New Whitesnake Lineup Official

• Coverdale's webmaster has made it official...Ten days earlier then expected: You can see the message at DC's website:

http://www.davidcoverdale.com/index3.html

Click on tour announcement at the top of the page.

The lineup is also on today's news at:

http://www.melodicrock.com

The question is though, will DC sound halfway decent on this tour or will this be the embarassment of his career.....Fans won't put up with it if DC comes out not able to sing as he did at Mark and Brian two years ago where Glenn outshone him dramatically. With Glenn out there night after night this year and every year the past ten years singing some of DC's old DP classics with power and vitality...and DC barely able to wheeze through Burn and his Whitesnake 87 stuff at the Mark and Brian show...It doesn't give you a good feeling about this. I mean sheesh.....I just saw the footage on TV of McCartney's recent US tour....He was hitting every high note without trouble on both the old Beatles and Wings classics like Hey Jude and Maybe I'm Amazed....and he's what 60????? Perhaps since he's supposedly stopped smoking DC will have gotten his voice back, either that or he'll have to hire GH to help via some sort of onstage relay system the way Boston does it....Brad Delp during his songs hands over the high notes to Boston's other vocalist Fran Cosmo during their concerts!!!!!

JH

• I too had reservations about David live. He does howl when he tries too sing his 87/Slip Of The Tongue stuff, and the new line up does suggest that would be the kind of material he'll be hammering out. However, the man himself has said on his board he wasn't happy with his live performances on the Restless Heart tour and he was ill for most of it (I saw him on this tour and I must say he was still pretty good) and he has quit the cigs and is very positive about his voice now. I hope he proves to everybody he still has it....in his day he was awesome and he's been locked away for too long. I don't think comparing him the Glenn does him any favours though. Glenn's always had the better range and the sheer power.

JG

• Personally I think it's a very solid line up. I don't know who other people were expecting or hoping for, but its an extremely capable band, boasting a rock solid rythmn section and two very talented six stringers, but with the spotlight landing quite firmly on David. I just hope he's still able to swing a mike and do his "Tarzan impression" as he calls it.

JG

• I think 'solid' is what I'm disappointed in! As to who I would have liked to have seen, that's a very good question!!!!

I'd have quite liked to have seen a band of newcomers. Or perhaps a bluesier influenced band?

Don't get me wrong, I like all the musicians in their own right (don't know the keyboard player's work).

It just seems a bit too much like an 'identikit' melodic rock band to me. Having said that, I personally think that touring without an album, especially if going back to the Whitesnake name is a bit disappointing in itself.

• Yeah, I agree that touring on a package show gives the impression that it's a "come and hear the hits because we have nothing new" sort of arrangement, but perhaps David is testing the water in the American market as to how Whitesnake are received there. I mean, lets face it, "Slip Of The Tongue" was the last time Whitesnake were really a name in the States and that was 1989.
    As for how Coverdale will sound on the tour, I am optimistic. He wasn't happy or well on the Restless Heart tour (and he hasn't toured since then) and it was mostly record company obligation to drag the 'snakes round the world. Now he's happy, healthier (apparently) and HE wants to tour. This could simply be a jaunt to get him back into it, a bit like he did in 94 for "Greatest Hits". Or I could be way off base...we'll just have to see. I know I'll do my utmost to see them if they come my way.

JG

• Personally I'd be astonished if they do any Purple stuff.

Like most people I reckon the emphasis will be well & truly from 1987 onwards. Any other stuff will probably be limited to the occasional nod to earlier Wsnake & maybe something from Into the Light. I suppose Gypsy Rose Top Cat wouldn't totally rule out a Coverdale/Page track.

Can't see anything surfacing from the original solo albums. Shame, coz I still rate Northwinds as the best thing DC has done, bar NONE!

That's probably the root of my disappointment - I've always wanted David to spend more time SINGING rather that shouting & screaming (bellowing - eg Mistreated - is just about OK!).

Restless Heart went some way towards it but was much too polished.

• morjens,
    or what do you think - is Ronnie James Dio happy that he lost guitar player, is John Sykes happy that he lost bass player and drummer - actually that goes to Ted Nugent and Thin Lizzy tooo.:)
    I think Ronnie and John & co are not going to have holiday during WS tour...DC could/should have chosen different guys - IMHO of course.

palaillaan,

T:)

• Don`t be fooled for a minute. I remember the reviews Coverdale`s last album got and it seemed the Press were raving over it. I bought it and thought it was one of the worst thing`s he`s ever done. If that had sold any copies at all do you think he`d be touring under the Whitesnake banner ? As far as I`m concerned, there are two Whitesnake`s, the original featuring Marsden, Moody, Lord, Paice, Murray and the U.S. version of the band that put the nail in the coffin of a great British band.
    I mean, Vandenberg, Vai, in Whitesnake ?
    Nah, sorry, not for me.
    Still think old Cov has got a great voice, but can`t remember the last time he used it on a decent song .......

• Quote from andyb

Don`t be fooled for a minute. I remember the reviews Coverdale`s last album got and it seemed the Press were raving over it. I bought it and thought it was one of the worst thing`s he`s ever done. If that had sold any copies at all do you think he`d be touring under the Whitesnake banner ? As far as I`m concerned, there are two Whitesnake`s, the original featuring Marsden, Moody, Lord, Paice, Murray and the U.S. version of the band that put the nail in the coffin of a great British band.
    I mean, Vandenberg, Vai, in Whitesnake ?
    Nah, sorry, not for me.
    Still think old Cov has got a great voice, but can`t remember the last time he used it on a decent song .......

I have to agree with you, the original line-ups of Moody/Marsden/Murray/Lord/Paice are much better than the post 1987 versions of the band and the current band. Today if I had to choose between David Coverdale's or Glenn Hughes' music, I'd go for Glenn Hughes. Sorry, but DC's "Into The Light" album was a disappointment in my opinion. I mean David is a good singer with a great voice, but I don't like the musical direction that he went towards after "Slide It In".

Ayesha

• Hmmm I am sorry to have called Fran Cosmo and Brad Delp a bad name. I've since seen them twice with Boston since writing that. Brad still sings a lot of high notes and I noticed no problems with his voice. Fran is just there to help out and keep the fatigue down. The system works great and those guys sound amazing together. I wouldn't want to see Boston without them. I was wrong.

John

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!