Chad Smith & Ian Paice

• Yeah, there's a little info here about the DVD. It includes Chad and Ian interviewed, both alone and together, techs getting into details of their respective drum rigs etc. Well worth picking up, if for no other reason than Chad's jokes, he has a wicked sense of humour :D When I've got more time, will put up a short snippet.

• We are playing again together this Sat. at the Performing arts center in Newark, New jersey as part of the modern drummer annual festival... And david your right..he's the Martin to my Lewis. Should be good fun if anyone is in the N.Y. area and can stand a long day of people banging things.

• Quote from Keith Thompson

Well according to Classic Rock you and Paicey were voted as in the top rock drummers of all time, soulmover :bow: (as if we didn''t know already). So that would be some tin hittin' party that's for sure! Now all I need is a cheap flight from Manchester to NY......

I know the feelin'. cheap flights are a myth, i dont actually believe they exist! I wrote cheques totalling over £2500 yesterday for a house for my third year at uni, and consequently, have no money for anything else! Its so depressing. The only thing i have to look forward to is the Meltdown festival, then its a summer of work, followed by a year writing more essays, and a dissertation of over 10000 words. why did i go to uni? why?:confused:
    Any UK drum clinics in the pipeline? like the ones with Steve White?

• Firstly,

A tip of the hat and all my best to Christmas Fairy on her continuing education.....I know how expensive it is and appreciate all your hard work. Be patient for it will all pay off!:thumbup:

I really wish I could head up to Newark for the Modern Drummer event....that would be an absolute blast! I hope that Chad and Ian do make a joyful noise together! Wonder if a certain bass playing singer might put in an appearance?? And I also wonder if a certain axe wielding woman will be there as well...it is right in her backyard;)

And as to the dearth of cheap airfares...that isn't a problem here in the States which is indicative of the problems with the airline industry....a soapbox topic that I will not make all of you here endure!

Newark or bust!!:cool:

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Quote from Keith Thompson

Awww Christmas fairy! when you get those quallies and you're earning bucks you'll be able to SPONSOR a drum clinic. Imagine - The Paice and Smith Drum Party sponsored by Christmas Fairy for a brrrrrrrighter futurrrrrrrre :clapper:

thank you for your words of encouragement! The work will pay off in the end, i hope! Im not sure that ill ever earn that much money to sponsor a drum clinic :( my degree will either lead to a postgraduate course, because im not sure what job i wanna do, or maybe into speech therapy, which kinda interests me, but i still have no idea! Maybe i should be a student my entire life, then i wouldnt have to decide! Anyway, must go, i have a lot of packing to do, im going back to hertford for the summer, and still have a 3500 essay to write! ARGH! When will it end?! :D Have fun, anyone who goes to New Jersey!

• Good luck with your education, christmas fairy.:thumbup:
    This will ensure that you'll have a high-paying job,
    and then you can spend the millions of Euros needed,
    to buy all of the Glenn Hughes' CDs that you want...........

Quote from captmidnite1962

I also wonder if a certain axe wielding woman will be there as well...
    .....it is right in her backyard.............Newark or bust!!

Nope.
    My ax and I won't be there.

I called up the Performing Arts Center in Newark, New Jersey.
    (1-888-466-5722, if anybody wants to call.........)
    The hours are 1:00 pm until 7:00 pm, Saturday and Sunday.
    There are four reasons why I can't go:

Reason Number 1 - $72.00
    Reason Number 2 - $64.00
    Reason Number 3 - $62.50 - yep, these numbers are correct.
    Reason Number 4 - No photographs permitted.

