Deep Purple Tour USA & Canada

• It appears they won't be too far from my home! I will have to get tickets !!!
    Thanks Yvonne !

Got my ticket for August 20th in Elgin, Illinois - Deep Purple and The Orchestra — which features former members of Electric Light Orchestra

I'm in the 2nd row - center stage!

• Per the Event details, I'm assuming 'The Orchestra' will be opening the show as a 'special guest'. But, it would be great if they join DP for part of their show ! We'll see! :)

The Orchestra is comprised of the following members from ELO: Louis Clark, Mik Kaminski, Eric Troyer, Glen Burtnik, Gordon Townsend and Parthenon Huxley :thumbup: Unfortunately, no Jeff Lynne, but I'm there to see Purple ! :D

• Got my ticket for August 20th in Elgin, Illinois - Deep Purple and The Orchestra — which features former members of Electric Light Orchestra

I'm in the 2nd row - center stage!

That's great, Blue! :thumbup: Once DP enters the stage, you'll be on your feet.

I was wondering about that Orchestra too.

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• If you have the chance, go and see them. They are at their peak and the new songs presented live are brilliant.

This is to wet your appetite, a stellar review! :clapper:

http://www.moderntimesmagazine.com/page19/Music_D…rple_140808.php

At the Ventura County Fair, unfortunately I can't watch the video from this side of the pond.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/ventura-c…unty-fair-video

• Went to Costa Mesa last wed and Saratoga this wed, during Monterey car week! Also saw Toto last Thurs, two bands at the top of their game. Gillan in excellent voice on his third night in a row, perfect mix and the band was stellar. Top notch. I had a good seat Wed and even better this week.

• Deep Purple in Elgin, Illinois was a GREAT show by the band.
    Everything was fun and full of spontaneity !
    Here is the set list...

1. Highway Star
    2. Into the Fire
    3. Hard Lovin' Man
    4. Strange Kind of Woman
    5. Vincent Price
    6. Contact Lost
    7. Uncommon Man
    8. The Well-Dressed Guitar
    9. The Mule
    10. Lazy
    11. Hell to Pay
    12. Keyboard Solo
    13. Perfect Strangers
    14. Space Truckin'
    15. Smoke on the Water
    Encore:
    16. Hush
    17. Black Night

• Deep Purple is sadly unappreciated in US and Canada right now. I saw them live last year and they were awesome but the fans there only wanted the old songs. I was wanting to hear some more of the new songs played live

• Deep Purple is sadly unappreciated in US and Canada right now.

Maybe you should read the reviews on the Highway Star, they say something different.

As far as I can judge it, this must be Purple's most successful US tour in a long time.

• Here's my comments . A rather bizarre night in Saratoga, would have been as good as Costa Mesa.

Caught them in Costa Mesa where they played a stunning perfect set, then at the fantastic Mountain Winery in Saratoga a week ago where they also did great but screwed up two songs they play every night. I've never actually seen an arena band of this level screw up like that , except for Ray and Robby screwing up the Wasp in the same place my tribute band used to run into trouble on, that was funny. I am still stunned by how good Don's solo is, it's the best in the business at this point. I went to Saratoga as I was in the area for Monterey Car Week. I think I did more left handed air drumming the past two weeks than in my whole life. It was awesome to be just feet from Ian Paice in Saratoga, he dropped a drum stick , that's also a first. Gillan was in good voice on both nights , I was stunned to find out later that Costa Mesa was his third show in a row, that's a killer on your voice, but I would not have guessed it. He turned 69 on the 19th, and does not embarrass himself at all. Here's some comments I posted on Highway Star.

I was fourth row right in front of the drums and for the most part the show was great. Unfortunately they botched Lazy pretty badly, during the modulation at the end where it goes back to the verse, neither Don, Steve or Roger were in the same key. Something weird also happened in the middle of Space Trucking, with Don getting very angry and yelling the chord E at Roger, – pretty funny to see the replacement guy yelling chords at the guy who’s on the recording. I suspect the higher altitude could have caused these mistakes, I had this happen to me last month at a gig. Other than these , the show was as good as Costa Mesa, and the added playing time and songs was great. Most people would not notice- we musicians hear everything. The guy sitting next to me also noticed the mistakes when I mentioned them. Gillan went and had a little laugh and head shake with Don after Lazy about it and the band were doing the whoops body language all musicians do after mistakes . Also it was fun when Gillan noticed my air keys playing during highway star , nodded at me and started doing it too – that was cool!

• Didi you know that during his time apart from Deep Purple, Gillan formed the predictably-titled Ian Gillan Band, which released 6 albums between 1978 and 1982. He was also in Black Sabbath for a short time

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!