• The DPAS reports:

quote:
    It was always likely that the critical and commercial success of the EMI remastered Deep Purple albums would continue with the three remaining studio albums. EMI asked Roger Glover to oversee work on the Burn reissue. After talking with Ian Paice and Jon Lord it has now emerged that they are happy for him to do so.

The other news is that Simon has tracked down all the masters for "Burn", including the b-side, and these will be checked later this year. Tapes for the other albums are still missing however. With everything else that's going on the earliest we would expect "Burn" would be 2003. Don't pre-order!

Sounds pretty cool to me!

• It's great news that this is in progress...but I don't know..does it seem odd and even wierd to you that Roger Glover will "oversee" the Burn remaster?!?! Of course, he'll do a good job...but wouldn't it make sense to have some who was actually there the first time around? After all, they would know what needs "tweaking" and what doesn't!

It's not a big deal, but just feels odd! Just my 2 cents

• quote:
    Originally posted by David:
    It's great news that this is in progress...but I don't know..does it seem odd and even wierd to you that Roger Glover will "oversee" the _Burn_ remaster?!?! Of course, he'll do a good job...but wouldn't it make sense to have some who was actually there the first time around? After all, they would know what needs "tweaking" and what doesn't!

It's not a big deal, but just feels odd! Just my 2 cents

Yeah well... EMI obviously approached Roger and he asked Jon and Paicey about it because he probably thought it was odd too and not his own work either.

I also read a Glenn interview where he stated that he'd love to oversee the remastering of the Mk3/Mk4 albums himself in case Roger would refuse to do so.....

• Hi folks...

Glenn's comments were from the interview I conducted with him late last year. The full interview can be read at http://www.the-fuze.com, and was graciously reprinted in the latest issue (#50) of the Coast To Coast e-zine.

***If EMI Records continues with the series of Deep Purple re-masters, will you take part in their release?

I would love to be part of those re-masters. I asked Roger Glover three years ago “Are you going to re-master ‘Burn’?� He said “I wasn’t on that record.� I said “I know, because if you’re not going to do it, I need to do it.� I’d like to be part of that.***

Cheers...Todd

• Glenn - time for someone to get on the phone - we need you to take over the project

From dpas:

"It was always likely that the critical and commercial success of the EMI remastered Deep Purple albums would continue with the three remaining studio albums. EMI asked Roger Glover to oversee work on the Burn reissue. After talking with Ian Paice and Jon Lord it emerged that they were happy for him to do so. However, Roger Glover has decided not to get involved in the Burn remastering project after all, according to EMI's reissue department. We'll keep you updated on this as soon as we have more details.

Simon Robinson has tracked down all the masters for Burn, including the B-side. Cassettes of the Burn rehearsals have been located, but sadly the sound quality is not good enough for them to feature".

• From DPAS .....

quote:
    Work has been progressing on the Burn master-tapes. Simon Robinson has heard some of the new remixes and reckons they are really powerful, with some stunning work on "Sail Away" in particular. It is hoped that the remixes will be finished by the end of October, but due to the delays, it now looks likely that the album will appear early in 2004 as a Thirtieth Anniversary Edition
  • More from DPAS with mention of Glenn getting involved

quote:
    EMI asked Roger Glover to oversee work on the Burn reissue but in the end he decided not to get involved in the project. Instead the extra match-mixes are being done at Metropolis studios in London. After this it is hoped Glenn Hughes will check the results and provide input into the project, which he is keen to do.

Simon tells us that the new match mixes are really powerful yet stay true to the balance and spirit of the originals, with some stunning work on Sail Away, a real boost for Mistreated and a total face-lift for You Fool No One. It was hoped that the remixes would be finished by the end of October, but due to the delays it now looks likely that the album will appear early in 2004 as a Thirtieth Anniversary Edition. The CD will of course also contain the original album mixes, digitally remastered, along with the B-side. Cassettes of the Burn rehearsals have been located, but sadly the sound quality is not thought good enough for them to feature, though Abbey Road are having a listen to see if some snippets can be rescued. EMI have given http://www.deep-purple.net the OK for some exclusive sound clips shortly, so watch out for these.
  • The latest ....

quote:
    The album has been scheduled to appear in April 2004 as a Thirtieth Anniversary Edition. Latest thinking for the track line-up is as follows:

Remastered album: [1] Burn, [2] Might Just Take Your Life, [3] Lay Down, Stay Down, [4] Sail Away, [5] You Fool No One, [6] What's Going On Here, [7] Mistreated, [8] A 200. Single b-side remixed: [9] Coronarias Redig.