So with my apologies to anybody who's name I misspelled,
    here's the list of people that I can't afford to see on Saturday:
    Jason Bittner
    Rod Holmes
    Keith Carlock
    Chad Smith
    Ian Paice
    Danny Carey
    Volto

And I won't be able to see these people on Sunday:
    John Willis
    Chris Adler
    Joe Mayer
    Nerve
    Zorro
    Sheila E
    Alex Acuna
    Raoul Rekow
    Carl Perazzo
    Roy Hayes and his quartet

So I'll listen to my DP and Soul Mover music this week-end,
    while I sharpen a few things around the house........
    :hi5:

Grace

• Hmm Theresa....SOMEONE got a camera in there...must have been one of those cameras stealthily hidden in a bowtie! ;)

I would have made the trip but didn't know for sure that I had the whole weekend off untill Friday night... :mad:

And Grace, you are right..That is some hefty coin to be dropping! Even if it is in your backyard!! Actually, from where I am living, it is easier to take Amtrak up north than to drive, which is what I will do the next time I go back to NY for a visit.

And fear not...the DVD of Chad and Ian's performance will no doubt soon be available to jam out to in the comfort of your own home :thumbup:

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Sounds like it would've been fab too! Listen Christmas Fairy, keep an eye on the Manchester Drum Centre website for the clinics they have a few times a year. I went to the Gregg Bissonette and Zoro one last year and it was an inspiration to me. This probably won't mean anything to anyone outside the UK, but when I was there, I went over to talk to the guy who is the manager of the store and the guy standing next to him looked really familliar. Turned out it was John Thompson (Fast Show, Cold Feet, etc.)! Apparently he's a really good drummer, and buys all his gear from the shop! It was a very worthwhile night.

There was a big one in Newcastle recently that I didn't manage to make it to, but maybe next time.
    Perhaps you and I should go on these drum excursions together CF?!
    You can always come round and have a practice at my house!

• Yeah, Captain, I would have really loved to have gone there.
    The first record that I ever bought was "Walk Don't Run" by
    the Ventures......you heard the guitars, but it was the drumming
    that kept the thing together. And I've always loved instrumentals.

Maybe I would have been able to find someone to play a
    drum background to my brilliant version of "She Moves Ghostly."
    :lol:
    And maybe Chad Smith (who I understand is a close personal friend)
    could have made arrangements to get an autograph for me,
    of that famous GHCP........soulmover.

PS......I'm getting pretty good at doing the 495 & 95 shuffle,
    between Springfield, Virginia and Jersey. Maybe we should make
    arrangements for when you are in "A New York State of Mind."

The Ax Mur.......OOPS, I mean........Grace ;)

• very off topic, but maybe still of interest -

Purple Records have released a Live CD by the Pete York Percussion Band, called Extension 345.

It features a lengthy "drum battle" between Pete York and, yep, Ian Paice. Excellent! :drummer: :drummer:

And if you manage to track down a copy of the Tony Ashton/Jon Lord BBC Live in Concert CD (out of print) you can hear two drummers aswell (playing the whole gig!): Ian Paice and Carmine Appice. Nice one! :drummer: :drummer:

Cheers,
    Christian

• i have had this dvd for over a week now i am still getting a kick out of watching it.i am not a drummer(after watching this i never will be!!)but i tip my hat to guys like chad and ian totally brilliant to watch and i loved the chat in between it must be great to do the thing you love for a living.i recommened you all go out and get this as it is just amazing.

a question to soulmover? my 5 year old son got a small drum kit (how santa got it down the chimney i,ll never know!)as he likes banging about on things he seems keen but maybe it is just the noise factor just now!! anyway i was going to get a small set of hi-hats ,as a rule what side should they sit at(he is left handed). as i noticed the difference in set ups from your kit to ians

thanks

• Quote from musicman

a question to soulmover? my 5 year old son got a small drum kit (how santa got it down the chimney i,ll never know!)as he likes banging about on things he seems keen but maybe it is just the noise factor just now!! anyway i was going to get a small set of hi-hats ,as a rule what side should they sit at(he is left handed). as i noticed the difference in set ups from your kit to ians

thanks

Hello, I'm no soulmover but I pretend to be :lol:

anyways...

I could be wrong here but I think Ian's a lefty and Chad is righthanded and thats why the kit's are set up differently.

The hi-hat should be placed on his right side if he is a lefty. I myself am righthanded so the hi-hat is on my left.

Hope that helped.

And thanks for letting me know how good that DVD is, I'm definetely gonna try to pick that up soon as Chad and Ian are 2 of my 3 favorite drummers ever.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!