New Foreigner Lineup

• This band is really nothing more than an all star tribute band now featuring Mick Jones and Jason Bonham and Jeff Pilson and Kelly Hanson on vocals. However, Hanson kicks ass!!! Listen to these samples:

http://www.wma.com/announcement29/

I don't think Lou Gramm ever fully recovered from his tumour.....I was pretty disappointed with him in Aug 2000. As good as this sounds, I think Foreigner should have been put to rest.

John

• I saw Foreigner (with Lou Gramm, Mick Jones and Denny Carmassi among others) in the summer of 2002 perform before a wild crowd of mid-westerners in Fort Wayne, Indiana USA and they rocked the house (a huge party tent actually) down, excellent show with an excellent Lou

Lou can also be heard on 3 tracks of an excellent new CD by his pre-Foreigner BLACK SHEEP bandmate DON MANCUSO. The CD is called D : Drive

http://www.fiestaproductions.com/donmancuso/

Lou & Don and some of his brothers will, just like Glenn, perform at the Dutch ARROW CLASSIC ROCK FESTIVAL this month.

http://www.arrowclassicrockfestival.nl/

Ciao

• I think Lou was hit and miss depending on what night you caught him. I've seen reports of bad shows, like the one I saw, but I've also seen reports where he sounded ok. The night I saw him it was quite strange, he was like Coverdale at that 2000 Radio show with Glenn....hitting the notes on hard rock songs like Hot Blooded but all gravelly with no quality. Then during the ballads such as Waiting for You and I WTKWhatLove Is....he was crystal clear, which led me to think there was a DAT tape somewhere.

John

• Wow! Hansen does do a great job- Looks like Foriegner has found a great sound-a-like replacement just as Journey has in Steve Augeri. I wish them well and a successful tour. I've only seen Foriegner once way back in the day 76? with Ted Nugent and Frank Marino- needless to say, I was much more impressed with Frank and Ted, I was a huge fan of those guys (and still am..)

• Funny thing about bands, as members move on and are replaced - sometimes they're still seen as the band they've always been, other times you get a feeling they're nothing but a cover band or a tribute to what they once were. I suppose, for me, it depends on whether or not a group is still writing and recording. Some examples:

King Crimson - Robert Fripp is the only original member. But the band has always had a revolving cast of players. So is it still King Crimson? As long as Robert Fripp is there, yes.

Deep Purple - There's only one original member left, drummer Ian Paice. The most famous lineup of the band was actually Mk II, with Gillan and Glover involved. So is it still Deep Purple nowadays? Depends on who you ask, I suppose. For me the answer is a resounding YES! The band is still writing and recording new music, some of which is among their best.

Asia - Only one member, keyboardist Geoff Downes, is still in the band from the original lineup. Is it really Asia? I guess it is, but they don't excite me in the least these days...

Foghat - There's one original member left, as far as I know. The spirit of the band may be alive in the version of Foghat that's touring now, but it's not Foghat without Lonesome Dave and Rod Price.

Here are some others to think about, who have only one or two original members left. Are they the real deal?

Megadeth, Styx, Kiss, Iron Maiden, Journey...

And how about this - can you name a rock band that has sustained a 25-year career without a single member leaving or dying? I can think of U2, but I'm drawing a blank after that...

Cheers....Todd

• I was about to mention Purple, but Todd beat me to it. I feel sorry for Lou, but I think Kelly Hansen is a great choice and I hope this means Foreigner will get some gigs under their belt, get tight and record something new.

For me, the Kiss line up now is brilliant. Gene and Paul ARE Kiss in my book, and to have quality like Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer as oppose to workshy wasters like Criss and Frehley who do nothing but damage the band's live rep, I don't think you can go far wrong. You get all the live action of the make up era but none of the crap performaces from the spaced out twosome.

Rush have been together forever and never had a line up change, but other than that I'm struggling too.

JG

• James, I thought of Rush straight away, but Neil stepped in after the first album. Lou has done a few shows lately here in Rochester. like John say's, Hit or Miss. Great Guy!!!!!
    Mark
    Hope my spelling is OK:lol:

• Quote from toadsterama

Funny thing about bands, as members move on and are replaced - sometimes they're still seen as the band they've always been, other times you get a feeling they're nothing but a cover band or a tribute to what they once were. I suppose, for me, it depends on whether or not a group is still writing and recording.

Great thread! With Mick Jones still onboard and Mr. Hansen doing his best Foreigner job, I think its legit to call the band Foreigner. Or should they call in Ian McDonald?

King Crimson has always been a barinchild of Robert Fripp in many different incarnations, playing dofferent kinds of music, a very good example!

ASIA were John Wetton, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer - Steve Howe, originally of course. Pat Thrall was great. Dave Kilminster would have been. The original ASIA died when Wetton left.

THIN LIZZY - the best example for me. This has been discussed to a point, that it has even divided the fan base. I love the music, so I accept the Gorham/Sykes Lizzy as a Tribute act calling themselves Thin Lizzy. Still this is not Thin Lizzy. It's just a vehicle to attract a younger audience and to play those excellent songs! Thin Lizzy died January 4th, 1986.

getting a little more off topic....

Cheers,
    Christian

• And how about this - can you name a rock band that has sustained a 25-year career without a single member leaving or dying? I can think of U2, but I'm drawing a blank after that...

Cheers....Todd[/QUOTE]

ZZ Top

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!