• My brother got his copy of Joe's new album "JLT" today (before I got mine....dammit!) He gave me a swift blast of the tracks while I'm waiting for mine, and I gotta say, Joe is rockin'!

Only one obligatory JLT ballad, and the rest is no frills good old unfashionable hard rock. Joe delivers his usual awesome vocals and he writes a couple of tunes all by himself which is a rarity. One track has real Free influence, and another is probably the heaviest thing he's done since Mother's Army's "Moururoa Atoll".

When I get my copy I may get round to writing a full review if anybody is interested. From the first glimpses it sounds like a worthy partner for SITKOR. Roll on HTP 2!

I get the impression it's another solid rock effort from "pop" singer JLT, so be sure to check out the inevitable scathing reviews when they appear in Classic Rock and on the Deep Purple forum.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

• JLT offers 12 songs of traditional hard rock. I like the fact that former Megadeth guitarist Al Pitrelli is back workin' with Turner. He gives much more edge tho Joe's songs. This album
    sounds lot better than SLAM or Holy Man.

2003 is a great year: JLT, Bananas, SITKOR, HTP2...

• My copy arrived on Saturday and I gave it a proper listen. Joe really sounds great on this CD.....his high raspy rock voice that is unlike anyone else in the business is all over this album.

I was real pleased when Al Pitrelli teamed up with him again too, because I thought "Nothing's Changed" was a melodic rock masterpiece. For anyone who's not heard it, I'd say "Nothing's Changed" is to JLT what "Feel" is for Glenn. Mature songwriting takes priority over the rockers. The title track is a great example....just excuse the awful sleeve shot where JLT says he was made to "look like Madame Butterfly"!

This is far more rocky than "Nothing's Changed", but it sure gets your attention. Very high energy, and another worthy release to Joe's enormous back catalogue.

JG

• Here's the review for anybody who wants my take on album:

Joe's new album "JLT" boasts the return of Al Pitrelli, and features other respected hired guns such as John O'Reilly, Greg Smith, Eric Czar, Karl Cochran and others. The album starts with:

In Cold Blood - A great riff to open the album, that would happily live on "Slam" or "Holy Man". It's a rare track as Joe writes it all by himself, but you wouldn't know that Akira or Al Pitrelli weren't involved. Joe delivers his usual rock vocal and it gets you rocking from the beginning. We then move to

Jump Start - The tempo slows down to a looser feel and Joe rasps his way through a sleazy tune. Once into this song you realise this sets the tone for the full album. Hard rock and roll is the order of the day, as the next track proves.....

Dirty Deal - starts with an organ drenched riff and Joe lets out a laid back clean vocal before going back into rock mode for one of the catchiest choruses on the CD. It's the kind of chorus that you can sing along to second time around once you've heard it. The pace then slows without warning as we are told

Love Don't Live Here - It's a ballad that JLT excells at. As was the case on "Slam", I think the ballad (the only one on the album) was obligatory from the record company's point of view, but it's by no means a weak song. We move back into rock territory with Excess - a much more moody, haunting song. The sound of Joe's voice is very well produced, and the song builds up with the electric guitar power chords appearing and remaining from the chorus onward.

Next up is Let's Go - A great riff gets you moving, and Joe goes raspy again. everything is great until the chorus, and as big a fan of Joe as I am, the chorus SUCKS. It's nothing to do with what Joe sings, it's the backing vocals. It just sounds like a load of blokes singing in a pub. I liked the song until that point and Joe is hitting some great notes, but this crap chorus ruins it. I'd much prefer Joe to have bellowed the "Let's go everybody!" in his Mothers Army "Another Dimension" / AC/DC "Back In Black" voice than have it delivered by a bunch of his mates.

Nevertheless, we progress to Cryin' Out Loud - which helps repair the damage by kicking in in bluesy rock style. Joe alters his delivery accordingly, and Greg Smith's bass bounces you along to the chorus and we'rere back in true JLT territory.

Then we get Fantasize - which is another moody rocker. Joe sings deeper for this one as oppose to his more gravelly approach (although that is still there) and this track grows on you with every listen. The next song is

Blood Fire - This is drenched in a bluesy Free feel and Joe does a great Paul Rodgers-esque vocal to compliment his second composition on the CD. I always liked Joe better than Paul Rodgers and I dig bluesy rock so this track impressed me straight away.

The next offering is Drivin' With My Eyes Closed - As the title may suggest, it's a fast paced rocker, and the organ / guitar combination offer another riff similar in style to "In Cold Blood" and back in the "Slam" territory. Joe sings just a touch lower than the "Another Dimension" voice I was talking about, but he hits some belting notes in this one. Listen out for when he sings "....you can eat my dust!" Al Pitrelli does a great job on this which sounds like a pure Akira track to me.

Hit The Switch - brings the album to a close, and it's the heaviest song on the CD. It's very reminiscent of "Moruroa Atoll" from the classic Mother's Army - "Fire On The Moon" album. Joe belts out a vocal similar to "Moruroa Atoll" and the song fades out to Reprise - which closes the album down with a slowed down version of the "Hit The Switch" riff with Karl Cochran solo-ing over the pumping rhythm section.

So there you have it. A highly enjoyable album, no frills unfashionable rock and roll. Very little I could dislike, and a fine follow up to "Slam". Personally, from Joe's solo back catalogue, I like "Hurry Up And Wait" and "Nothing's Changed" the best, but this is a worthy addition.

JG

• James, I agree with most of your review. I do think Nothing Changed is one of Joe's best work. I'd have to say the "JLT" the record is my favorite, but I also like that heavy blues rock too (so it's a personal taste). I know it's a cover record, but the first Undercover is awesome too.

I thought Slam was fairly weak and to those who dug "Hurry Up and Wait" and "Holy Man", they'll probably dig "JLT". There is a link to an entire review of mine at JTL website at http://www.joelynnturner.com Click on the Reviews and then scroll down (should be the third one).

The only song I didn't like was the ballad, but as you said it was probably obligatory. I've heard the new Brazen Abbot too and it is quite good. I'll try and post a review of that and SIKOR when I get a chance.

Aloha,

Frank

Frank B.

Frank B.

• Oh, no question Frank, the two "Undercover" albums are amazing (Joe's version of "Lady Double Dealer" kicks ass!). I love them both....it proves Joe, Glenn and Jeff Scott Soto are cover version kings. With their tribute album appearences and the like, they've, prove there's nothing these guys can't handle. The only other vocalist in the hard rock field who I think can match up to them for knocking out a cracking cover is Jorn Lande.

JG

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!