waiting for Charley

• Going to be a fun day today waiting for hurricane Charley. Hopefully it won't be too bad. They keep moving landfall to the North which makes it a little better for us here in Orlando. At one point we were in it's direct path, but luckily, for us, that changed. We are still expecting lots of wind, rain, and nasty conditions. At least David got his wish, a day off from school LOL! The sherriff has ordered us all off the streets by 2 PM to await the arrival. Got a few more things to clear out from around the house so they don't become missiles in the wind. The most we are expecting is wind damage causing power loss for a bit, and some of trees to be knocked down, par for the course unfortunatly. Hopefully power will not be out long as I require an hourly computer fix LOL! See ya on the other side.

Kat
    http://www.jeffcoffey.com

• We only see those events on the news Kat - but of course they're very real for some of you out there.

Take care x

'The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return'

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• Hi Kat & any other Floridians
    The day after & hope all is as well as can be expected with you.
    In common with many other Brits,I am a fairly regular visitor to your lovely State,staying when we can on Sanibel Island, so obviously am concerned for the welfare of the island & people/wildlife there.
    Have just checked out the News-Press website with it's photos of the damage.
    Let us know how you faired.
    Best wishes
    Ben

• Kat,
    Hope things went at least somewhat OK for you in the storm. We spent two full days loading up our valuable belongings (stereo system, CDs) into two cars, boarding up, sand bagging, caulking, etc.. Then we headed out and saw that the storm was staying South and then heading inland. I am still in shock at the damage in Lake Wales, Wimauma, Bowling Green and across Polk, Osceola and Orange Counties.
    Had the storm stayed on original course our little island would be part of the Gulf of Mexico today. We were the fortunate ones once again, but those whom took a hit are in our thoughts here. I did lose considerable land in Port Charlotte, but fortunately we had not yet begun building and developing and no one was living there.
    Again, hope Kat did well and (I hope we don't have to go through this all again for Earl this week.
    Frank

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• Hey Kat-
    Hope all continued well for you- has anyone heard from Kenny and Caroline? Hope all went ok for them too. Frank- quite an ordeal! I feel very fortunate not having any problems on the Gulf coast out side of Houston ("knock, knock") in my 12th year of residency here. Good luck to you as the second potential approaches.

Mark

• I "talked" to Carolyn...I think the day after the storm hit. She said they were ok, not hit too hard.

Chip

• To all our friends--
    Thanks for your concern, we were not "hit" at all... In fact, the next day was bright and sunny here. We took the usual precautions being that they really didnt know which way the storm would turn. Our day was extremely muggy, cloudy and windy. They thought we would get alot of rain being on the east side of the storm... We are quite thankful, and we feel for everyone that suffered a loss.. Reminds us all that we are mere mortals on this earth. Hope Kat posts soon, as she was probably in the path as it cut across the state. We are keeping close attention to the next surge of activity out there. Part of the hazard of living in this beautiful state, just as California is with it's earthquakes.... Thanks again for thinking of us and please all keep in touch...
    Love, Kenny & Carolyn

• Just to update some out there. I have a friend who evacuated from here to Orlando for Charley. He called this afternoon, and the residences in the Orlando area are not expecting electricity to be restored for around five to seven days. Hopefully Kat is OK, but she won't be posting for a bit without power. Also, cell towers are not at 100% and it can take a long time to get a signal.
    What a mess.
    Frank

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• I got a report on the storm's damage, from
    my oldest daughter, who lives in Oviedo,
    located a little north-east of Orlando:
    NO POWER AND NO TELEPHONES.

And no idea either, of when the fallen trees
    will be removed and the power lines restored.
    Her cell phone was about to die out, and
    there was no way for her to re-charge it. Her
    father-in-law has a cell phone that can be
    re-charged with the cigarette lighter in his car,
    but that doesn't help my daughter any.

There was damage in her neighborhood (and
    some damage to their house) because the
    wind was so strong, that 6-foot sections of a
    neighbor's fencing were ripped out, and some
    of these "flying fence frisbees" hit their house.
    She told me that the wind was so loud that
    "It sounded like the IRT express, when
    it goes straight through a local station."
    (The IRT is the Inter-rapid transit; part
    of the New York City subway line.)

So I really hope that Kat and her family are doing OK,
    but I don't think that she will be able to post a message to us,
    until the power has been restored.

THINKING OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY, KAT!!!!

• I'm back...sort of LOL! Thanks for all the well wishes. We got power back at 10 this morning, still no cable so I am on dial-up. The phones here for some reason worked all the time (although, I had to dig through the store room to find a non-portable phone that didn't require electricity LOL!), the tough part was getting cell signals out the first few days after the storm. The main part of the storm was pure horror to go through. I've been through them before, but not as strong as this one when he arrived. My family made it through, and amazingly so did the house. I kept waiting for crashes through the house or at least the windows, but it went fine, just really noisy. You could hear the wood snap as the trees went, and the hiss of the aluminum fly by. Whenever we dared get near a window during the storm, we could see bits and pieces of the neighborhood disappear bit by bit through lightening flashes. The original skyline of the neighborhood is gone. One thing about this neighborhood was all the 60 to 100 year old oaks that lined the streets. Few are left standing. Both of mine are, strangely enough. It's weird how the damage is hit and miss from one house to the next. Since we made it through unscathed we spent the time with no power out with the neighbors helping them dig out. Up until yesterday, we only had one route (if you had a small car) in and out of my area. It was thrilling to see the caravan of heavy equipment, power trucks, and tree trimmers arrive yesterday. We are all very grateful for all the people from the other states and other parts of Florida who arrived right after the storm to help. There were workers here from Texas, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Georgia to help us out. My neighbors and I took time to talk to them and thank them all personally for the help. Plus to pass along word to the others with them we didn't get to meet. I took a bunch of pictures that I will upload to my yahoo site once I get cable back, with dial up it would take awhile LOL!

Kat
    http://www.jeffcoffey.com

• Hi Kat!

Boy are we all relieved to hear you're ok!
    I can't believe the damage. Yikes! It's so sad about the old trees. I'm glad yours are still standing. I hope nobody in your neighborhood was injured.
    It's sooo nice to know there are people who care and came from all over to help! Keep us posted!
    Take care Kat,

Ann & Christian

• Very much still thinking of you and others Kat. One of my girlfriends will again be in Florida, in two weeks' time, but of course things will be very different this time around.

Keep smiling.

'The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return'

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• I am glad that you are OK Kat..I have friends in Tampa and was quite concerned about them. The forecast was calling for an incredible storm surge that was supposed to leave much of Tampa underwater....but the storm turned east before it reached the Tampa area. My brother talked to the guys and they are alright....and VERY lucky since many in the state were savaged by Charley.

Here in the Shenandoah Valley, we got some of the leftover rain..but you never can really appreciate the power and fury of such a storm unless you are in the very teeth of it..

I am grateful that all of you Florida GHCP's are safe!!

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

:ghcp:

www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!