For the Purple fans ...

• An article in April's issue of Classic Rock states, with the title 'We don't sound like Kid Rock!' -

Deep Purple fans can relax, the band's long-awaited follow-up to 1998's 'Abandon' sounds nothing like Kid Rock, despite the latter's producer Michael Bradford working with them on the record. The new-look Purple - with former Rainbow/Whitesnake keyboard player Don Airey replacing Jon Lord - will issue the album in time for their summer UK dates with Lynyrd Skynyrd, and according to bassist Roger Glover although Bradford co-wrote with the band there's "no rapping" in evidence.

"It was pure joy to record wtih a classy producer," Glover says. "I watched him deal with the pressure, the stress, the heartache, the loneliness of the long distance runner, and he did it with such style and aplomb. We've completed 13 songs and we have a title, which I cannot divulge. Until they're mixed, no decisions have been made regarding what goes onto the album. Michael did some writing with us, and he engineered as well as producing. There's no rapping, and we don't sound like Kid Rock."

"You can't compare it with anything we've done in the past," singer Ian Gillan concurs, adding: "which is the whole point of doing it as we have done."

Meanwhile, Jon Lord recently sat in at Australian shows by former Uriah Heep bassist Bob Daisley's new band.

Also ... on the 'Communication Breakdown' page was a letter titled 'Rock on, Tommy' from John Spence, Blyth - I always look forward to buying Classic Rock every month, and the March edition was the same. I am over the moon because of the Every Home Should Have One feature - Tommy Bolin's 'Private Eyes.' This is one of my favourite albums, and I think it is a great compliment to the album that it is featured in this section of your great mag. Hopefully some people will buy this album and realise how great the man was. I know I have bought loads of albums on the strength of the features and reviews in your mag.

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!