Fused - Reviews

• I'm sure I'll be in minority on this one but this record SUCKS! One giant bore - the worst CD Tony ever did, even worse then MTV-packed crappy first solo album. Being a huge Sabbath and Hughes fan I was expecting a great record, instead we got a tuneless grungy/nu-metalish mess of mediocre poop. Not a single decent tune, not a single good solo (seems like Iommi tries to avoid them if possible these days). Not even a single great riff! Tony was probably listening too long that he was a main influence on all these 90's-00's musicians - so in the end he decided to copy 'em all. Dumbed down the melodies, reduced the solos to minimum and started to sound like everybody else. This is record of couple of old school rockers desperate for recognition among the young Ozzfest crowd. This is a record I'm going to trade next weekend and better forget about it.

P.S. The funniest thing is that Moscow vice-mayor Michael Men turned out a much better songwriter then Tony Iommi! Now that CD ("Made in Moscow" - Michael Men project feat. Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner) rocks, full of catchy tunes and interesting musicianship. Blows away the Fused disaster on every level :D

• Quote from REAL JOHN MCCOY

P.S. The funniest thing is that Moscow vice-mayor Michael Men turned out a much better songwriter then Tony Iommi! Now that CD ("Made in Moscow" - Michael Men project feat. Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner) rocks

Man, can I have some of what you're smokin'?

Well, this is what the forum is about....sharing opinions, and in this case, I can't agree with you one bit. But hey, I'm sure there's a record we both like out there :)

• david dont take any from him - whatever it is its way too strong!! :eek: but of course you are correct this is the place to state your opinoin- thats the way i see it though, you either like tony iommi's style or you dont - i say its pretty good for a guy with chopped off fingers

• David and Tony G, to get things straight - I'm a huge Sabbath fan, I like almost every album (even some songs on Forbidden). Tony's my N2 guitarist of all time after Ritchie. I just hate THIS record, both the sound and the songs. I also don't like his first solo album one bit. A perfect case of selling out to MTV :p

• thats cool john, you can like it or not like it , i like tony iommi too and sabbath but i have to disagree with you on this - even though i feel that glenn might have did the vocals differently if given more control - i truly love every one of these songs

• The DPAS Online describes 'Fused' as:

The brand new GLENN HUGHES / TONY IOMMI studio CD. Very much in the Seventh Star Sabbath album style, with Glenn putting in a sterling performance throughout. Blisteringly heavy stuff. CD is shipping now.

Is it just me, or does 'Fused' sound nothing like 'Seventh Star'? Methinks they need to give the album another spin or two.

Cheers....Todd

• Quote from toadsterama

The DPAS Online describes 'Fused'.....Very much in the Seventh Star Sabbath album style............

Is it just me, or does 'Fused' sound nothing like 'Seventh Star'?

Todd,
    Somebody ought to give the DPAS Online reviewer a dictionary,
    for 7th Star, so they can occasionally look up the word..........

BALLAD.

;)

axmuremoticon.gif

• The song, the album...anything. The 'Fused' album as a whole sounds nothing like the 'Seventh Star' album, despite the presence of the two most prominent contributors to each :huh: It's just a misleading review by a source who, more than anyone, should know better.

Todd

• It might even be a review "that was phoned in."

Let's see...............
    Tony Iommi, Glenn Hughes.
    OK, yeah.
    Two heavy metal heavies.
    Great guitar riffs and great rock singing.
    Heavy, man.

(End of review.)
    See what I mean, Todd?

:lol:

axmuremoticon.gif

• I especially like this review-

This record should be crap; Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi whacking out yet another solo effort using a couple of muso chums. But it isn't. Not by a long chalk.

That the record succeeds so magnificently isn't just down to the chief protagonist, although he churns out some pretty fine riffs on the album and the drumming of Kenny Aronoff hangs things together as well. No, the secret to the success of this truly great record is the vocal contribution throughout from Glenn Hughes, ex-Deep Purple bass player extraordinaire. The musicians have worked together before but things have never gelled as well as they do here. Opener Dopamine rocks like few other modern day metal tunes can, proving that Iommi has his creative finger pressed firmly on the right spot. And it just gets better with each song.

