• Hi all. It's quiet here. Thought id try and create a bit of a discussion.

I was listening to BCC Live in the car today. I was enjoying it, and i started to think about how Glenn said that the straight rock format wasn't really his thing, around the time of HTP, and in fact he was quite dismissive of the HTP albums.

So i thought about how enthusiastic he is about BCC, when he was so negative about HTP.

So is BCC, the songs, albums, musicians significantly better than HTP? It is slightly difficult to compare, because he is the main singer in BCC, whereas he obviously shared duties with JLT in HTP.

For what its worth i think HTP were just as good, if not better than BCC. Is that sacrilege?

So what do people think?

Paul

• Well Paul, I am a HUGE fan of HTP and do prefer those albums, especially the live disc, to BCC. The HTP tunes still get me thinking of the Purple/Rainbow days and seem more spontaneous than the BCC stuff.
    I enjoy them both greatly, but given the choice, I'd go with HTP.
    That is just one opinion of many you should hear.

Frank:div27:
    "if only we'd turn around and notice the door to the cell is open"

• HTP got 2 great singers and they are in concert more powerfull (lot's of Purple and Rainbow classics). But BCC got great compositions and are more bluesy with Bonzo"s son behind the drumkit. So to me they are both GREAT :thumbup:

| Burn | Stormbringer | Come Taste The Band

• Both high quality, but HTP for me ;)

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

• For overall body of work, the nod goes to HTP for me :thumbup:

I liked both studio albums & the live one alot :bow:

As for BCC, I really didn't care for the 1st one much, it seemed more

like a Glenn solo album to me. The songs just weren't that strong!

The 2nd one was really good though :thumbup: I still don't like Joe B. & Glenn

together! Not much magic, seems forced! JMO

SCOTT

• Most previous answers have something I have to agree with.
    Both I like.
    Although BCC have the better songs I think I prefer HTP more because the albums flow better.
    Some of the BCC songs I don't like that much.
    Still don't care that much about Joe B.

• :cool: since Tommy Bolin no other guitarist had inspired me so much like Joe Bonamassa.
    Although Steve Morse and Steve Lukather are Giants too, no doubt, i am grateful for what Bonamassa had done for Rock and Blues.
    But Bonamassa alone for me is weaker than together with Glenn and BCC!

HTP is history, what i 've heard from them for me seems indeed to be a lil forced,
    perhaps that kinda 80's spirit i don't like, but who knows.

The BCC songs are really good stuff, for me both studioalbums are equal quality.
    I cannot say what i'd prefer, the drum sound from the debut is very charming.
    I'm hoping to hear soon about new projects from them, i saw their magic life on stage, and there was a lot!!

BCC rules! :bow: :D

• He is always dismissive about these projects. I never heard a word from him about Voodoo Hill. I'd love to hear what he thinks about that albums, especially Wild Seed of Mother Earth.

• bcc because bcc is real band with all members of the band contributing as opposed to htp which was really glenn and jtl writing songs -good songs mind u :claphands but still just that

• He is always dismissive about these projects. I never heard a word from him about Voodoo Hill. I'd love to hear what he thinks about that albums, especially Wild Seed of Mother Earth.

I preferred the first one.
    Wild Seed was a bit too dark.

I think the first two of The Cage (Dario Mollo and Tony Martin) were great too.
    Didn't care much for their last one

• This is always going to be a difficult comparison, because HTP and BCC are different animals. HTP really mined that 80's rock vein - which is what Joe Lynn Turner brought to the table, along with perhaps Glenn's hughes/thrall vibe, but essentially it was quite steeped in 80's rock, and some of the songs are superb. BCC is clearly vintage 70's and makes no bones about it. But there is an element about HTP that trumps BCC hands down....the twin vocal. Whilst I like the vocal interplay between Joe B and Glenn, HTP's twin vocal attack harks back to the glory of Glenn and Cov on tracks like Lay Down Stay down or Might just take your life.

On a personal note, I'm having a problem with Joe B at the moment. I think he's tipped the balance between sound marketing and annoying cyber 'doorstepping'. He'll be selling his used baseball caps next! Enough already!

It won't work with this music lover, because I'll be opting out of his mail list now. It's just too much.

• On a personal note, I'm having a problem with Joe B at the moment. I think he's tipped the balance between sound marketing and annoying cyber 'doorstepping'. He'll be selling his used baseball caps next! Enough already!

It won't work with this music lover, because I'll be opting out of his mail list now. It's just too much.

I think it's no secret here that I've never understood the hype about Mr. Bonamassacre. And I've never been on his mail list.

What is his ever faithful street team trying to sell you, Kev - his used bubble gum? :p :D

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!