• David, Ad stated that the Black COUNTRY album will be out in summer 2010.....are you saying that it will be in the spring (March)?....or do you mean Joe's latest solo album Black Rock will be in March? :confused:

• Hi Chutsler,
    you're putting David in a catch 22 situation; he can't say anything yet, remember :singer:

The Black Rock solo album sounds like a great attention grabber to get word on the Black Country band out...:clapper:

• David, Ad stated that the Black COUNTRY album will be out in summer 2010.....are you saying that it will be in the spring (March)?....or do you mean Joe's latest solo album Black Rock will be in March? :confused:

Joe's solo album, "Black Rock", will be released in March. The band's debut release will be later than Summer!

The Black Rock solo album sounds like a great attention grabber to get word on the Black Country band out...:clapper:

Yeah, it's honestly a pure coincidence with the name thing! No need for conspiracy theories :) just pure coincidence - you could say, 'it was meant to be', since the "Black Rock" JB solo album name, has been in existence, a lot longer than the new band name.

• More Black Country (that's not a coincidence, we KNOW who is casting that spell, ha ha)

The name is brilliant though and has all the right connotations (Black Dog, Blackmore, Black Sabbath, the Black Country,is Black a colour? then Deep Purple counts as a link...Black magic, Blackfoot (as opposed to Chickenfoot)

• I just found this slightly amusing post on spinner website against an article reagrding the new band (unconfirmed at present)

I would kindly like to state that, I am a member of a band called BlackCountry. The original BlackCountry. We have been a band since 2007 and would greatly appreciate if this band claiming to be Black Country would change their name. I will be looking into a lawyer to fight this if it proves necessary. We have a site on Facebook, and Myspace that should prove very helpful in proving our name has been BlackCountry for years...and we will continue to represent the name BlackCountry indefinetely.

I'm sure those lawyers would point out that the space in the wording makes all the difference but I know nothing about law and band names and stuff - anyone else got any ideas what would happen with this? - I personally would laugh this out of court - I mean - heaven forbid they get more attention cos people find them when looking for Glenn's new band? And isn't there some list of registered band names that you can search when looking for a band name so you can check yours is unique? I would have thought these high profile artists producers and their managers would particularly look into this first before coming to the conclusion of their band name. Could be worng though but I doubt it! I'm a woman and not usually wrong about things (hardeeharharhar!!!)

Love and hugs xxx :)

• I just found this slightly amusing post on spinner website against an article reagrding the new band (unconfirmed at present)

I would kindly like to state that, I am a member of a band called BlackCountry. The original BlackCountry. We have been a band since 2007 and would greatly appreciate if this band claiming to be Black Country would change their name. I will be looking into a lawyer to fight this if it proves necessary. We have a site on Facebook, and Myspace that should prove very helpful in proving our name has been BlackCountry for years...and we will continue to represent the name BlackCountry indefinetely.

I'm sure those lawyers would point out that the space in the wording makes all the difference but I know nothing about law and band names and stuff - anyone else got any ideas what would happen with this? - I personally would laugh this out of court - I mean - heaven forbid they get more attention cos people find them when looking for Glenn's new band? And isn't there some list of registered band names that you can search when looking for a band name so you can check yours is unique? I would have thought these high profile artists producers and their managers would particularly look into this first before coming to the conclusion of their band name. Could be worng though but I doubt it! I'm a woman and not usually wrong about things (hardeeharharhar!!!)

I think this is stupid, I mean aren't there loads of bands out there with the same names. I'd be surprised if there aren't quite a few bands named Black Country, present or past.

• not sure about Joe doing any of the vocals. He is ok doing his own solo songs, but would rather it was left to Glenn alone. Will just have to wait and see.

I've only really got into Bonamassa in the past year and he is a wonderful singer, full of soul and passion, quite like a young Paul Rodgers. I'd go as far as saying that if he's only playing guitar and not singing with Glenn in this group then it'll be a real shame.

cheers
    John

• So David? Is it now official?? ;)

Nope, soon though :)

I think this is stupid, I mean aren't there loads of bands out there with the same names. I'd be surprised if there aren't quite a few bands named Black Country, present or past.

It's not uncommon, but not too worry, meantime, if you want to check them out, feel free by going here and here :)

• Nope, soon though :)

It's not uncommon, but not too worry, meantime, if you want to check them out, feel free by going here and here :)

David - I have to say I love your cheeky sense of humour - it's right up my street and you have me rolling around loads with some of your responses!!!!! :claphands

Love and hugs xxx :)

• Black Country makes me think of Big Country on the one hand, but it also makes me wonder what Glenn meant when he said the band name was appropriate for the group? I suppose they could call themselves Black Cloud, which would be kind of a reference to Glenn's days with Trapeze...but any turn of bad luck with the group would then be attributed to their name. LOL

As for the similar band name/album comments...forty years ago Gary Moore was in the band Skid Row, a power trio out of Ireland. The band recorded three albums which can still be found on CD without too much fuss. And then a decade and a half later comes this band featuring Sebastian Bach called Skid Row...