As noted, Hughes' singing has much to do with this being a great rock record. He was forever trying to put some funk into Deep Purple, a move which eventually contributed to Ritchie "God" Blackmore leaving the band. But here he is doing what he always could do; singing rock songs with a voice that has enormous range and power, while keeping the feeling intact, nowhere better than on Deep Inside A Shell and the wonderfully epic I Go Insane. A return to form for all concerned...

Released : 11th July 2005
    Label: Sanctuary

• Quote from Mark Hoffman

I especially like this review-

....................the secret to the success of this truly great record is the vocal contribution throughout from Glenn Hughes, ex-Deep Purple bass player extraordinaire
    .....................And it just gets better with each song.
    .....................As noted, Hughes' singing has much to do with this being a great rock record........

I love the way that GHCPs are secretly taking over the world,
    (well, record review publications anyway) and writing up the
    reviews for "Fused."

Mark - if you personally know who wrote this review,
    or if you wrote this yourself and snuck it into cyberspace....

GOOD REVIEW................GOOD JOB!!!!! ;)

axmuremoticon.gif

• This album seems best cut out for long car rides, like today I had it on during the ride to the Doors show in Antelope Valley. But other times, like when I'm going the short distance to a gig and I need a special song to get me going....the album is too dense for that. Strange. I've had some other more melodic new CD's the past few weeks to listen to and put Fused aside and then started to think I didn't like it. But it's just an album that demands attention, and it's best listened to all at once. It's not going to be an album I'm madly in love with and listening to every day every week but it's still great and glad to have it.

John

• :thumbup:

I think CD's got the point. I guess that's why I'm not that enthusiastic about Fused. There are some good moments there but Glenn doesn't belong to that dark and gruesome climate. I like him better in more light-hearted stuff.

It had to came to this if you are working with mr.Iommi, 7 star & DEP sessions were light compared to almost anything Iommi has done in the past. Still, love it, 7 star has been a favourite for 20 years, Fused will last 20 more. The Spell> fantastic.

Glenn does all styles superbly well. Even if he is making albums at a tremendous pace, I`m always anticipating the next album.

:claphands

• When I first heard Fused I didn't care that much for it, because I was not used to hearing de-tuned guitar, and at first the songs kind of sounded the same to me. Two listens later I was hanging on every word......"Grace" is my favorite song on it, one of my all time favorite songs. "Deep Inside a Shell..." is a great one, also.

This week my favorite GH song is "Feels Like Home" off of BTM...again....there are a few that are neck and neck. LOL
    Glenn is so good it's just ridiculous.

• I think Fused was one of the finer albums of 2005. Thought The Spell was one of my favourites. Loved that opening riff and even the chorus was catchy as hell. I Go Insane is exactly what the song implies. Dopamine, Deep Inside a Shell, What are you Living For and Wasted Again are the other favourites for me.

Which comes to the Bonus Tracks. Slip Away was pretty good, Let It Down Easy is what I think Iommi is simply doing. Making it sound like a Rock 'n' Roll song IMHO. But it's The Innocence that does it for me. I love to close the album with this song for the fact that Glenn's voice closing the song is just incredible. And I do think that sounds fitting to me.

• thanks for posting David. that was an entertaining video. a few thoughts while watching...
    1) i don't know who that dude is
    2)i thought i saw him looking at sheet music- i didn't think drummers used sheet music
    3) boy, i sure do wish that i could see a show with Glenn and Tony playing their music- i'd be riding the 7th star to 7th heaven
    peace,

• Because my timing sucks and I got sick of other musician's complaining about it (mostly drummers ) I do this crazy air drumming exercise at the gym and this is one of my favorites. It's also one of only two ballads I work out to. (the other is Whitesnake's All I want is You). (The drummers have mostly stopped complaining...now I'm kicking their asses-- slow the f**k down!!!!!!!! or Quit dragging!!!! )

John

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!