Express & Star June 2009 Robin2 Review

• Quote from Keith

....with the addition of Glenn's voyage through the octaves.

As you annoying British people are wont to say ~
    Nice touch, that.
    And I liked the "the George Harrison of Deep Purple" comment.
    I agree with your take on Glenn's DP years.
    All in all Keith, a great review with lots of snappy sentences :lol:

And I'm glad that Glenn made everyone's brains fall out with this "double whammy" event.

axmuremoticon.gif

• Thanks Grace. It's often difficult to express what a positive influence had on Deep Purple and I was just picking up on one or two comments made by Glenn on the night which made me think that Glenn was thinking outside the box at the time, stretching the band's boundaries. Holy Man is such a timless song which does not pander to any genres. Harrison was very similar. If you think about him bringing Eastern influences into the mix (when he was allowed to) the Beatles legacy was richer for it. I know Purple had a different writing style but anyway ...this post was supposed to be 'Thanks Grace' but I thought I ought to expand a bit on that point, as you only have so many words in a review to say wotcha wanna say. Here we can discuss it.

• Glenn was thinking outside the box at the time, stretching the band's boundaries.
    Harrison was very similar. If you think about him bringing Eastern influences
    into the mix (when he was allowed to) the Beatles legacy was richer for it.

As they say in church basements around the world...........BINGO!

For how many years have I posted the same comment here on GH.com,
    that I'm always surprised whenever somebody has the exact opinion as I do.
    Or should I say: Baby I'm amazed? :lol:

Nobody from DP management asked for my vote back in the day (1974)
    but I could never figure out why you would invite Glenn Hughes into a band,
    only to sing back up. In an earlier age (the 1950s) would he have been asked
    to sing "sha-boom" sounds in a do-wop band? That's kinda like saying:
    "Hey, Michaelangelo......I'll paint the ceiling. You do the trim wood around the doors." :rolleyes:

Lennon and McCartney? Not too shabby none.
    But those 2 guys needed each other. They needed the electricity, the sparks,
    the ego if you will, to play the game of......I'm better than you are.
    I'll take your mediocre/average song, and up the voltage with my contribution.
    And that's how, folks, we got the Beatles songbook.
    Yeah, yeah, there are a few exceptions of only one composer, blah, blah.
    But let's not talk about their solo careers, OK? Wings? The Plastic Ono Band?
    Oh, please...........

But George, God bless him, stood on stage, in the middle, for a reason.
    The quiet Beatle didn't need to do anything except let his music do the talking for him.
    One of his earliest Beatle songs, "Don't Bother Me" already had that unique Beatle harmony going for it,
    long before George could find India on a map of the world.

I don't like the word "favorite."
    "Favourite" to you, as-previously-mentioned-annoying-Britiish-people.
    As in.......for example, "I don't have a favorite Glenn Hughes album."
    If Glenn thinks a new CD is good enough for him to put his name on it,
    that's good enough for me. This method has worked out pretty well :)

So back when every kid on the planet was divided into one of the "Fab Four" groups,
    George wasn't my favorite Beatle. I didn't have one.
    But I always thought that he might prove to be the most interesting.

Of all the gazillions of books that came out celebrating his too-short life,
    if you haven't already read this one, get it. Interviews from the past back issues,
    plus up-dated comments from fellow musicians, family and friends.

Harrison: By the Editors of Rolling Stone Magazine

PS~ And I still think that "Ferry Cross the Mersey" is one of the greatest songs of all time.
    ~~~ If you ever happen to run into Gerry Marsden.......tell him that I told you, to tell him so.

axmuremoticon.gif

• Grace thanks for that and also David for the online link.

I have met Gerry Marsden twice at events and he's a "sound" lad as we say in Liverpule. You'll Never Walk Alone is his too but that's not such a good song as it's dedicated to the wrong footy team! When I see him again, I will mention that he has a NYC admirer with a penchant for axe work :)

• ... I have met Gerry Marsden twice at events and he's a "sound" lad as we say in Liverpule. You'll Never Walk Alone is his too but that's not such a good song as it's dedicated to the wrong footy team! ...

:eek: You are forgiven Mr Thompson :p

'You thought that you could take me for granted, but I couldn't take it no more. Better run if you see me coming ... '

Join in now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our Community!