There was a Canadian death metal band called Slaughter which released a few albums well before anyone had ever heard of a hair band called Slaughter named after its helium-voiced singer Mark Slaughter...

Then there are similar band names like The Faces and the Small Faces...The Who and The Guess Who...Whitesnake, White Tiger and White Wolf...Iron Maiden and Iron Butterfly...Skeleton Witch, Axe Witch and White Witch...Black Sabbath, Black Oak Arkansas, Blackfoot, Black Stone Cherry and Black Crowes...Def Lepp and Led Zepp...ok, you get the picture :lol: I can't even remember my point now!

• "Black Country Woman" is on Led Zeps Physical Graffiti album. Plant himself is a "Yam Yam".

Anyone who came to the Robin2 gigs last year via the M6 at J10 would have driven down The Black Country Route.

I just wonder if some politically correct idiot at a record label thinks they are black guys in a Country group. Or even rappers with attitude!

for more info on The Black Country read the wiki page here.

• Hi,

this new Supergroup is a great new, all all great musicians, Joe is a fantastic guitarrist, Glenn's voice is unique and a great bassist too! and it will be nice if they sing any song of the album together.

Cheers.

Pere

• From Gary Moore's Skid Row's wikipedia page:

In 1987 Moore sold the name Skid Row to the American heavy metal band for $35,000.

Sebastian Bach: "When (Skid Row) got signed to Atlantic, Gary Moore heard about it and said we could have the name for $35,000 U.S. dollars. 'We have to pay Gary Moore 35 grand to use the name,' and so we, as a band, did buy the name from Gary Moore. We were all glad to do it because it is a great name for a band. I remember saying, 'Wow, that's a lot of $, but we gotta do it!'"

In 1987 Moore sold the name Skid Row to the American heavy metal band for $35,000.
    Sebastian Bach: "When (Skid Row) got signed to Atlantic, Gary Moore heard about it and said we could have the name for $35,000 U.S. dollars. 'We have to pay Gary Moore 35 grand to use the name,' and so we, as a band, did buy the name from Gary Moore. We were all glad to do it because it is a great name for a band. I remember saying, 'Wow, that's a lot of $, but we gotta do it!'"

That's interesting - I never heard about that until now. Common knowledge was that Brush Shiels, Skid Row's bass player in the 70s, sued the American band claiming the name unsuccesfully. I never knew that Moore was involved. I thought the name belonged to Brush Shiels. Might be a matter of bad editing on wikipedia though?

As for the Black Country band name... I think this will have been sorted out when the band is being officially announced ;) Or - as Todd suggests - Glenn & Co. can still call the band Black Cloud, or even Black Country Side :cool: - an excellent band called Black Mountain is already out there, you know...

Ch.

MEDUSA

• That's interesting - I never heard about that until now. Common knowledge was that Brush Shiels, Skid Row's bass player in the 70s, sued the American band claiming the name unsuccesfully. I never knew that Moore was involved. I thought the name belonged to Brush Shiels. Might be a matter of bad editing on wikipedia though?

As for the Black Country band name... I think this will have been sorted out when the band is being officially announced ;) Or - as Todd suggests - Glenn & Co. can still call the band Black Cloud, or even Black Country Side :cool: - an excellent band called Black Mountain is already out there, you know...

Ch.

I remembered reading that quote from Bach in an interview, which is why I looked it up. So, I think the wikipedia entry is accurate, though who knows if Bach's memories of the deal are! As far as the band name, I don't like any band name that starts with "Black". I was just discussing this with someone last month. Not only with classic rock, but with all the new indie bands (like Black Mountain), there are just waaaay too many bands with Black in their name now! But, at least this has some meaning to the band (since it refers to the area Glenn and Jason grew up in). I really don't care, though - it sounds like it will be a pretty cool project no matter what they call it!

• As far as the band name, I don't like any band name that starts with "Black". I was just discussing this with someone last month. Not only with classic rock, but with all the new indie bands (like Black Mountain), there are just waaaay too many bands with Black in their name now! But, at least this has some meaning to the band (since it refers to the area Glenn and Jason grew up in). I really don't care, though - it sounds like it will be a pretty cool project no matter what they call it!

Maybe they could call the project 'Bon Bon Hughes'??!

• Well, speaking as another 'Yam yam' from the Black Country (although currently half a world away in NZ), I'm pleased about the choice of name. I appreciate that it doesn't mean much to most folks, but it means a lot to me, and obviously to Glenn & Jason too.

Bostin'! :cool:

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!