• I've almost finished My Boy by Philomena Lynott.

The beginning of the book tells the story of his mother, a bit too long for my liking. Than his troubled youth, his rise to stardom and ultimately his death.

I've read Glenn's book also , but this book (my Boy) is so much more intense. The last days before he died are devastating, it really grabbed me.

The difference is maybe that Glenn survived and Phil not. And that it's written by someone very close to him, someone who was there (almost) till the end.

Tonight I hope to finish this book.

• I read the updated version of 'My Boy' whilst on a 2-day trip to Dublin last March when I visited the Philip Lynott Exhibition for the first time.
    The book had just shot to the No.1 Bestseller spot in Ireland and the city was full with advertisements of both the exhibition and the book.

A fantastic read, that I can HIGHLY recommend to anyone.

What a life story....
    What a woman!

Cheers,
    Christian

MEDUSA

• Will start to read Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors and Angels again.

I'm planning to go on a holiday to Ireland at the end of the year.
    When I 'discovered' Thin Lizzy and Phil Lynott I was hooked for life.
    Love his music and his lyrics.
    When our first son was born we called him Philippe.

• I have finished it in the meantime. Would like to know your opinion about this one, John.

Finished it last weekend on a trip to Ensenada. I enjoyed it, and there were quite a few things in there I learned such as exactly which chateau Down To Earth was recorded and a pic of it- I'd never seen that before! I knew that Blackmore smashed up cheapo Strats, and it was fun reading how that was done. There were some good tidbits in it and I got the deluxe edition. I enjoyed the pics and tour faxes in the deluxe edition, it was worth spending the money for. It was a fairly quick read but worth getting . Also just got the Bowie book I mentioned here and have started in on it, it's great! Am halfway through the Ford book and every page is absolutely fantastic. Ford's stock today took another step back to respectability, so Wall Street is taking notice of the great job Mullaly is doing. I just saw mention on the runboard that JLT might be doing a book- that would also be worth getting, if and when it comes out. Not sure what book I'm getting after I'm done with Bowie. I'll find something!

• I wish I could read German as Glenns auto has my pic on the front of the German edition

Really? Where and when did you take it? :thumbup:

To be honest: I prefer the original editions as the translations are very often just a big pain in the you know where... ;)

There's a German edition of Ozzy's Doctor book. I haven't read it, however, I doubt very much that they used the Ozzy language in the translation... Much too shocking for the average German soul :D

"I might have been born in Liverpool, but I grew up in Hamburg." John Lennon

• Really? Where and when did you take it? :thumbup:

To be honest: I prefer the original editions as the translations are very often just a big pain in the you know where... ;)

There's a German edition of Ozzy's Doctor book. I haven't read it, however, I doubt very much that they used the Ozzy language in the translation... Much too shocking for the average German soul :D

It was taken at High Voltage last year :thumbup:

• I was at Barnes and Noble last night and spontaneously bought Mick Wall's When Giants Walked the Earth Zep book. It looks really really good. Already have learned some cool things just thumbing through it. The Gregg Allman book arrived today, but it's down the street at me mum's where I get packages, no time to get it yet.

• Finished it last weekend on a trip to Ensenada. I enjoyed it, and there were quite a few things in there I learned such as exactly which chateau Down To Earth was recorded and a pic of it- I'd never seen that before! I knew that Blackmore smashed up cheapo Strats, and it was fun reading how that was done. There were some good tidbits in it and I got the deluxe edition. I enjoyed the pics and tour faxes in the deluxe edition, it was worth spending the money for. It was a fairly quick read but worth getting .

I just got the normal version. And there are still a lot of good photos in it. Like the wedding pic of Ronnie James Dio, with Colin towering above the whole party.
    It's a shame, IMO, how it all ended for him. He practically gave his life to this band. Bruce Payne seems to be a real a**hole.

Next one for me will be "Rockers and Rollers" by AC/DC's Brian Johnson.

For those who will probably never go to Sydney - here's Brian, taking you around the city in a Roller. Nice idea! :clapper:
    [ame='

Brian Johnson Rocks Around Sydney in a Roller - YouTube[/ame]

• [quote='JohnH','RE: Other Books was at Barnes and Noble last night and spontaneously bought Mick Wall's When Giants Walked the Earth Zep book. It looks really really good. Already have learned some cool things just thumbing through it./QUOTE]

John, IMHO....it's one of the better books on Zep......the only part that. to me, bogged down the book was the chapter about Aleister Crowley......BORING!!! :thumbup:

• In addition to the book from Colin Hart: This is an interview from 2008 with Rob Fodder, who used to be PA to Ritchie Blackmore (he had quite a few of them... :D )

Of the various members who have been through the Deep Purple who have you kept in contact with still?

I speak with Glenn Hughes and Joe Lynn Turner quite often and have been in contact with Jon Lord by e-mail.

http://www.getreadytorock.com/bstage_heroes/rob_fodder.htm

• I wish I could read German as Glenns auto has my pic on the front of the German edition

It's a great pic, you can be very proud that it was chosen for the German edition! I wish they would have picked one of mine... ;)
    (Your full name for the copyright gets mentioned in the back as well, L.M. :cool:)

That's it - hopelessly addicted to the voice from Cannock... 8)

• During my holiday I read Sammy Hagar's Red Rocker.

It was a fun read.
    What a musician, what a businessman.

Nowadays he's just criticizing Van Halen. Saying Chickenfoot is a much better band blablabla.
    He doesn't need that.
    In his book a large part is about Van Halen. He's criticizing them a lot, but on the other hand he still praises them for their musical abilities.

• Currently reading Eccentric Man: A Biography & Discography of Tony (TS) McPhee, by Paul Freestone.

Tony McPhee is a blues/rock guitarist from England and is most notable for founding the band, Groundhogs. Also, the Groundhogs would be the backing band for John Lee Hooker and other American blues artists when touring England.

Chip

• Andy Fraser has also published his autobiography :cool:

"ALL RIGHT NOW: LIFE, DEATH AND LIFE AGAIN"

so far only available as Kindle edition

http://www.amazon.com/ALL-RIGHT-NOW-…rds=andy+fraser

[ame='

Fraser - Autobiography "All Right Now... Life, Death and Life Again" - YouTube[/ame]

Quote from a recent interview with Andy:

You've just played again at Wembley Arena on September 29th for the Jim Marshall 50 Years Of Loud tribute. You got to perform with Glenn Hughes on the Free classic 'Mr Big'. How was that for you?

"I love Glenn Hughes. He is a wonderful guy, fully recovered from his cocaine binging days, and only interested in giving back. A very generous soul, and one of the world's best singers.

"I had a blast, and totally love working with Glenn, and we have talked about more joint ventures."

http://metaltalk.net/columns/201017116.php

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!