Tommy Bolin's Private Eyes

• Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the site (i haven't seen it anywhere).

In this month's edition of Classic Rock magazine, Tommy's album Private Eyes is given a full page review under the heading "Every Home Should Own One". It's nice to see he is still being recognised for the star he was all these years later.

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Cheers Wolfy, I haven't seen that article and will look it up to see what they say. Marginally I prefer Teaser because of its diversity, but the guitar work particularly on Post Toastee and Shake the Devil is incredible. Those acoustic runs on Gypsy Soul wow!! Maybe the good peeps on http://www.tbolin.com would welcome the news too.

One thing about Tommy songs, which is not often discussed, is the autobiography within the lyrics. Clearly he had problems during and after Purple. Sometimes you can hear the cries for help. While this is sad (considering what eventually happened to him) it also adds another underrated dimension to the man and the music ie his ability to put his own personal experiences down in words in a highly emotional way.

While Classic Rock have been a bit ridiculous when analysing Glenn in the past, I have to agree with this headline on this occasion that "Every Home Should have One"

People People if you don't have the Bolin back catalogue get Teaser and Private Eyes and stick them next to Hendrix. That's an order! :thumbup:

• i actually prefer the teaser album but i think Tommy's best work has actually come out on all the archives material that the T.B. Foundation have released. There are better versions of Wild Dogs and Teaser on that stuff as Tommy seems more relaxed and free in his playing as they are basically workout rehearsals of the finished songs.

By the way Keith, the Hughes/Thrall album was the first album to be chosen by the magazine as "Every home should own one".

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Yes I have Archives Volume 1 and the approach is certainly more raw on here. I like some of the never released demo stuff like "Meaning of Love and" "Step Back Jack" Forgive me if the titles are slightly wrong. Someone from highway star also sent me tape of the smokey jam sessions Tommy used to do in hotels when he was touring with Purple. Again your point about his guitar playing being more free and easy comes to the fore here. I still prefer the "Teaser" and "Private Eyes" albums as packages having said all that. That guy on the backing track for "Dreamer" sounds familiar - just can't place the voice :) I am just heading off into Smiths in Chester to have a look at said review.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!