JJ's getting better and better

• Hi all!

Last week I bought the new solo album from Tomas Bodin who is the keyboard player of the fantastic swedish group FLOWER KINGS!

It's his third solo album and JJ Marsh is playing the guitars on 7 tracks!

We all could/can keep an eye on his development as a really great guitar player - the HTP 2 was his last highlight!

On the Bodin album he has reached a new level! Check it out!!!!

All the best Michael

• I totally agree. Haven't heard that album you mention yet, but I would love to, if I find it (Russia, you know...).
    I have been an admirer of JJ Marsh's writing and performing capablities since the day I heard Blue Jade off Addiction; Glenn's later albums only made me hold my breath in astonishment, and when I saw JJ live here in Moscow, I was completely hooked!
    As many of you can guess now, I am a Pat Thrall fan - N# 1 fan in Russia, at least... But there are a few guitarists I enjoy equally, and JJ is at the top of the list (unnumbered list, that is ). I would say that he is the only guitar player that can stay beside Glenn forever. They make a perfect writing/performing team, with their versatility and inborn talent.
    I also thought George Nastos was great, but I haven't heard about him for quite a long time... Do you know anything about his current whereabouts?

• Couldn't agree with you more re JJ (see my HTP 2 review).

As for George Nastos, coincidentally, he is going to be performing a LIVE acoustic set with GLENN, this very weekend, during the SAILAWAY WITH GLENN cruise. Last we heard, he was working on a solo album...hopefully more news will follow soon, as to what he's been up to recently

• Got to get HTP 2. Everyone says the guys outdid themselves. BTW, was it Joe responible for the majority of the lyrics again or did Glenn contribute more?
    I think that if I could compare JJ to anyone, that beside Thrall (solely because of versatility, JJ has got a sound that can match what Pat played note for note, but overall they're different) that would be Steve Morse (fluid beauty), David Gilmour (majestic, spacey, soulful)...
    JJ is as much a guitar chameleon as Dougie White, Glenn and JLT are vocal chameleons.
    What about JJ's own projects? Is there a chance there's a record to which he contributes lead vocals as well? Would be interesting to hear.

• The HTP II interview Joe did reveals that he contributed a chunk of lyrics and Glenn and JJ the music, although there are three tracks Glenn wrote by himself.
    Don't worry FD, as a Joe fan myself when the album started I thought Joe might get pushed into the background but that's not the case. It makes him pull out more stops when he does step up to the mike. "Alone I Breathe" is a great example - Glenn bellows those three words at the end of the first chorus and I thought "How will Joe match that!?!" In my opinion, when it's Joe's turn, HE tops GLENN!

Any way you slice it, I think HTP II is superb. Classic Rock gave it three stars so that's proof enough for me.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

• Just a quick update re George Nastos - he is indeed working on his debut solo album, which he plans to release next year. He hopes to assemble an all-star crew to join him on certain songs - so that's one I'll be looking forward to.

Currently, aside from session work, he is working with 80's teeny-bopper sensation, Tiffany, both studio and live. Her new material has some rock overtones and not at all like what she became famous for, so I'm told.

Anyway, he's definitely keeping busy and looks forward to working with Glenn again real soon. And since this topic was originally about JJ - George is a huge admirer of his playing and would relish the chance to get together sometime.

I'll be catching up with George again in the not too distant future for an interview and possibly an appearance during one of the Monthly CHAT sessions.

• Thanks, guys. I think that I will enjoy even Tiffany if George's on it - after all, I started liking that Beyonce. Poor me. What if Thrall produces Linkin Park?!
    As for Bodin - good news for me, Soyuz (a major Russian record company) have it licenced as I heard, so I may find a nicely packaged copy at an affordable 'special for Russia' edition price. Who knows, it may be the best option to get after HTP2 is released here. I don't want a badly pirated disk, I want a great licenced copy, but it takes some patience.
    As for JLT - my friend bought Brazen Abbot (the latest one, 'Guilty as Sin') for me, and I have heard one track, the opening one. JLT's vocals are simply great, even better than on 'JLT'. He's grown into a real mature true hard-hitting rock singer! While he's always been, he was just a little bit different - you see what I mean, James, don't you?

• I certainly do FD. It's like Coverdale - you listen to how he was on the Purple albums and his two solo albums, the check out the hard hitting rock power of the stuff on "1987", and if you heard nothing inbetween you'd struggle to tell it's the same guy.

Joe always had a good voice, but listen to Fandango, then listen to his voice on "Heaven And Earth" by Stuart Smith, or "Back In Black" from the AC/DC tribute. Spot the difference!

A classic example is Joe singing "Lost In Hollywood". I have him singing it on a Rainbow bootleg and he does it well but he hasn't got the raw aggression of Graham. Then listen to the version on "Undercover 2" and Joe brings that rasp, that nasty tone to it, and things change considerably!

JG

• Hi James,
    I guess you know I love Fandango prolly best out of everything Joe's done - because of the simple truth he almost never returned to that music style, and that what makes Fandango unique, to me - I guess that everyone who's interested can read a review of Fandango compilation there on my site (self-promotion, I know, a very bad thing to do! ) But there's something I love about Joe specifically irregardless of the style he's working in - the same goes for Glenn - versatility is the key. Genuine professionalism and an ability to adapt oneself extremely well to the current environment. You still remember the ads, don't you? )
    I guess it's true for JJ as well, I wouldn't have been in such an awe about him, hadn't he proved himself so diverse.
    BTW, have you received my mail? Just checking - that mail server of mine will bring me down someday (if it does not go down before )

• Hey FD,

Yep, I got your mail and I've started writing the reply, but I've been so busy recently.....two Glenn shows to take in (check out the pictures for Bradford and Dudley!) and getting caught up with everything I missed over that weekend, and I'm away again for another concert shortly. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten you!

Talk to you soon
    JG

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!