Glenn's Autobiography

• Just in case anybody missed David's earlier piece of info since I hijacked the thread with my jubilant purchase update and feedback regarding the speedy response form Foruli............

As I've said before, this first incarnation, is not for everyone, but right now this is what is being offered. If and when a regularly published edition is ready, that will be announced here on the web site. Of course, "regular" editions are being given consideration, they're just not ready now, that is all. What is ready now for announcement, are these limited edition's and so they're being announced and available for pre-order for those fans that want it.

Again, an announcement here will follow when alternative edition(s) are forthcoming. It would really help if you guys would read this thread in it's entirety, it would save you a lot of grief ;)

Cheers :cheers:

Love and hugs xxx :)

• It would really help if you guys would read this thread in it's entirety, it would save you a lot of grief ;)

I have David, and "exclusive.. they mean it...not released elsewhere for 20 years" seems pretty conclusive. I can wait for a regular edition of the book, but I might not be able to wait 20 years for the tracks :)

• I have to say I am digesting all this...

At the very start I felt whacked-a-back with how the things look like since the offer even with the Stormbringer off-price code is more than a half of my monthly pay...

But then again I feel a buggin' fancy. My birthday is 2 days after offer expiry and some friends ask me about 'Whatcha wanna get for a b-day present?' If they can draw me a half of the price with their input, I could make it... Bread and water for a month, but it's bearable. It's still gonna be sort of ridiculous to me (I never was a wealthy person), but truly an extraordinary present on the other hand... For once in life, why not?

Damn, I never thought I could get to this stage just because of a fancy! ;) And some dare to say they know much about themselves! ;)

If you have a spirit of love to carry the day,
    the spirit of your love will show you the way
    (Paul Rodgers, The Firm - "Spirit of Love")

http://sunbyrocks.blogspot.com

• Wow!! I just read all the thread!
    I can't wait to read the book, I've been a fan for many years and was excited to hear of the Biography! The price tag took the wind out of my sails though! I think heres the saddest fact... If you just spent $800 on a book(work of art!) would you take it out of it's cellophane wrapping?? Would you put an $800 record on a turntable and risk it getting damaged? IF I could afford it it would have to become a family legacy to passed down...unopened!
    Sad to think these unreleased tracks will, apart for 1 or 2 people remain unheard!! And realistically the rest of us will probably have to wait at least a year for an affordable release!
    BTW
    What happened to the litary Event Glenn mentioned??

• Wow!! I just read all the thread!

Are you sure?

Sad to think these unreleased tracks will, apart for 1 or 2 people remain unheard!!

500 actually!! There will be 100 records on white vinyl (the 'Deluxe' sets) and 400 on black vinyl (the 'Regular' sets).

As news of what you might think of as a 'traditional' printing run is available, you'll hear about it then. For now, these limited editions, are what is available to pre-order.

• Are you sure?

500 actually!!

As news of what you might think of as a 'traditional' printing run is available, you'll hear about it then. For now, these limited editions, are what is available to pre-order.

I am sure!!
    I thinks you missed my point. I would NEVER play an $800 piece of vinyl! Most people who buy this are gonna be purely collectors who are never gonna play the record. So I would say that a good 90% of these 500 book packages will remain sealed! So, realistically only a small handful of people will hear these songs!
    This I think risks another problem... Illegal downloading. It's possible that at some point someone will bootleg the tracks and sell them (8th Star / DEP sessions were not released at all and they got out!)

• I thinks you missed my point. I would NEVER play an $800 piece of vinyl! Most people who buy this are gonna be purely collectors who are never gonna play the record. So I would say that a good 90% of these 500 book packages will remain sealed! So, realistically only a small handful of people will hear these songs!

They won't be wrapped in cellophane, plastic or anything else apart from maybe some paper - the books will be sent in a shipping carton. The publishers are collectors themselves and thought they would remove the ‘to leave sealed or to unseal’ problem. This way, anyone who buys a volume will be able to enjoy it!

