• Just got my copy of the album yesterday, and I have to say that in general I am impressed. It would have been very easy for Glenn and Joe to do another album just like the first one, (and I'm sure many fans would have wanted just that), but I have to hand it to them; rather then play it safe and run out a set of classic rock retreads, on HTP 2 they've assembled a bunch of songs that, though they are respectful of their roots, are steeped in a variety of modern sounds and colors. HTP for college radio is how I'd brand this one. Classic, yet modern. Mainstream, but alternative. You get the picture...

While it is to hear the two "Voices of Classic Rock" that most people will by this album, (and well they should, Glenn and Joe are both in fine form here, blending their voices together flawlessly as only two singers of their calibre ever could), a special nod has to be given to Glenn's guitarist and right hand man, JJ Marsh, whose playing on this album is simply superb. He plays with an astonishing array of variety and texture on this album, and while some may say that he is not the best of the guitarists that Glenn has ever played with, (there are so many greats to choose from - Blackmore, Thrall, Moore, Iommi, Norum - everyone has their own favorite for different reasons), there can be no denying that Marsh is certainly one of the most versatile players Glenn has ever had the good fortune to work with, and you have to respect that. Wherever Glenn wants to go musically, JJ can be right there beside him, and that can't fail but to impress. Even with the likes of none less than Steve Vai on the album, Marsh is still the main man on the six string here when all is said and done.

Though not every song is a winner on this one, (Joe's ballad, "Time and Again", seems a bit by the numbers when compared with the avant garde quality of so many of the songs on the album for example,) most are simply top notch, with my personal favorites being "Losing My Head", (check out the unbelievable vocal performance from Glenn near the end of this one!), "Lost Dreams" (Heart would have done this one well, I think), and "Let's Talk About it Later" (if you ever wondered what vintage Whitesnake might have sounded like if Glenn were writing with Micky Moody, then here's your chance to find out).

Though there can be no denying that Glenn was definitely in the driver's seat for this album, HTP is now identifiably a band more than a project, and with his undeniable contibutions on this album, Marsh is nothing if not an equal player here. Moreover, Glenn and Joe have definitely hit on a formula that allows them to truly sing these songs together in a way that blends their voices and talents like few other groups today could. In short, HTP has hit its creative stride, and though there may well be some naysayers who would have preferred a more traditional sounding album from them, I suspect that everyone will agree that Glenn and Joe have forged a special and creative partnership which will only ever allow for bigger and better things from here on out.

-Marc Fèvre
    Napa, CA

• Great review Marc.....it's funny how the Steve Vai solo just totally blends into the background. It seems like every time I hear it I completely forget it's him...in fact I think I usually tune out during that solo....but what's that quote from Coverdale about nobody can hum a Steve Vai solo?

JH

• I agree - Vai's work blends in well on this one. Personally, though I recognize the tone as Vai's, I'd be hard pressed to call it a stand out solo. That's not a criticism on its quality, mind you, it's more like recognition of the fact that Vai came in and really played something to fit the song as opposed to making his prescence known with some sort of musical exclamation point.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!