• I read in the news today that major record companies are thinking about using software that will disrupt a persons PC if they download pirate music files on the internet.The PC could freeze for an amount of time and/or may have to be re-started,therefore unsaved data would be lost.Another way mentioned was that you would be directed to a site for legal purchase.

Cheers...

Pete S.

ps.correct me if i'm wrong

• Cool....that's what I like to hear. I see people copying CD's that have just come out for their friends at neighbours at work and it really bugs me.....my collection spills into hundreds and not a copied album among them. Bootlegs yeah, but the artist isn't losing royalties from them because they never released them.

Couple that with the web being swamped by mp3's and is there any wonder the industry is in such disarray? I've never used Napster or sites that offer downloads by "sharing". I've used a couple where you pay for the track (some of the VOCR ones for example) and I felt it was cheap and I got a quality mp3 at the end of it. I personally welcome anything that makes piracy more difficult.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

• I agree James...you can't get something for nothing.

I'll sometimes make a little sampler CD for a friend, and it usually prompts them to purchase the artists' CD - just like I did for you and JSS. Same with Chip and Talisman/JSS. And just like another friend with Fish. Most of my friends who are very into music would rather have an original CD in their hands than an MP3 copied from somewhere. And if there are MP3 samples online, they should only be one minute samples of songs, as many sites have. What more is needed for someone to determine they like a song and want it in their collection?

Who out there wouldn't be pissed to find out something they worked long and hard on, and on which they spent a substantial amount of money, was being freely distributed among people who were simply too lazy and inconsiderate to obtain it by paying for it?

Just my two cents...Todd

• Damn right Todd.....making sampler CD's for people is great. The JSS you did for me prompted me to buy the Boogie Knights album, and on the strength of me playing that CD, my brother and best friend have both asked if I can order a copy each for them. A guy I know did me four or five samplers and I bought UFO's "Walk On Water", The Law and Michael Schenkers "Written In The Sand", none of which I would previously have considered, and I love them three of them dearly.

Sampler CD's more often than not increase the artists sales, but bombing over to a "share" website to "trade" mp3's is bullshit. Buy them by all means, but don't get them for nothing. I'd welcome a huge site like Napster in design but where you could pay maybe $2 a song to get those elusive tracks you've always wanted in your collection but didn't want the entire album. I'd sign up straight away.....there are a few sites like it but most deal in smaller unknown artists.

JG

"How can you lose, when you're destined to be a winner?"

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!