This I think risks another problem... Illegal downloading. It's possible that at some point someone will bootleg the tracks and sell them

Nothing a lawyer can't sort out :) After all, the books will be delivered to a name and address, right :D

• Nothing a lawyer can't sort out :) After all, the books will be delivered to a name and address, right :D

My thoughts exactly, but why put the temptation there in the first place??
    I'm from England and I saw so many times Movies/CD's/TV shows bootlegged because they had limited releases (Released early in different regions) I understand the concept of regions, but surely bootlegging can be reduced buy removing the opportunity! I remember reading once that at any one point in time only about 3% of music is available commercially (Legally) What happens if you want to buy back catalog and it's been deleted?? That's where Napster, Kazza and all the others came in!!
    Sorry....Bootlegging is a pet peeve of mine!

• My thoughts exactly, but why put the temptation there in the first place?? but surely bootlegging can be reduced buy removing the opportunity!

Well, nothing would ever get released in that case, whether it be movies, music, books, toys... you name it!

Laws are in place to alleviate that concern, so no need to worry :)

• A final reminder before time runs out...

• it's about 30 years I have been waiting for this at least, a Glenn's autobiography but... all you guys out there must be very lucky to afford a £300 book! If I spent that amount for this my wife would kick me in the ass and I would not be so proud in front of my kids to be honest...
    I also as many of you have been spending money in buying everything that featured Glenn on it in the last 36 years and never had to regret it.
    As someone else pointed out, this "limited edition only" thing sounds like a joke... with all due respect to the man, I just wish the story of his life could be a little more "popular"!
    all the best
    the cat

• The recent stormbringer discount made the Regular Limited Edition a bit more reasonable and competitive with the likes of Genesis Publications. As noted previously these are limited editions(100 & 400) targeted to a niche market.
    Should be neat when they post some photos of the finished book.

For now, I'll have to put this on my wish list right behind the Collector Edition of Classic Hendrix.

Oh, does anybody know the book's dimensions?

George

• The publishers have just confirmed the tracks which will be on the EP enclosed with the Limited Edition of ‘The Life, Near Death, and Rebirth of a Rock Star: Deep Purple and Beyond’.

These are ALL NEW RECORDINGS EXCLUSIVE TO THE EP:

What Is A Woman's Role?’ (Trapeze, written by Hughes)

‘Holy Man’ (Deep Purple, written by Hughes, Coverdale, Lord)

Dying To Live(brand new, unreleased GH track, vibey and bluesy... written by Hughes... acoustic version)

• Hi,
    I understand that "limited edition" is not for everyone - "limited edition" kinda already says it...but I wonder who it is for? For book collectors? Is that what Glenn Hughes fans needed?

I understand that they - who ever they are - want to sell out those "limited editions" before publishing a "fan edition"...but I also think they caused unnessessary bad blood with this decision.

They could have published a normal version at the same time - I mean - I wouldn't touch the pages of that expensive book with my dirty fingers...I'd put it in my vault or on my Glenn Hughes shrine...
    So persons with "limited edition" most likely - if they care about their precious book - need a regular version too...at least the ones that are into reading books...

...just my two cents...

T :)

• I think what they are doing is great and showing serious respect to Glenn. Brand new recordings of Trapeze and Purple - hell yeah! I'm so excited and cannot wait to get my hands on a copy. I will be reading it too, and playing the record.

I was taking a look at their website. Looks like they are also doing editions with Ginger Baker and Peter Hook, and have also got them recording EPs. I can't figure out if this is a high end publisher or a high end record label. Either which way I'm saving up! I'm just so pleased that they are releasing records rather than horrible digital downloads. I love records and am glad vinyl is being kept alive by people like this. There is something about handling and listening to vinyl that you just can't beat.

• Thats awesome news David and I also will be reading the book and playing the EP - the reason I am buying it! My dealing with the publishing compamny when placing the order were A class and I expect the product to live up to the service provided too! Can't wait!

Love and hugs xxx :)

• what is a woman's role? one of my favourite Trapeze songs. Sad to be missing out on this limited edition but hey what can you do!

Marie, what is a woman's role. Is it to do the cleaning, washing up, ironing??!! :D

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!