Marty Friedman, What a Dork!!!

• Just read this on Metal Sludge, Marty must be the only guitarist that thinks this....what planet was he born on????

"17. In your opinion, do you believe Jimi Hendrix was overrated?
    Yes. He was a good guitarist, but I can only name 2 or 3 of his songs. He influenced most of my favorite players though so go figure. I believe that if everybody in the audience wasn't tripping on hallucinogenic drugs, Hendrix and Greatful Dead and all those other hippies would have
    never gone anywhere."

• Sorry folks - I love Hendrix. And I ain't into 'tripping' either. My biggest fix is music, music and music - and dance!

;)

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• It's not about liking Hendrix because he was part of the revolutionary, trippy 60's music scene. All one has to do is listen to his debut album to hear sounds that no one had ever come up with before. While the Doors were blowing minds with the Lizard King, and Grace Slick & co. were urging you to "feed your head", and the Grateful Dead were busy tripping out the masses at Ken Kesey's acid tests...Hendrix kicked open the door and laid down a blistering guitar sound that could peel the paint off the walls. Anyone with open mind and ears could hear that.

I'm not a huge Hendrix fan, having only two of his albums. But I am willing to recognize what he did. Marty Friedman's comments come across as ignorant. Even if he knows only two or three songs, as he says, he does say that his favorite players were influenced by Hendrix. And so, by extension, would Marty Friedman be.

Cheers...Todd

• Interesting... I interviewed Marty Friedman last year and now I know why I couldn't really feel at easy with him... he thinks Hendrix is overrated... I really like Jimi's playing (I own over 50 albums (inlcuding live stuff and demos that is) so I'm probably not very objective here. ;)

Reminds me of Blackers who once said the same thing, but in the meantime played parts of Hendrix tunes in his live set (anyone remembers Hey Joe during Purple 1991 or Rainbow 1995?).

cheers!

- Fedor

• Hendrix was a master craftsmen who inspired so many others who went on to great things, Blackmore, Beck, Clapton etc.

People forget he also wrote the lyrics for his songs.

Jon Lord said in an interview that Ritchie seeing Hendrix live was the turning point of his life and music. "In Rock" may never have happened otherwise.

I love Glenn's version of Freedom on TWII.

"It's in my blood"

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• Also, the guy can barely name three songs????

All Along the Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Voodoo Chile, Crosstown Traffic, Little Wing, Angel, Purple Haze, Stone Free, Third Stone From the Sun, Wind Cries Mary, Fire, Freedom, Machine Gun, Hey Joe. Sheesus, like it or not these are essentials of loud soulful rock and roll here. Marty Friedman is truly a very ignorant moron.

JH

• Hmmm isn't All Along The Watchtower Bob Dylan's song? i don't know who wrote Hey Joe - but I think it wasn't Jimi....
    ...and wasn't Hendrix into Pete Townsend's guitar playing/smashing?

btw. Living Colour played nice version of Cross Town Traffic in Amsterdam this week's Monday...icon_smile.gif

T :)

• "Hey Joe" Was written by Joe South I think... But when Purple did it (right after Jimi did...I'm pretty sure), the album I had (Shades?) Deep Purple was wrongly credited for the writing.

M.

C'mon AD- I know your out there...what are the facts here? :)

• I merely am listing notable Hendrix songs, whether he wrote them or not doesn't matter, (and I know he didn't write the two discussed) Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower is simply one of the greatest guitar orchestrations ever, and if I had to pick one song to play the solos to it that would be the one. His version of Joe is also the definitive one.

JH

quote:
    Originally posted by wolfysmith:

People forget he also wrote the lyrics for his songs.

I love Glenn's version of Freedom on TWII.

Yes, to me Jimi's music is not only about the guitar... I am not exactly a guitar freak, I prefer soul to technique anyway, and Jimi had a lot of soul, he could express his feelings with his instrument, and this was very important at the psychedelica times. I am a big fan of many psychedelic bands, including Hawkwind who are simply inimitable. One of the main aspects of their work were lyrics. See, Joe Lynn Turner wrote a lit piece on 'Axis: Bold as Love' song when he was in college! It is just to show that there's a whole lot to think about conveyed in Jimi's lyrics.

Jimi's songs are very well crafted in the sense everything fits in place: his guitar, his voice, his lyrics... everything. Think about Syd Barrett who was also maybe not perfect technically (Yngwie is, so what? Does it qualify him as a 'genius'?) but a gifted songwriter/performer as well. Tommy Bolin was also of this kind: a person who can explore his inner world and find a way to express his feelings so that they could touch the strings in the souls of many other people.
    I love Glenn's version of Freedom too, and especially the mix by Lol Tolhurst (have a kind of passion for electronica and stuff too).

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!