• What are you guys opinion on Thomas drumming on the current tour? I didn't really mind his playing on the night, but listening back to a recording of the Copenhagen gig he kinda overplays, and stops the flow of the band, if you know what I mean? This is just one opinion though. 

Wondering how Glenn would sound with Chad? Or a trio format with Tony Iommi and Kenny Aranoff? Quite a thought there...

JJ's playing is superb though!

Daniel

• I was impressed with him at the UK gigs I attended, as well as the last few tours he's been with Glenn. But I've read here and as you mention, he might have had some off nights, so I would say that's all it is, but you guys would know better since you saw him after the UK.

As for Chad, well he's as close to Bonham as you're 'gonna get with Glenn - they certainly have a chemistry going on when they play together, 'kinda like JJ and Glenn have had for a number of years - the kind you see and feel when watching them perform live. Haven't experienced Aranoff live yet, but he has a thunderous reputation, so look forward to that day, hopefully soon!!

If you don't have the DVD yet, you can always go to this page to watch some clips of Chad and Glenn in action last year in Orlando.

• He never fails to impress me whenever I've seen him with Glenn and HTP.

Haven't seen Chad yet, other than with the Chili Peppers, hopefully that will be rectified before the year's out ;) :D

• anyone can have an off day on the job i cant count the times i drove away from work thinking -"what the hell was wrong with me today?"

• ahhhh...c'mon guys leave him alone ...he's great.
    papa joe wouldnt keep asking him back if he didnt think so.
    plus, he's jj's fave too.
    i've probably had more off nights than on!

p.s. the nights in white satin song will be in the movie, and on the soundtrack of the film"Stealth". Comes out here in july.
    i think its glenns finest hour(or 5 minutes) unbelievable!

• Thanks Chad, I have seen 7 gigs on this tour and Thomas is fantastic, plus hes such a nice guy! Something which is very important in the buisness these days!!!
    And he and his wife are expecting their first child in the summer so GOOD LUCK THOMAS!!!!!!!

• Thomas is a fantastic drummer. Very powerful. Ive seen him quite a few times now and he has been top notch every time.

It will be interesting to hear if his studio sound on Planet Marsh is just as powerful.
    He also has a different style to Chad who to me comes across as a funky Ian Paice style rather than Thomas's heavier Cozy Powell "thump".
    But what do i know :p

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Quote from wolfysmith

Chad who to me comes across as a funky Ian Paice style
    rather than Thomas's heavier Cozy Powell "thump".

Nobody likes to be pigeonholed, but if pushed to compare it with somebdy else's style, I wonder how soulmover would describe CS's style of drumming?

But what do i know :p

After reading your posts, Paul, you know a lot more than me.

axmuremoticon.gif

• I like Broman's work myself. Of course, I can only judge from the live clips I've heard the "Freak Flag" CD, and of course, his playing on John Norum's modern-day classic, "Slipped Into Tomorrow".

Broman has chops, and maybe sometimes, (in the heat of the moment I'm sure_, he might let a roll or fill slip through that is played less for the song and more for how cool he thinks it might sound, but all in all I think he's a solid enough drummer to share the stage with musicians of Glenn and JJ's stature.

-Marc

• Nice to see I´ve got my own thread here!

To perhaps answer your question (DanielB). I remember the Copenhagen gig, it was the the last gig off four in a row. I was feeling real shit that night, and I mean really shit. How I played that night I can´t remember I was basically just glad I survived.

You´re propably right when you say my drumming was a bit dodgy. If i´d listened to the recording I would propably have thought the same as you.

Drumming is very physical and if you don´t feel good physically it´s hard work I tell you, but you can only do your best.

On tours that goes on for two months straight you will always feel bad on some nights, that´s not being unprofessional, that´s just the nature of it.

Otherwise I think the playing got better and better as the tour went on, can´t say I´m completely satisfied though, but then again you never are really.

Some nights it can be like this:sint3: and it´s always gonna be like that.

We all had bad nights on the tour that goes for Glenn, JJ and Kjell as well, but I tell you we had some great ones as well. Sorry you missed that.

Thanks Soulmover by the way, I guess you understand what it´s like doing long tours more than anyone :thumbup:

I also wanna thank all the nice people I met on the tour......well you know who you are :hi2:

Cheers

Tom

• Well darn, I'm late to this conversation...because I've been working my bloody hands to death on Doors tunes, as I've recently become a sub playing bass and keyboards (like Ray) for the Peace Frog Doors tribute band. I must say I'm a huge Tomas Broman fan. He's a great drummer and a great person. Of course Slipped into Tomorrow was an early introduction but I was really blown away by his energy and how he really gets into the music last year during the two HTP gigs I saw. We all have our gigs where we don't play well for whatever reasons. I'm just hoping my frickin hands hold up Sunday for two more hours of Doors music after playing for 7 hours today. I feel good,Yeeha!

John

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!