Glenn at Arrow Classic

• Hi,
    I´m back at home after a great Rockfestival in Lichtenvoorde, Netherlands. Saw the Funkmeister together with Chad Smith (what a great drummer) playing the following songs: Stormbringer, Soul Mover, Orion, Mistreated (including a part of You Fool No One), Getting Tighter, Burn, a song I didn´t know and Might Just Take Your Life. The performance was great, everyone was in a good mood. The audience gave the band a very warm welcome. I did not see any problems with Glenn knees, he moved perfectly.

The bridge between Burn and MJTYL did not work out well and Chad threw out his drum kit like old Keith Moon at the end of the set. Looking forward for reviews from the Zoetermeer show.

Glenn, why did you play so much Purple-songs ? You have enough good songs from you solo era and I think your reputation has increased a lot in the last years. Nevertheless, a very good concert. Can not wait to see you with Tony Iommi.

• Hi Angel - welcome aboard and thanks for your very first post :)

Great review.....as for the setlist, no doubt due to the "Classic Rock" nature of the festival, the Purple heavy set was probably more appropriate. Tomorrow's night's gig in Zoetermeer will more than likely be in-line with the recent Soul Mover tour with a few extras thrown in :cool:

Thanks again, pleased to hear you had a great time and the journey was well worth the effort.

• The song you did not no was Higher Ground. original from Stevie Wonder and covered by Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the album Mother's Milk. But it was great only there was a bad version of Burn. And indeed a great mood and a satisfied croud. I personally missed Stranger to love.

Mayby there gonna be tonight a better version of Burn.

• sounds like a great time !!!!! remember you got to see glenn play with chad cant wait to hear about tonights show:thumbup:

• Hi David and all other GHCP,
    David, do you have any Glenn version of Higher Ground you could put on the jukebox?
    Keep up the great work. Thanks!
    Mark:cool:

• Yesterday i saw Glenn at the Arrow Classic Rock festival. This kind of forum must accept bad reviews as good reviews.

I saw Glenn perhaps 30 times ( a lot of great shows and some bad shows due to illness or technical difficulties ) but yesterday it was something else.

The set list was different, only two songs from Soul Mover and nothing else from his solo career. And always the same old Deep Purple songs.... Great surprise Higher Ground from Stevie Wonder!

Glenn was in good mood and in great shape. But the band was completely wrong. Chad Smith plays very well but it was like it was the first time he plays with the band. Burn was horrible ! At the end of Mistreated all the band was lost, nobody knows when it was the time to end the song.

The sound was too loud and not clear ( later i saw Lou Gramm with a perfect sound).

At the end of the show Chad Smith destroy his drum kit, very spinal tap and ridiculous!

One thing to explain this, there was no rehearsal for this show! But when you know that you will play at a festival, in front of a big crowd, you have no excuse.

Perhaps my review will hurt some of you, but it is what i think now and i want to say the truth.

• martial - sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the performance.....everyone has a bad day, and perhaps one was had yesterday. Hopefully this evening's performance in Zoetermeer will make up for it and perhaps you're going there too? But cool to hear that Higher Ground was played....as requested, right here on the Fan Forum a month or so ago - thanks to Chad for getting that into the setlist :thumbup:

mark - no, not yet ;)

• I remember Glenn saying a few months ago that is was time to drop the B- projects, I think that was the phrase he used.

Just makes me wonder what was the piont of doing these two shows, $ I guess, which is OK but sometimes I think it confuses fans. Is this is a retro arist ? or someone forging a solo career, which it has to be agreed, the latter is in the ascendency and I wonder if these type of shows actually helps this process.

:huh:

• Hi guys,

Quick response here on some of the posts I read above, maybe it helps answering some questions. It was for contractual reasons that Glenn played the Purple songs. After all this was a rock festival where most people never saw Glenn before. Secondly, it was a great happening, and Glenn got his name out to about 7 thousand people in and around the tent! The vibes where great on and off stage, so I don't want to read anything about a bad day ;) On top of that, fact that it started to rain turned out in favour of Glenn, because a lot of people wanted to look for shelter in the tent, and were treated on an unexpected surprise! Yeah! The guys just deserve a huge feather up there arses. They didn't even have a chance to rehearse Higher Ground: it was played at Arrow for the very first time. This was a weekend after which anybody with any sympathy for Glenn and/or his music should have nuthin' but a good feeling. Now let's see, what icon fits with that...
    :guitarist:claphands:1:

peace!

