's because they are longtime friends, and GH cowrote the songs. It's a partnership, sure, but not an even split like HTP was. It's weighted about 60/40 in Tony's favour, at least. I don't think Kenny Aronoff's name should be on the cover. If it was a trio called "HIA" or "IHA", sure. But he was just the drummer - he didn't write the songs, and he's not doing the promotion for the album. And that's why Jimmy Copley's name wasn't on the "DEP Sessions" cover, either.

I think Glenn's being treated fairly, and I'm happy to find a new Glenn Hughes-related album at my local Best Buy, Borders, etc for a change.

Cheers...Todd

• im afraid i have to agree with james on this one -i remember ozzy bitching about the old days and how iommi likes to control everything - but i appreciate your loyalty grace - but like christian said in another thread i believe all the songs on FUSED have been "glenned" :singer: - its also nice to see grace busting somebody elses balls for a change (not just mine) :D

• Right on Todd! Eternal Idol.....I will bet all of my XM RADIO stock that the late GREAT Ray Gillen contributed on a LOT of that GREAT album ;)

• OK, OK, all of you evil people.....the majority rules.

I thought that somebody from a desert island, who wouldn't
    know Mssrs. Iommi or Hughes from a bowl of macaroni, would
    listen to this CD and normally hear the singer first and then
    hear the guitar and drums.

What I was trying to get across was that somebody, not
    knowing anything of power politics, or name recognition value,
    or the combined gross income of Black Sabbath over the years,
    would listen to "Fused" and say "Snappy drumwork, incredibly
    fantastic guitar work......but who is that guy singing?"

PS......Nobody respects us poor ax murderers anymore.

:(

axmuremoticon.gif

• I also agree with James- but I think Tony really did his friend Glenn well on this album... For a guitar player's solo album- what do we hear -3 maybe four solos? And most of the solos are quite "quaint" with the exception of "I Go Insane". Of course Glenn is my all-time favorite musician/vocalist, but I am a huge fan of Tony Iommi's guitar playing and I could have stood more- longer Iommi solo's. But I think that "Fused" ended up as a really nice show case for Glenn's rock vocals- and I'm guessing that it was by Tony's choice. Glenn's melodies are stellar (as usual)- he did not just come up with the words you know! Tony is the riff master- and Glenn is a natural when it comes to laying down the words and melodies. And for some reason the "fusion" between these two musicians comes off magical. And I can't help but being tickled to hear an Iommi album with such a positive words and notions... our Glenn... the guy who put the funk in Purple, and Grace in Black!

• Cheers Mark!

Its gonna be even better live :)

so light a candle in the window.......
    i will be coming home tonite

• Quote from Mark Hoffman

......our Glenn......the guy who put the funk in Purple, and Grace in Black!

GLENN HUGHES.........
    The guy who put the funk in Purple,
    and Grace in black.

I totally love this quote, Mark.
    Maybe Glenn should use it for future advertisements.

By the way, I look equally lovely......
    whether wearing purple.....OR.....black :lol:

axmuremoticon.gif

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!