• Beginning in 1994 and working closely with Glenn, UK based Merseysiders, Karen & Pete Allen created the Official GLENN HUGHES Fan Club and in 1995 published the first issue of the Fan Club Magazine, THE VOICE. With their kind permission, it's our great pleasure to present all 11 issues for you to enjoy once again.

http://bit.ly/TheVoiceFanClub

http://bit.ly/TheVoiceFanClub
  • Morjens Karen and Allen,
    ISO KIITOS!!! Huge Thank You!!!! I can't thank You enough- this is amazing stuff, can't believe that I'm reading these "old" magazines and Glenn's letters, You guys are GREAT!!! (this goes of course to David and Shirean too) It would be really nice to read how this all got started, how you got all those members, how you spread the word...since back in '94 I didn't know anything 'bout GH fan club!!!

Terveiset Suomesta,

T

• :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Well, what can I say!

Firstly, great job and thanks to David and Shirean for the kind words and for really doing justice to what we did with The Voice. Looking through those archive pages really did bring back some great memories and great times.

The Voice was genuinely real hard work, a slog at times, but being so close to Glenn really did balance all that out. Yeah, we we're lucky, we obviously made some kind of impression on Glenn the first time we met him (more likely Karen than me) and within a month he'd called us and visited our house in Merseyside to ask us to run his Fan Club world wide.

As the first issue says in the introduction we always answered letters sent to us (when a stamped envelope was included) or at least we tried to! There was a stage at the height of the club when this was almost impossible we were getting that many, so I have to believe we were doing something right because of all the responses. With us both working too it really was hard work. We were often up at 1 or 2 in the morning putting magazines in envelopes, or membership details or cards. But it was worth it, believe me, it really was!

The Fan Club allowed us direct contact with Glenn. Weekly phone calls, seeing him when he was in the UK, meeting his mum and dad (who we are still great friends with to this day) and being privileged to see and hear things that other fans would never, ever get to know about. I can remember Karen ringing him in the studio once, during the recording of Feel, and Glenn immediately put Pat Thrall on the phone to speak with her which was great and something that we could never had hoped for in a month of Sundays otherwise.

The other main benefit was that we made loads of friends all around the world, and especially in the UK and we always bump into friendly faces at all Glenn's gigs where we a great time and relive those memories.

Sadly, it had to end. The speed of the internet meant that info on Glenn through The Voice would always be second hand and as such club numbers began to fall and, economically, we couldn't sustain it any longer. But the legacy, in a different form, has been passed to others, notably David and Shirean here in the Fan Forum.

It's great, I'm on it all the time and you may have seen the review of The Legends show I did which David kindly posted from the Manchester gig ... pics included.

So that was it. It really was a privlege doing The Voice ... we hope you all enjoyed it and got something out of it. We got a personal friendship with Glenn, and now Gabi as well, which exists still today.

To all ... keep up the Faith.

Love,
    Pete & Karen.

• This is great stuff! Any chance of having the downloadable zipped version of all the issues in one go ? :)

Labi

Labi

Live and let live

• Well David, either way I'm gonna read all the issues, but it will be much easier and cheaper for me (and others I suppose) to have them on my hard drive. I can also download them one by one which would take me much time. And that's why I think that Karen and Pete should respond positively on this matter since I don't consider this to be anything illegal since all of the issues are already on the net. Don't you agree :)
    Labi

Live and let live

• :thumbup:

David ... it's OK with us if you create the zip files so that members can download onto their PCs.

The Fan Club will not be resurrected so there would be no opportunities to raise funding by selling 'past issues', so let the true GH fans in the Forum have the chance to download them for themselves.

Cheers ... Pete.

• ...thought it about time to get these out and about again... so if you or a friend has been looking high and low for 'em, simply click the image below where you can dowload one or all issues.

Wow!!!

Thank you for uploading!!!

I LOVE GH FOREVER!!!!! :cool:

• Thanks Shirean, it's great being able to download and look back on The Voice of Rock! For me, these are like a new treasure ! I will enjoy ! :D

• Thank you so much Shirean...it's so interesting for me...I didn't know about this and you just opened my eyes... :thumbup:
    I was wondering...is there any chance to issue again The Voice magazine?

• I have all the issues at home,Karen and Pete did a great job.
    I was always lookin forward to the next
    magazine.
    I remember they tried the make a fanclub only video (yes video tape those days) that was recorded at Preston. Sadly it never happend..

Nice to hear they are fans for life and doing well.....

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!