- Fedor

• Dear Fedor,
    why don't you want to hear more about a bad show ?
    If i though it was a bad show, it is possible for me to say that on this kind of forum. Right ? Or only positive ideas are allowed ?
    Higher ground was great but what about the end of mistreated and the horrible burn as i said here above? It was not the first time they played those songs !
    In front of a big crowd of people who have never seen Glenn before, playing new songs or songs from his solo career was a better idea. So he will be known for his actual and future position in the music history. Glenn said himself that his career is in front of him and not in the seventies.
    Best regards.
    Peace.

The show in Zoetermeer seems to have been a great show!

• Hi Martial,

Please don't get me wrong - I feel all opinions and interpretations are always welcome. If the show was bad for you that's fine. I thought I read somewhere that the guys had a "bad day" and I wanted to correct that because the guys had a helluva weekend. And yes you are right about Burn. Reason is that JJ changed to another guitar during the song, to find out it wasn't quite well tuned...

cheers!

- Fedor

• Sorry to disappoint anyone attending the festival...we did not rehearse and for that i apologize..it was my fault.

I was out of the country. Also at these shows there is no soundcheck for the band, making it harder to achieve a good sound out front.
    the show was a "classic rock" show..hence the selection of songs.
    But let me say we rocked out as hard as we could and had a great time and i thought had more energy than any of those other bands. Rock and roll is not suppose to be perfect. When you take chances its exciting..sometimes it works,other times ????? but thats what live music to me is all about..or might as well stay home and put in the c.d. Even when glenn plays older material(which doesn't suck) he interperts it differently and keeps it fresh.
    I hope Martial you came to the next show and you would understand what i'm talkin about.
    i want to thank everyone who came, and for supporting Glenn and live music :claphands

• Hey "soulmover",
    Has anybody ever told you how much we GHCPs appreciate
    your postings here; giving us an inside look into the music that
    you create, especially with Glenn?

I for one, am really glad that you've never read the book:
    "How to be a real jerk while being an annoying Rock Star."
    (Luckily, Glenn hasn't read that book either.)

I'm a firm believer in that "what goes around, comes around"
    and I'm sure that your friendship with GH has added to your life,
    both musically, and more importantly - personally.

So when he has the knee surgery, are you gonna' visit him
    in the hospital, or at home, and try to teach him how to dance
    a polka? :lol:

(Martial law...........good one.)

Take care, and thanks for being a good friend to our boy........

:guitarist :drummer:
    Grace

axmuremoticon.gif

• You"ll be happy to know on the new fused record there is a song called...you guessed it.."Grace"
    one of the better ones too i might add.
    Thanks for the kind words..i know alot of guys that must've read that book! i like fiction better anyway.ha
    We just had a great weekend together and what a great crew he has as well. Great to catch up with j.j. too. it has been over a year since we played together.
    shell was a joy too..great player and cool guy.
    oh, great review in the new modern drummer mag on soulmover 4 and a half stars!
    i'll help him with his new dance moves i guess?
    He's the best >>but you already know that.

• Hi, soulmover

thanks a lot for your honest reaction, i really appreciate.
    i'm sure you had a great rocking time on stage at Arrow Fest.
    I think i have missed a great show sunday in Zoetermeer.
    Ten years ago, me and my wife, we followed Glenn on tour. But now we have both a job and two children, it's difficult for us to see more than one show on the same tour.
    Anyway thanks to help musically our Big Daddy !
    Good luck with the Peppers

Martial

• Together with two sons (14+19) I went to the Arrow festival.

Main reason to go was to see Glenn, Kansas and Styx.

My sons still talk about Glenn's performance (vocals and bass).
    We stood the whole concert front row and my eldest son was waving with a light blue Play Me Out t-shirt

I've seen better shows by Glenn, but wasn't disapponted at all.
    Without doubt you could see how much fun they had on stage.
    There were some difficulties (guitar and last 2 songs too loud) but still great to see Glenn rock and funk.

:claphands :claphands :claphands

I'm a fan since the early seventies.
    I like songs that are streched till forever, but I think that some songs could've been a bit shorter at this festival.
    So some other songs could've been played (for instance Can't stop the flood and First Step Of Love).

A lot of fans could've been won.

For personnal reasons I was unable to go to Zoetermeer....

But I hope Glenn will soon return to Holland.

Thanx for a great day

• Quote from soulmover

We just had a great weekend together and what a great crew he has as well.

THANK YOU!!!!

Pascal

• martial i can understand were your coming from on this and iv never seen glenn but i have to say i sort a figured already if chad hadnt played with glenn for awhile it might be alittle choppy and somebody might complain seeing you on here awhile i know you know about music i think that we all put our favorites on a higher plane and expect and want perfection when we get to see them but i have to say that we all have to remember that these guys are all human beings too

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!