Bonus remixes: [10] Burn, [11] Mistreated, [12] You Fool No One, [13] Sail Away. Total running time 71.49

Cassettes of the Burn rehearsals have been located, but sadly the sound quality is not thought good enough for them to feature. There has been discussion of a true 5.1 mix but such a mix has not been done and is not currently scheduled.

• Coverdale's take on the remaster...

quote:
    Former DEEP PURPLE/current WHITESNAKE frontman David Coverdale has commented on the upcoming the 30th Anniversary, remastered edition of DEEP PURPLE 's classic "Burn" album, due on April 14 through EMI Records.

"I just received the test pressing of the 'Burn' remaster from EMI to review," David said in an online posting. "I'm not sure about the 'remixes' they have done with an engineer they chose, but the band sounds KICK-ARSE!!! I was surprised to see they are releasing the album so soon as EMI only asked me last week to write the liner notes for the reissue CD booklet. Oh, well... We shall see... I was quite having fun remembering those days. I never really 'think' that far back, and I am always shocked at how much I actually recall once I start thinking about it. There is no doubt in my mind how powerful we were as a band. Just wait 'til you hear it remastered. My assistant and I felt the level was a little 'soft', so we are suggesting they CRANK IT UP!!! After all, this is PURPLE we're talking about!!! I haven't heard most of the songs for many, many years, so they sound fresh and vital to me. Splendid stuff!!! What an extraordinary time in my life."
  • Another update....

quote:
    The Burn 30th Anniversary edition CD is progressing. There is also the chance that a limited vinyl pressing may also happen. The DPAS Online Store have advertised this, and anyone wanting a vinyl edition is advised to pre-order as this could make the difference between it going ahead or not.

The original April date may slip into May due to some extra work on Coronarias Redig. The remixes were done at Metropolis studios in London late last year and sound really powerful.
  • I do remember someone posting on the DPAS Q&A section how if ever a Deep Purple album needed remastering it was Burn. I have been very pleased with the EMI / Deep Purpleremaster program thus far and am especially excited about the remixes....hope that Glenn got to provide some input into the project.

Yours In The Funk
    Bill "Capt. Midnite" Redford

Yours In The Funk

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• Another update....

quote:
    Further work on Coronarias Redig has been completed, and the CD may be ready for a July 2004 release.
  • Aw man....they are killing me!!

But all great things are worth waiting for..are they not??

All knobs to the right!!

Yours In The Funk

Yours In The Funk

:ghcp:

http://www.facebook.com/bill.redford

"Cause if you fake the FUNK..your nose got to grow!" Bootsy Collins

• The BURN vinyl edition has been confirmed. It will be a 2 LP set. Disc 1 will have the album remastered, Disc 2 will have the remixes. The vinyl edition sleeve will be a wide spine version of the original, with the two albums in picture bags inside.

"It's in my blood"

:ghcp: "It's in my blood"

• The latest update...

quote:
    BURN On Double Vinyl

EMI say that the Burn double vinyl album will be sold on "initial orders only" basis; in other words they will do one pressing to cover this and no more. It may be that demand could cause them to change their mind but previous DP vinyl was all done this way so don't miss out if you fancy it. Pre-order at the DPAS Online Store.

Glenn Hughes has listened to the remaster and mixes and says he's really pleased with the results. He has also penned his recollections of the album.
  • Finally a release date

quote:
    The Burn 30th Anniversary edition CD is now due out Monday, September 27th, 2004 according to EMI.

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!