1,000 UK pubs to get Wi-Fi

• Soon you'll be able to enjoy browsing your favorite web sites and check your email from the comfort of your local watering hole

The Cloud - the UK-wide broadband Wi-Fi network that's part of Inspired Broadcast Networks and Leisure Link Group - is to launch its service in more than 1,000 pubs in the UK later this week.

The Sunday Times reports that a number of pub chains - including Punch Taverns, Mitchells & Butler and Greene King - will be offering the service. The Cloud is aiming to roll-out its Wi-Fi service to 3,000 locations by the end of the year.

Full details are to be announced on May 21st when the service is officially launched.

Talking of pubs, BT also wants to bring wireless broadband to thousands of boozers across the UK.

The monster telco is unveiling a new 'off-the-shelf' product developed in tandem with Toshiba that will turn an ADSL connection into a Wi-Fi "hotspot".

The Wi-Fi "hotspot in a box" costs £400 or under £300 for the self-install version. BT is looking to flog the gear to pubs, restaurants, small hotels - even garage service stations!

And anyone who buys BT's Voyager ADSL wireless modem for the home from the Carphone Warehouse will get six months free Openzone 120 access, worth £60.

• You're the first on the button as always with information, Shirean. Where DO you get it all from?

I don't really frequent public houses - they're either very smoky or absolutely full to the brim with people knocking each other's drinks over (or so it always seems to me). Give me a dance floor any day.

No doubt the techno wizards will be here shortly with their wonderful knowledge ...

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!